Parole Hearing Set for Man, Sina Khankhanian, Who Murdered 13 Year Old Emily Shane on PCH, he aimed his car at her on purpose to run over her

Arheel's Uncle

Senior Reporter

emily-shane-sina-copy.jpg

City/News

Parole Hearing Set for Man Who Murdered 13 Year Old Emily Shane on PCH​

May 6, 2023May 6, 2023

On April 3rd, 2010, the Malibu community was devastated by the tragic death of 13 year old Emily Rose Shane who was struck and killed walking home along the right shoulder of PCH near Heathercliff Drive.
Sina Khankhanian, 26, was driving a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer erratically for several miles on PCH prompting numerous 911 calls detailing near misses due to his reckless driving before killing Shane at 5:11 p.m.
Khankhanian told deputies that he was under the influence of alcohol and prescription drugs, however, his blood-alcohol level was below the legal limit. Malibu/Lost Hills Station deputies arrested him on suspicion of murder.
Although Khankhanian admitted to intentionally aiming for the innocent 13 year old and expressed she “deserved to die”, his attorney use his autism diagnosis unsuccessfully to argue his client did not fully comprehend his actions that fateful day.
In May 2012, a jury of five convicted Khankhanian of murder. He was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison. Two years later, an appeals court upheld the conviction.
After more than 10 years in prison, in November, 2021, Khankhanian was denied parole. He is currently eligible for a new parole hearing which is scheduled for June 6th, 2023.
Emily’s father Michel sent out a letter yesterday to supporters today ask for their help to keep Khankhanian behind bars.

Shane-1536x1026-1-1024x684.jpg
Photo: Michel Shane, 21 Miles Malibu
“It pains me to write you all again. I am reaching out because you have previously supported us, and there is a real danger here. The man who murdered Emily is coming up for early parole again, a little over a year when he was sentenced to three years before he could apply.
We don’t understand our present justice system. He has served 12.5 years. He was sentenced to fifteen years to life. He was utterly remorseless, as those of you who attended the trials and the previous parole hearing can attest. Due to the current protocols of the DA Gascon, we have a poor chance of this man remaining where he belongs.

The Parole Board must consider all emails sent to present a case about why the man who killed our daughter should remain in jail. There is a strict protocol for submitting an email, so it will be considered:
  • Your statement must identify the inmate’s name: Sina Khankhanian
  • The inmate’s CDCR number must be provided: Inmate AL8228
  • The date of the hearing must be provided: Parole Hearing June 6, 2023
  • Your email must be sent and received by MAY 16 to be considered!
We are asking you to please send an email to the following address: BPH.CorrespondenceUnit@cdcr.ca.gov
“Please note: The parole board will want to know very specifically WHY this person should not be released.
They consider the gravity of the offense and whether the inmate would impact public safety.
Our family will have representation and can make statements to the parole board commission on JUNE 6TH. I will highlight that this man could not control his anger/rage and drove for 17 miles so recklessly that there were numerous calls to 911, including one where the caller said, “This is going to end badly.” More so, he was utterly remorseless, never once expressed sorrow to our family or regret, and said, “I don’t give a f_ _ _” when told he killed Emily, a young, sweet, and innocent child. He did not care at all about our loss and all who were impacted; his conversations from prison reflected how anxious
he was to be cleared due to his family hiring an expensive criminal defense attorney and his plans once released. He never once expressed anything about Emily, what he had done, etc. Further, the inmate could not speak without reading his answers at the previous parole hearing. I have no doubt they will release this man, and he will kill again.
Our speech to the board will explain why someone like this should not have early release. What happens if he’s angry or upset again? What will he do this time? Kill more people? Will he be driving the streets? Would you want this person as your neighbor living in your community? A remorseless murderer? The court’s sentencing should be respected and implemented. There are no rational grounds to set this man free.
Please feel free to share your reasons why Emily’s murderer should not yet receive his freedom and continue to serve at least the minimum sentence of 15 years, and ideally longer. His sentence is 15 years – it could be as much as life. This is way too soon.
Please cc me on your emails if you feel comfortable doing so.
Please don’t hesitate to ask me any questions, and please forward/share this email with anyone you think would want to submit an email to the parole board.
Thank you for being so supportive,
All the best
Ellen & Michel”

Back