Convict in brutal 1975 killings may seek parole

-88-

Registered
They were angry, their rampage fueled by black militancy of the times and drugs, according to authorities and trial testimony.

Convict in brutal 1975 killings may seek parole

Karen Grammer begged for her life, promised to do anything. They raped her and cut her throat anyway, just because she?d seen them at the restaurant they planned to rob.

They shot one man in the head for just the 50 cents in his pocket. They plunged a bayonet into another man?s chest, just to see what it was like.

It was a string of killings ? a total of five ? that shocked Colorado Springs in 1975. But three decades have dulled the memories of that summer when bodies, victims of seemingly random murders, kept turning up.

?There are very few people around who remem
ber those murders,? said Lou Smit, a detective who worked on the case. ?But the prosecutor and detective never forget.?

Smit and Robert Russel, El Paso County?s district attorney at the time, are now working to keep one of the killers, Freddie Glenn, behind bars.

Because of older sentencing laws and the overturning of the death penalty under which he was sentenced ? both Glenn and Michael Corbett were originally sentenced to the gas chamber ? Glenn became eligible for parole this month, after serving 10 years for each of the three murders for which he was convicted.

He waived his first parole hearing, originally set for Wednesday, but plans to ask the parole board for his freedom in January.

The two lawmen who put Glenn and Corbett away, now in their 70s and long-retired, vow to speak at every parole hearing and to do their best to never let the killers be freed.

?As long as they?re alive and there?s a chance of keeping them in jail, we?re going to be there,? Smit said.

Russel was district attorney in El Paso County for 20 years. Smit, a homicide detective here for three decades, worked hundreds of murders and investigated the killing of JonBenet Ramsey.

They say the 1975 mur-ders, which occurred over a two-month period, rival anything else they?ve seen, for the brutality, for the randomness, for the complete absence of humanity shown by the killers.

The killings began June 19 when Glenn, a civilian employee at Fort Carson, Corbett, a soldier, and another soldier grabbed Daniel Van Lone, a 29-year-old cook just getting off work from the Four Seasons hotel, to rob him. They drove him to a remote area and made him lie on the ground.

?He pleaded with them, ?Please don?t kill me. Please don?t kill me,? ? Smit said. Corbett shot him in the head. They got 50 cents from him.

Eight days later, the pair met Winfred Profitt, 19, another Fort Carson soldier, at Prospect Lake, ostensibly to sell him some marijuana. Corbett, who had been training
with bayonets, stabbed Profitt with one to see what it was like.

On July 1, Glenn and Corbett and two other men decided to rob the Red Lobster restaurant on South Academy Boulevard. They left without any money, but on the way out they grabbed Grammer ? an 18-yearold who worked there and was waiting for her boyfriend to get off work ? because they feared she could identify them.

The grisly details of the next few hours haunt Smit and Russel, and they can shut their eyes and see the face of the young, free-spirited girl who had been living here for less than a year.

After robbing a convenience store, the men took Grammer to Glenn?s and Corbett?s apartment, where they raped her repeatedly. She pleaded for her life, offering to do anything they wanted so she could live.

They promised to take her home, then sat her in the car, put a cloth over her head and let her out in a mobile home park on South Wahsatch Avenue.

Then Glenn, who, according to court testimony, had taken LSD
, stabbed her in the throat, back and hand. She ran toward a door.

?She was running down that alley, spraying blood all over the place,? Smit said. ?She almost reached that doorbell when she collapsed.?

Police photographs show a bloody hand print on the wall, inches from the doorbell she never reached.

Police didn?t know her name for a week, until her brother, a young actor named Kelsey Grammer ? who would go on to star in the sitcom ?Frasier? ? arrived to identify the body.

People in Colorado Springs were anxious. During a news conference after Grammer?s murder, Police Chief Oren Boling assured reporters, ?We don?t believe we have a maniacal killer on the loose.?

There were two other murders that authorities say Glenn wasn?t involved in. On July 25, Corbett shot a friend, Winslow Douglas Watson, in the face because he?d stolen a loaf of bread from a neighbor. On Aug. 30, Rickey Lewis was shot in the back while playing dice with a group of people. Though police suspecte
d Corbett, he was never charged.

