3 of 4 Louisiana teens who carjacked and dragged 73-year-old grandma to her death will serve just 15 years in prison after striking plea deal

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

3 of 4 Louisiana teens who carjacked and dragged 73-year-old grandma to her death will serve just 15 years in prison after striking plea deal​

By
Social Links for Richard Pollina

Published Nov. 21, 2023, 6:37 a.m. ET

Three of four Louisiana teenagers charged with murder for carjacking and dragging a grandmother to her death have struck a plea deal to avoid life in prison.
Briniyah Baker, 17, Lenyra Theophile, 16, and Mar’qel Curtis pleaded guilty to attempted manslaughter for killing 73-year-old Linda Frickey in New Orleans on Monday, 4 WWL reported.
The three teens were dealt a 20-year prison sentence and will serve at least 15 years each.
The guilty plea comes more than a year after Frickey’s gruesome death, in which her arm was severed.
“I felt relief because that’s what we’ve been after this whole time for justice,” Jinnylynn Griffin, Frickey’s sister, told the outlet.

Griffin said she feels “sadness” for the teens despite them taking accountability for the death of her sister.

Linda Frickey was violently carjacked by four teens in March 2022 and was dragged by her car until her arm was severed, and one of the teens kicked her away, resulting in her death. 6
Linda Frickey was killed in March 2022 after the teens carjacked her in a New Orleans neighborhood, dragging her body, trapped by her seatbelt, nearly a block until her arm was severed.Family handout
“They probably did not want to do what they did, as to go as far as the murder, but they still were trying to steal a car. That’s still a felony,” she told the outlet.

The three girls apologized to Frickey’s family in court and asked for forgiveness while in court.

“I think they really were sincere in their apology, and we appreciate that they did admit their guilt and accept their punishment and hopefully as time goes on, everyone can heal,” Frickey’s sister-in-law Kathy Richard told the outlet.

The three teens were dealt a 20-year prison sentence and will serve at least 15 years each. 6
The three teens were dealt a 20-year prison sentence and will serve at least 15 years each.WGNO-TV
However, the family will have to return to the courtroom to hear about the death of their loved one in detail as a fourth defendant, John Honore, 18, will be going to trial.

“John Honore deserves no mercy,” said Richard. “We’ll give him the same mercy he gave Linda. None.”

“We want him to get the maximum. He drove the car. He stomped on her,” said Griffin. “The girls, they were all there for the ride, but the issue we had with them is they didn’t do anything to stop it.”

The guilty plea comes more than a year after Frickey’s gruesome death, in which her arm was also severed. 6
The guilty plea comes more than a year after Frickey’s gruesome death, in which her arm was severed.WGNO-TV
All four defendants had been charged as adults with second-degree murder in connection to Frickey’s death after they violently carjacked her in a New Orleans neighborhood and dragged her for nearly a block after her arm got stuck in her seatbelt in March 2022.

Disregarding the grandmother’s life, the teens reportedly stopped the vehicle to open the door so Honore could kick the grandmother into the street after her arm detached and her clothing stripped away.

Frickey was trying to put something in her car when the teens “jumped in and kicked her out, and she got caught in the wheel well,” an eyewitness told WWL-TV at the time.

The teens violently carjacked her in a New Orleans neighborhood in March 2022. 6
The teens violently carjacked her in a New Orleans neighborhood in March 2022.WWLTV
“I heard screaming, like, ‘You’re about to die’ screaming!” the witness said.

Neighbor Leanne Mascar had been walking in the area when she heard the screams, and described the gruesome scene that followed to Fox 8.

“She was screaming, and she was screaming to please let her go and then they slowed down and opened the door to kick her out,” Mascar said — adding that she “just started running” to help the grandmother.

“I thought if I could somehow, I don’t know what I could do, but I thought if I could dislodge her from this car … When I looked down, her body was already there, and her arm was … It’s just not something you expect to see,” she said.

Frickey was dragged nearly a block before her arm was ripped off and the teens kicked her from the car after being dragged. 6
Frickey was dragged nearly a block before her arm was ripped off and the teens kicked her from the car.WWLTV
Mascar said she grabbed a sheet to cover Frickey after she was left on the road.

“She was laying there naked, and I thought the indignity she just suffered; it was already too much.”

Her husband, Mark Mascar, was nearby during the horrific carjacking and rushed over to aid his wife, telling the outlet they sat “beside a woman who’s a mother or grandmother and watch her fade away.”

