13-Year-Old Boy Shot, Killed On Way To E.W. Rhodes Middle School In North Philadelphia, Officials Say

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

13-Year-Old Boy Shot, Killed On Way To E.W. Rhodes Middle School In North Philadelphia, Officials Say​

By CBS3 StaffOctober 8, 2021 at 5:09 pm

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — It was a tragic end to the week for a North Philadelphia school community. Police rushed to 29th and Clearfield Streets in Philadelphia’s Strawberry Mansion section after gunfire killed a 13-year-old boy on his way to E.W. Rhodes Middle School.
The 13-year-old male student was pronounced dead on the scene just after 9 a.m.
“I guess he was coming down this way or walking this area and they’re saying, the people in the car was doing the shooting,” resident Jeanie Phillips said.
One boy tells CBS3 his 12- and 13-year-old friends saw the fatal shooting.
I was just in class doing work and the three kids saw it happen,” student Abel Angelmorles said.
The gunfire erupted about a half-mile from the middle school, prompting officials to put the school on lockdown. The lockdown was lifted Friday afternoon.
“They say Black lives matter, but we killing one another, so when do it matter? When you dead,” neighbor Albis Mapp said.

“It’s heartbreaking,” Monica Lewis, with the Philadelphia School District said. “I was in the school earlier and students are shaken and the staff is shaken. Parents are here and they want to know if their children are OK.”
Some parents picked up their kids early.
“School should be where kids are safe, they shouldn’t feel like their lives are in danger when they’re in school,” one parent said.
Another parent added that they shouldn’t have to worry about their kids, but “nowadays, I have to walk mine to and from every day.”
“My niece is here,” another parent added. “She’s crying in the back. She might have known who the person was.”
District officials are on their way to the scene to offer additional help and support.
An investigation is ongoing.

Back