Glenn was convicted in 1976 for the murders of Van Lone, Profitt and Grammer.

Corbett was convicted in the murders of Van Lone and Watson and received death sentences for the murder of Profitt.

Judge Hunter Hardeman, noting ?there was no rhyme or reason for what happened,? sentenced Glenn to the gas chamber for Grammer?s murder.

Two years later, the Colorado Supreme Court overturned the state?s death penalty. When Glenn was sentenced, the law allowed parole after a convict served 10 years, so he just became eligible.

Because two of his sentences were to be served at the same time, Corbett became eligible in 1996. The parole board has turned him down every year. He is up for parole again in December.

For Kathy DeMarco, the fact the two even get a shot at freedom is a travesty.

She came to Colorado Springs with Profitt, the childhood sweetheart she married. He was stationed at Fort Carson. She almost went with him to Prospe
ct Lake on June 27 to buy some marijuana from another soldier.

Though she has since remarried, she often thinks about the husband Glenn and Corbett took away from her. She wants them to stay in prison.

?It?s not going to bring anybody back. It?s not going to bring my first husband back,? she said.

But, she said, ?They didn?t care about what they did, and they need to stay put.

?They should stay there until they die.?

Glenn, now 49 and serving his sentence at the Bent County Correctional Facility, waived his first parole hearing so he could enroll in several programs at the prison that would help his chances, said his case manager, Matt Sylvia.

Other then a 1985 contraband conviction, Glenn has had few disciplinary problems while in prison.

?He?s a very quiet inmate. You hardly notice he?s around,? Sylvia said. ?He likes to just watch his TV and that?s it.?

Neither Sylvia nor a Department of Corrections spokeswoman would provide details about the
contraband conviction.

Corbett, who has taken the name Hasani Chinangwa after converting to Islam in prison, has become a model inmate, but Smit and Russel still travel to his parole hearings, urging the board to keep him locked up.

Corbett is a sociopath who knew what he was doing, but didn?t care, Russel said. Glenn idolized Corbett.

They were angry, their rampage fueled by black militancy of the times and drugs, according to authorities and trial testimony. Despite the decades that have passed, the original investigators doubt either can be considered rehabilitated.

?We want justice for all of those victims,? Smit said. ?We don?t want to take a chance of anything like this happening again.?

Murder of Kelsey Grammer's sister Karen by black soldiers

8-1-Karen-Grammer.jpg

Karen Grammer, 18,
the sister of actor
Kelsey Grammer

4-2-Michael-Corbett.jpg

Michael Corbett

5-2-Larry-Dunn.jpg

Larry Dunn

Grammer To Attend Sister's Murderer Parole Hearing
Jul 26, 2009 3:50 pm US/Mountain

freddieglenn1.jpg
karengrammer.jpg

Freddie Glenn --------------------------------------- Karen Grammer

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (CBS4/AP) ― "Cheers" and "Frasier" star Kelsey Grammer is expected to attend the parole hearing for a man convicted of killing Grammer's sister in 1975.

Eighteen-year-old Karen Grammer was abducted on July 1, 1975, outside a Red Lobster restaurant in Colorado Springs after two men tried to rob it. She had been raped and stabbed in the throat, back and hand.

Freddie Glenn, 52
, who is serving a life
sentence in Karen Grammer's slaying, became eligible for parole in 2006.

A Department of Corrections spokeswoman said Grammer plans to attend Monday's hearing at the Limon Correctional Facility.

Those who know Kelsey Grammer say only recently has he come to terms with his sister's murder, which he has admitted changed his life.

Former prosecutor Charlie Heim still has strong feelings about the 1975 murder. Heim says Glenn feared Karen Grammer could identify them. He says she was taken to Glenn's apartment.

"After they had sex with her, forcible sex, they put a blindfold or something over her head where she said she couldn't see where she was, they drove part-way down an alley, she said, 'Please don't kill me,' and they said, 'We're not, once you get out of the car, we're going to take the blindfold off and go,' and Freddie Glenn came up behind her, took the blindfold off and slit her throat," Heim said.