“I was telling her to hang in there because every time I heard a siren, I was hoping and praying it was the ambulance. I kept telling her to hang in there, breathing, her eyes were moving. I’ve never seen something so horrific,” Mark added.

The fourth defendant, John Honore, 18, was not involved in the plea deal and will be going to trial for second-degree murder. 6
The fourth defendant, John Honore, 18, was not involved in the plea deal and will be going to trial for second-degree murder.WWLTV
Frickey’s gray SUV was found later that day, 13 blocks away from where she was left to die.

With the three teenage girls pleading guilty, the Frickey family hopes they will use their lengthy prison sentence as a time to reflect.

“I don’t think they really realized the impact of their actions and hopefully while they’re in jail, incarcerated, they do get involved in programs to maybe help the next generation to speak out and be an example that there are consequences for your actions,” said Richard.

Honore’s trial begins on Nov. 27.

Push for change after verdict in Frickey case​

After a long fight for justice, Linda Frickey’s family says they’re ready to move forward.

Author: Amelia Strahan / WWL Louisiana

Published: 10:31 PM CST November 28, 2023

Updated: 10:31 PM CST November 28, 2023

Facebook

NEW ORLEANS — One day after John Honore was found guilty in the gruesome carjacking death of Linda Frickey, her family came together with the district attorney's office for a press conference.

After a long fight for justice, Linda Frickey’s family says they’re ready to move forward.

“I promised Linda at her coffin as I told her goodbye, I promised her everyone would know her name and would know what was done to her, and we were going to get justice for her, and we were going to make sure that this didn’t happen to other people,” Linda’s sister in law, Kathy Richard said.

But the family is also calling for action, saying something needs to be done by the city to prevent juveniles from committing crimes in the first place.

“Bad people want you to be bad, too,” Richard said. “So if they can corrupt an innocent one, that’s a game from them. So, we need to put some roadblocks into place. And that starts with a young age.”

District Attorney Jason Williams, a carjacking victim himself, echoed Frickey’s family. He said that crime will not be tolerated by his office.

Williams a carjacking victim himself echoed Frickey's family saying crime will not be tolerated by his office.

“The conviction of Honore and his accomplices serves as a reminder that violent acts in the city of New Orleans will not go unpunished,” Williams said.

John Honore was just 17 at the time of the crime, but he was tried as an adult because of its severity. Matt Derbes with the DA's office said that the decision to try a minor as an adult is never easy.

“This case crosses a line,” Derbes said. “This was so heinous and brutal that the jury looked at that and they said despite our reservations on prosecution of juveniles as adults, this particular case it was obviously the right move.”

“In New Orleans, we have to get to a place where we value human life. We must value human life,” Williams said.

Honore faces a mandatory life sentence with a chance at parole after 25 years. He is scheduled to be sentenced on Jan. 12.

The three other defendants
Lenyra Theophile,
Mar’quel Curtis,
Briniyah Baker,
pleaded guilty last week to attempted manslaughter in exchange for 20-year sentences.

Louisiana ‘demon’ teen sentenced to life in prison for carjacking, dragging 73-year-old grandma to her death​

By
Social Links for Nicholas McEntyre

Published Jan. 14, 2024, 4:41 a.m. ET

The “demon” Lousiana teen who brutally carjacked and dragged a 73-year-old grandmother, tearing her arm and clothes off when she became stuck in the seatbelt and later died, learned his fate Friday.

John Honore, 18, was sentenced to life in prison for his role in Linda Frickey’s death in 2022 as the woman’s family celebrated that “justice was served” and hoped the teen wouldn’t make it out of prison.

“There is no remorse, he got what he deserved. He did it,” Frickey’s sister Jinnylynn Griffin told reporters outside the courthouse. “We don’t care what happened before March 21, 2022, that’s the day we worry about.

“He’s a little jerk, he’s a little punk, and he deserves to go where he is going. He is a demon, and God saw that demon that day, and that’s how Linda’s arm got severed.”

“We put away the demons now. And the future demons, they better look out because the DA’s office is not playing anymore.”

In March 2022, Frickey was loading up her car outside a business in New Orleans’ Mid-City neighborhood when she was carjacked by four teens, WWL-TV reported at the time.