Police didn't know her name for a week until Kelsey Gramme
r reported his sister missing.

"He had to come out and identify her, which I'm sure would shake anybody up," Heim said.

Grammer, who was only 20 at the time, has said his sister's violent death was the catalyst that sent him into years of drug and alcohol addictions.

Glenn had his death sentence overturned years ago. Heim says he would be stunned if the man who threw Karen Grammer into the street to bleed to death did get parole, but said with today's overcrowded prisons, anything is possible.

"In this day and age you never know what's going to happen," Heim said. "You would hope that the parole board would definitely say 'no.'"

Colorado law no longer allows parole for those sentenced to life in prison for first-degree murder.

Heim says he is also planning to attend the parole hearing on Monday to back Kelsey Grammer up.

Grammer has had other tragedies. His father was shot dead in 1980 and he had 2 half-brothers die in a scuba diving
accident.

http://cbs4denver.com/local/Actor.Kelsey.Grammer.2.1101252.html

Killer of Kelsey Grammer's sister denied parole
By P. SOLOMON BANDA, Associated Press Writer P. Solomon Banda, Associated Press Writer – Mon Jul 27, 7:12 pm ET

DENVER – A man convicted of killing the sister of Kelsey Grammer and two other people more than three decades ago was denied parole Monday after the prison board heard a written statement from Grammer calling the man a butcher and a monster.

The Colorado Parole Board also heard from other relatives of the victims and from detectives before deciding not to release 52-year-old Freddie Glenn.

"This is a butcher. This is a monster," said the statement from the star of TV's "Frasier." "I can never accept the notion that he can pay for the nightmare with anything less than his life."

Grammer had planned to attend the h
earing at a state prison in Limon, about 90 miles southeast of Denver, but a rain delay at Kennedy International Airport in New York caused him to miss a connecting flight.

Glenn is serving a life sentence for the first-degree murder of Karen Grammer in 1975 when she was 18. She was abducted outside a Colorado Springs restaurant, raped and stabbed on July 1.

In addition to that slaying, Glenn was convicted of the June 19, 1975 slaying of 28-year-old motel cook Daniel Van Lone during a botched robbery, and the June 27, 1975, slaying of 19-year-old Army soldier Winfred Proffitt during a drug deal.

Glenn had been given the death penalty but that sentence was commuted in 1978 to life in prison with the possibility of parole. Colorado law no longer allows parole in life sentences for first-degree murder, but Glenn was convicted before that law was changed.

During the hearing, Glenn downplayed his role i
n the slayings and told the board, "I apologize for my participation in something so terrible. I am sincerely and truly remorseful," The Denver Post reported.

In his statement, Grammer said his sister had graduated from high school a year early and decided to take a year off after attending a semester of college. Grammer said she may have moved to Colorado Springs because of a boy she liked.

"She was so smart and good and decent. She wrote poetry ... We could laugh for hours together," Grammer wrote. "I was supposed to protect her — I could not. It very nearly destroyed me... When we heard this man might be paroled, the suffering began anew."

Glenn will be eligible for parole again in 2014.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090727/ap_en_tv/us_people_kelsey_grammer

If this nig ever gets out, I hope that there's a hit man lurking with all of the cops celebrating a birthday party somewhere.

If this guy didn't deserve the death penalty, then who does?

Instead, the state has to feed, clothe, house and now, provide end of life health care to an old greasy-ass murdering nigger. When the uncivilized is permitted to live in the civilized world, civilized means of removing them from that world ought not be abandoned.

Insane not to hang murderous raping niggers like this fine POS example. Kelsey Grammer has my sympathy for this TNB episode. Never to have closure. The nigger should be long ago dead!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2710982/Killer-Kelsey-Grammers-sister-denied-parole.html

article-2710982-2022286E00000578-118_306x423.jpg

Murderous raping negro, it's name is unimportant

article-2710982-2021E63800000578-915_306x423.jpg

Karen Grammer, raped and murdered by worthless nigger scum. They slit her throat and let her bleed out in a mobile home park.

article-2710982-2022622C00000578-368_306x423.jpg

Kelsey Grammer, actor and brother of murder victim

Kelsey Grammer forgives man who raped and killed his sister after felon made tearful apology - but says murderer should not be released as he testifies by video

The 59-year-old Frasier star testified against Freddie Glenn who kidnapped and murdered his sister, Karen Elisa Grammer, in 1975
Karen, 18, was kidnapped from her car by Glenn and an accomplice and raped for four hours before having her throat slit
Kelsey Grammer identified his sister's body a week later
He told Glenn on Tuesday: 'I accept that you live with remorse, but I live with tragedy every day. I accept your apology. I forgive you. However, I cannot give your release my endorsement'
Glenn, 57, will next be eligible for parole in 2017

Kelsey Grammer forgave the man who raped and murdered his sister but said that he should not be released, during an emotional testimony at the killer's parole hearing on Tuesday.

The 59-year-old Frasier star testified against 57-year-old Freddie Glenn who kidnapped and murdered his 18-year-old sister, Karen Elisa Grammer, in 1975 when she was leaving her job at a Red Lobster in Colorado Springs.

'I accept that you live with remorse, but I live with tragedy every day,' the Cheers star said via satellite link at a Colorado parole hearing.

'I accept your apology. I forgive you. However, I cannot give your release my endorsement.'

Scroll down for audio of Kelsey Grammer's testimony
Kelsey Grammer, pictured in May, said on Tuesday that he forgave murderer and rapist Freddie Glenn (right) for killing his 18-year-old sister in 1975 but that he should not be granted parole
+4
Kelsey Grammer, pictured in May, said on Tuesday that he forgave murderer and rapist Freddie Glenn (right) for killing his 18-year-old sister in 1975 but that he should not be granted parole
+4

Kelsey Grammer, pictured in May, said on Tuesday that he forgave murderer and rapist Freddie Glenn (right) for killing his 18-year-old sister Karen in 1975 but that he should not be granted parole

The actor said that to bless the idea of Glenn’s parole 'would be a betrayal of my sister’s life'.

A prison spokeswoman said on Wednesday that Glenn's parole request has been denied. He will next be eligible for parole in 2017.

Glenn and accomplice Michael Corbett snatched Miss Grammer on July 1, 1975, while she was outside the Red Lobster restaurant, waiting for her boyfriend to finish work.

The thieves had tried and failed to rob the restaurant and reportedly thought that the 18-year-old, who was sitting in her car, could identify them.
A life cut short: Karen was a teenager when she was kidnapped, raped and murdered after leaving her job at a Red Lobster in Colorado in 1975
+4

A life cut short: Karen was a teenager when she was kidnapped, raped and murdered after leaving her job at a Red Lobster in Colorado in 1975

She was repeatedly raped over four hours at an apartment, according to KKTV.

She was then told she would be let go and released from a car at a mobile home park.

Glenn, who according to the trial had taken LSD, then slit the teenager's throat and left her on the ground.

She managed to make it to a nearby home for help but no one was home and she died on the back porch.:mad:

Her body was identified a week later by Kelsey Grammer.

Glenn was convicted of killing Miss Grammer and given the death penalty. The Supreme Court later overturned that decision and allowed him to seek parole after 30 years. He also was convicted of killing two men in separate slayings.

The Denver Post reported Glenn was tearful at times as he apologized during Tuesday's parole hearing.

The murderer was 18 years old when he murdered Miss Grammer. He told the court he believed that he deserved a second chance.

He added that he has a fiancée and a $200,000 trust fund that could help stabilize his life after being released from prison.

Glenn is locked up at Colorado’s Buena Vista Correctional Facility.

'I want to believe you have actually changed your life … things you say, I accept a lot of it,' Kelsey Grammar said on Tuesday.

He then asked: 'If someone did to your sister what you did to mine, what would you think should be done to him?'

Glenn answered: 'I would be hurt, and I would be angry. I would like to think one day I would forgive.'

The last time Mr Grammer blocked Glenn's parole was in 2009.

At that hearing, Chuck Heim, who investigated the murder described Miss Grammer's murder as 'vicious'.

According to KKTV, he said: 'She crawled up on a back porch, where there was a light, but the homeowners were out.