John Honore was sentenced to life in prison for killing Linda Frickey after carjacking and dragging the 73-year-old grandmother down the street in March, 2022. 6
John Honore was sentenced to life in prison for killing Linda Frickey after carjacking and dragging the 73-year-old grandmother down the street in March 2022. WVUE
Honore “jumped in and kicked her out, and she got caught in the wheel well.”

She was dragged almost a block down the road before her arm was severed by a utility pole and clothes ripped off her body, according to NOLA.com.

The outlet added that Frickey suffered a torn aorta, fractured collarbone, ribs and vertebrae.

Frickey died lying in the middle of the road, naked.

Honore was found guilty by a jury in the killing during a seven-hour-long trial on Nov. 27, 2023.

In March 2022, Frickey was putting something into her car outside a business in New Orleans' Mid-City neighborhood when she was carjacked by four teens. 6
In March 2022, Frickey was putting something into her car outside a business in New Orleans’ Mid-City neighborhood when she was carjacked by four teens. Family handout
Honore called the carjacking the “biggest mistake of my life” in a handwritten apology to Frickey’s family obtained by WWL.

“I am John and I am so sorry and I apologize for you having to go through what you are going through,” Honore said. “No persons family should have to, go through that type of hurt. I made the biggest mistake of my life that day. I think about what you, and the family may be goin through everyday.

“I have wanted to write you all a letter for a long time but I didn’t know what to say, and I still don’t know what to say. I just want you to know sincerely that I am sorry, and I know words may change how you feel but I want you to know that I’m aware of how serious this is and I am trying as I think I am doing the right thing.”

While Honore admitted to the killing, the three girls with him were charged with attempted manslaughter. 6
While Honore admitted to the killing, the three girls with him were charged with attempted manslaughter. WGNO-TV
The three teen girls plead guilty and were sentenced to 20 years in prison during their trial in November. 6
The three teen girls plead guilty and were sentenced to 20 years in prison during their trial in November. WGNO-TV

Honore could have a chance at parole in 25 years because he was 17 years old, a minor, when he killed Frickey.

He was not eligible for the death penalty since the US Supreme Court banned the execution of minors in 2005.

Frickey’s sister celebrated with her family after Honore’s sentencing, saying she was thankful justice won.

“We got justice, We felt we did justice for Linda,” Griffin added

During a statement from the witness stand, Frickey’s sister-in-law acknowledged there could be a chance Honore would be set free in 25 years, but hoped he wouldn’t make it out of prison.

“When you take your last breath, may the only thing you hear be the hellhounds coming for you, to drag your ass back down to where you belong,” Kathy Richard said, according to the outlet.

“Personally, I hope you don’t make it out of there [prison], and that those hellhounds come after you quick.”

Honore’s sentencing was the last of four involved in Frickey’s death after the three girls who were with him during the carjacking took a plea deal in November.

In March 2022, Frickey was putting something into her car outside a business in New Orleans' Mid-City neighborhood when she was carjacked by four teens. 6
In March 2022, Frickey was putting something into her car outside a business in New Orleans’ Mid-City neighborhood when she was carjacked by four teens. WWLTV
Honore jumped into the front seat of the car and drove off. dragging Frickey almost a block down the road before her arm was severed and clothes ripped off her body. 6
Honore jumped into the front seat of the car and drove off. dragging Frickey almost a block down the road before her arm was severed and clothes ripped off her body. WWLTV
Briniyah Baker, 17, Lenyra Theophile, 16, and Mar’qel Curtis all pleaded guilty to the attempted manslaughter charge they faced in connection to Frickey’s death.

They were all handed 20-year prison sentences and will serve at least 15 behind bars.

snipped
Honore, the driver of the stolen vehicle, was previously arrested for a carjacking when he was 15 years old. But the charges were dropped in 2021 by Orleans Parish District Attorney Jason Williams because the victim was a family member and didn’t want to press charges.

In an Instagram post, the mother of one of the female suspects defended her daughter and stated she would stand by her.

“Y’all sit on this Internet and say y’all hope this and that happen to my child. I never tried to justify [what] she did and I’m very sorry this lady lost her life but that’s my child and I’m standing beside her every step of the way,” she wrote. “Never was I a bad parent. I got a son [with] a 4.0 [gpa] graduating at the top of his class. So my parenting ain’t f***ing bad, My child just got caught up in a lifestyle that now she have to deal [with] the consequences the rest of her life.”

Last edited:
Back