You could see bloody hand prints and finger prints where she tried to reach the doorbell for help and she died there.'
The Frasier star with wife Kayte in March at the Vanity Fair Oscar party; on Thursday they welcomed their son Kelsey Jr
+4

The Frasier star with wife Kayte in March at the Vanity Fair Oscar party; on Thursday they welcomed their son Kelsey Jr

Mr Grammer called the killer a 'butcher' and a 'monster' during that hearing.

'When we heard this man might be paroled, the suffering began anew,' he said.

'I was her big brother. I was supposed to protect her - I could not.

'Can you be certain he will not slaughter another innocent life and destroy another family?'

Last Thursday, the actor welcomed his sixth child, a son named Kelsey Gabriel Elias, with wife Kayte, a former flight attendant.

The couple already has a daughter Faith, aged two.

Grammer had two children with his ex-wife, star of Housewives of Beverly Hills, Camille, whom he was married to from 1997 to 2011.

Those children are 12-year-old Mason and Jude, aged nine.

The Cheers star also has a 30-year-old daughter Spencer (an actress who appeared on soap opera As The World Turns) and a 22-year-old Greer Grammer (who has starred on MTV's Awkward) from other relationships.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mmers-sister-denied-parole.html#ixzz38z3OWzvl
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Kelsey Grammer FORGIVES man who raped and killed his sister

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2710982/Killer-Kelsey-Grammers-sister-denied-parole.html

article-2710982-2022286E00000578-118_306x423.jpg

Freddie Glenn

The 59-year-old Frasier star testified against Freddie Glenn who kidnapped and murdered his sister, Karen Elisa Grammer, in 1975
  • Karen, 18, was kidnapped from her car by Glenn and an accomplice and raped for four hours before having her throat slit
  • Kelsey Grammer identified his sister's body a week later
  • He told Glenn on Tuesday: 'I accept that you live with remorse, but I live with tragedy every day. I accept your apology. I forgive you. However, I cannot give your release my endorsement'
  • Glenn, 57, will next be eligible for parole in 2017

Kelsey Grammer forgave the man who raped and murdered his sister but said that he should not be released, during an emotional testimony at the killer's parole hearing on Tuesday.

The 59-year-old Frasier star testified against 57-year-old Freddie Glenn who kidnapped and murdered his 18-year-old sister, Karen Elisa Grammer, in 1975 when she was leaving her job at a Red Lobster in Colorado Springs.

'I accept that you live with remorse, but I live with tragedy every day,' the Cheers star said via satellite link at a Colorado parole hearing.

'I accept your apology. I forgive you. However, I cannot give your release my endorsement.'

The actor said that to bless the idea of Glenn’s parole 'would be a betrayal of my sister’s life'.

A prison spokeswoman said on Wednesday that Glenn's parole request has been denied. He will next be eligible for parole in 2017.

Glenn and accomplice Michael Corbett snatched Miss Grammer on July 1, 1975, while she was outside the Red Lobster restaurant, waiting for her boyfriend to finish work.

The thieves had tried and failed to rob the restaurant and reportedly thought that the 18-year-old, who was sitting in her car, could identify them.

article-2710982-2021E63800000578-915_306x423.jpg

She was repeatedly raped over four hours at an apartment, according to KKTV.

She was then told she would be let go and released from a car at a mobile home park.

Glenn, who according to the trial had taken LSD, then slit the teenager's throat and left her on the ground.

She managed to make it to a nearby home for help but no one was home and she died on the back porch.

Her body was identified a week later by Kelsey Grammer.

Glenn was convicted of killing Miss Grammer and given the death penalty. The Supreme Court later overturned that decision and allowed him to seek parole after 30 years.

He also was convicted of killing another two men.

Glenn murdered motel cook Daniel Van Lone, 28, in a robbery from which he took 50 cents on June 19, 1975.

On June 27 that year, he killed 19-year-old Army soldier Winfred Proffitt over drugs.

The Denver Post reported Glenn was tearful at times as he apologized during Tuesday's parole hearing.

The murderer was 18 years old when he murdered Miss Grammer. He told the court he believed that he deserved a second chance.

He added that he has a fiancée and a $200,000 trust fund that could help stabilize his life after being released from prison.

Glenn is locked up at Colorado’s Buena Vista Correctional Facility.

'I want to believe you have actually changed your life … things you say, I accept a lot of it,' Kelsey Grammar said on Tuesday.

He then asked: 'If someone did to your sister what you did to mine, what would you think should be done to him?'

Glenn answered: 'I would be hurt, and I would be angry. I would like to think one day I would forgive.'

The last time Mr Grammer blocked Glenn's parole was in 2009. At that hearing, Chuck Heim, who investigated the murder described Miss Grammer's murder as 'vicious'.

According to KKTV, he said: 'She crawled up on a back porch, where there was a light, but the homeowners were out.

You could see bloody hand prints and finger prints where she tried to reach the doorbell for help and she died there.'

Mr Grammer, who was delayed from attending the 2009 parole hearing due to bad weather, sent an emotional letter to the jury about the effect that his sister's brutal death had on him.

He wrote: 'She was my best friend and the best person I knew. She had so much to live for. I loved my sister, Karen. I miss her. I miss her in my bones.

'I was her big brother. I was supposed to protect her - I could not. I have never gotten over it...It very nearly destroyed me.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mmers-sister-denied-parole.html#ixzz3A6xgbDIW
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Man involved in 3 grisly 1975 murders dies in custody, is now SUFFERING with eternal torment by torture in HELL.

Michael Corbett was found guilty of 3 murders in 1975 -- including the rape and killing of actor Kelsey Grammer's sister.

12f24d7d-fcb0-4a23-86fb-97c85e32dbc8_750x422.jpg

Credit: Courtesy Colorado Department of Corrections

Author: Allison Sylte

Published: 7:07 PM MDT June 25, 2019

Updated: 10:30 AM MDT June 26, 2019

Facebook Twitter

DENVER — One of the men involved in a summer of 1975 Colorado Springs crime spree that led to the deaths of at least three people has died, according to a news release from the Fourth Judicial District Attorney’s Office.

Michael Corbett died Monday night of what’s believed to be natural causes at a Denver-area hospital, the release says.

Corbett’s first murder happened on June 19, 1975, while he was a soldier. According to the release, he, Freddie Glenn, and another codefendant robbed Daniel Van Lone.

Van Lone, who was 29, had just gotten off the clock at his job at the Four Seasons Hotel when he was abducted and taken to a remote area. Police at the time said Van Lone begged for his life but to no avail. He was fatally shot in the head and robbed – netting his abductors just 50 cents, according to prosecutors.

The next murder happened on June 27, 1975, when prosecutors said Corbett met with another soldier named Winfred Proffitt. The release says Corbett stabbed him in the chest with a knife, and later told investigators his only reason for stabbing Proffitt to death was to see what it feels like to stab someone with a knife.

On July 1, 1975, prosecutors said Corbett and one of his co-defendants went to a Red Lobster restaurant with the intention of robbing it. When they thought someone was onto their plan, the release says they started to leave the building – and kidnapped 19-year-old Karen Grammer on their way out.

Karen Grammer is actor Kelsey Grammer’s sister, and worked at the restaurant. She was waiting for her boyfriend to pick her up.

Prosecutors said the young woman was repeatedly sexually assaulted and then taken to a mobile home park, where Glenn stabbed her several times and threw her into a car to die.

“The only apparent motive for the murder of Karen Grammer was their belief that she might have been able to say they had attempted to rob the restaurant,” the release says.

Glenn is still alive and in the custody of the Colorado Department of Corrections. His next parole hearing is slated for May 2021.

c2ca5d3e-69db-4327-ba7d-b74e291e01b0_1140x641.jpg

Credit: Courtesy CDOC

Freddie Glenn.

Corbett and Glenn were originally sentenced to death for the murders, according to prosecutors, but they were resentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole after 10 years when the U.S. Supreme Court overturned all existing death sentences in 1979.

They have been eligible for parole every five years since then, and more recently, every three years. According to the CDOC's website, Corbett had another parole hearing slated for 2020.

Back