BLACK on WHITE: Christa Worthington case: Once again, the media twists facts in this case, a movie which replaced the BLACK killer with a White man.

Arheel's Uncle

Senior Reporter
Once again, the media twists facts in this case, a movie which replaced the BLACK killer with a White man.

• Black garbage collector arrested in 2002 Cape Cod RAPE-murder of White woman - April 15, 2005

ChristopherMcCowen.jpg

ChristaWorthington.jpg

A 33-year-old garbage collector has been arrested in the stabbing death of a single mother three years ago on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. The Barnstable County district attorney's office confirmed the arrest of Christopher McCowen in connection with the death of Christa Worthington but gave no details about pending charges. Worthington, 46, a former fashion writer for publications such as Women's Wear Daily and Elle magazine, was found stabbed to death in January 2002 in her Truro, Massachusetts, home, with her 2-year-old daughter clinging to her body.The child was unharmed. - (Black-on-white)
  • "DNA" links garbage collector to rape-slay
    arraigned on Friday in Orleans District Court on charges of first degree murder, aggravated rape and armed assault. Worthington was found clothed only from the waist up, and there was evidence she had sex before she was killed - investigators believe she was raped.
THE MOVIE:
Murder On The Cape - Based on the Christa Worthington case.

An out of work fisherman has an affair with a fashion writer wintering on the Cape. She returns two years later with his child, and when she is murdered, the fisherman is the prime suspect. 2017. Stars: Jade Harlow, Josh Walther, Heather Egeli
1,436,042 views Apr 13, 2020

Man convicted of murdering Christa Worthington speaks out: 'I'm not guilty of anything'​

Chris McCowen shared his side of the story in a "20/20" interview.
ByGAIL DEUTSCH and LAUREN EFFRON

November 24, 2017, 6:28 AM

chris-mccowen-trial-reaction-02-ap-jef-171121_16x9_608.jpg

1:26
Christopher McCowen wipes away tears as he is sentenced after being convicted of rape and murder...
AP

An encore presentation of this "20/20" report will air on Friday, Dec. 28, 2018, at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.

Chris McCowen, the man who was convicted of raping and murdering Christa Worthington, is speaking out about being at the center of what was then the biggest case to hit the Cape in decades.

“There's a lot of speculation on the exact timeline of when she was killed,” McCowen told ABC News “20/20.” “I’m not guilty of anything ... this is a nightmare for me.”

Worthington, a 46-year-old fashion writer and single mother, was found stabbed to death in her seaside cottage in Truro, Massachusetts, on Jan. 6, 2002, with her 2-and-a-half-year-old daughter, Ava, by her side, unharmed. The case earned national attention after authorities made a controversial move to ask every man in the community to voluntarily submit a DNA sample prior to making an arrest.

VIDEO: Friends, colleagues remember Christa Worthington, a fashion writer murdered in 2002

0:00
Friends, colleagues remember Christa Worthington, a fashion writer murdered in 2002
Worthington worked for Women's Wear Daily, The New York Times and Elle magazine, among other i...
McCowen, who worked as a garbage man on the Cape and had Worthington’s home on his trash route, didn’t testify at his 2006 trial, but was convicted of first-degree murder, aggravated rape and aggravated burglary in connection with Worthington’s death.

He was given three consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole, but has long maintained his innocence.

Since his conviction, McCowen has had one appeal and three motions for a new trial denied. Now, armed with a new defense attorney, McCowen is hoping to get new evidence that could warrant a new trial and overturn his conviction.

“At this point, Chris wants to get his story out there,” his current attorney, Gary Pelletier told “20/20.” “Chris wants to explain. Chris regrets not testifying.”

Friends, colleagues remember Christa Worthington, a fashion writer murdered in 2002​

Christa Worthington's former lover on learning she was pregnant with his child​

FULL COVERAGE​

PHOTO: Christopher McCowen, right, is led out of court, Nov. 15, 2006, in Barnstable, Mass., after the jury failed to arrive at a verdict in his murder trial.

Christopher McCowen, right, is led out of court, Nov. 15, 2006, in Barnstable, Mass., after the jury failed to arrive at a verdict in his murder trial.
AP

McCowen told “20/20” he knew Worthington from his trash route, and that her trash pick-up day was on Thursdays – a detail that was confirmed by the owner of the trash collection company McCowen worked for at the time.

“Being a garbage man, you know, I get to go by everybody’s houses and, you know, get to talk to them briefly,” McCowen said.Worthington was found dead on a Sunday, but that previous Thursday, McCowen said he was coming by her house for trash pick-up and she asked him about getting rid of her Christmas tree.

“She asked me to come in the house and to look at her Christmas tree,” he said.

After she invited him in, McCowen said then “one thing led to another.”

“It just like it was just a mutual thing between two people, I guess,” he said. “We started kissing. Then we ... ended up having, having sex.”

McCowen said he had sex with Worthington just that one time. Her body was found three days later, but he insists he didn’t kill her. The prosecution maintains to this day that the evidence against McCowen, and him alone, was "overwhelming."

During trial, prosecutors presented forensic evidence that showed a match between McCowen’s DNA and DNA found on Worthington’s body, as well as statements McCowen made during a six-hour interview with two investigators after his arrest, who said McCowen kept changing his story from saying that he never knew Worthington, to saying he went over to her house and had sex with her, to saying he and a friend beat her up after a night of heavy drinking.

PHOTO: Christopher McCowen reacts to the jury's verdict at the Barnstable Superior Court in Barnstable, Mass., Nov. 16, 2006.

Christopher McCowen reacts to the jury's verdict at the Barnstable Superior Court in Barnstable, Mass., Nov. 16, 2006.
AP

At trial, McCowen’s former attorney Bob George argued that McCowen was poorly educated with low intelligence, so he wasn’t able to understand what was happening after his arrest and was only telling police what he thought they wanted to hear, that McCowen wasn't sober at the time of the six-hour police interview and that the interview was not recorded, only summarized by an investigator in a 27-page report, so it was impossible to know exactly what was said.

McCowen told "20/20" that he didn’t remember talking with police nor what he told them during the six-hour interview because he was under the influence of Percocet, cocaine and marijuana at the time.

“They [police] kept on switching everything up,” McCowen said. “I was so intoxicated off of all of them drugs that I really didn't know what the hell was going on.”

During his statements to police after his arrest, McCowen had said he and his friend Jeremy Frazier had gone over to Worthington’s house after a night of drinking. At one point, McCowen claimed Frazier had killed her.

McCowen said he didn’t remember ever going over to Worthington’s house with Frazier. When asked why he named Frazier as her killer, McCowen told “20/20,” “That’s what they [police] said that I did. I didn’t do that.”

Frazier testified for the prosecution at McCowen’s trial that he was at an underage club called The Juice Bar with his friend Shawn Mulvey and McCowen for a rap contest on Jan. 4, 2002, the Friday before Worthington's body was found.

VIDEO: Jan. 4, 2002: Jeremy Frazier participates in a rap contest at The Juice Bar

0:17

Jan. 4, 2002: Jeremy Frazier participates in a rap contest at The Juice Bar
Fraizer is seen in this video clip during a rap contest held at a Cape Cod bar, with Christopher McCo...
Just like in his interview with police, Frazier said they left the bar and went to a party, where a fight broke out and everyone was kicked out. Frazier said he and Mulvey then went to Mulvey's father’s house and were there the rest of the night. Frazier said he didn't know what happened to McCowen.

McCowen told “20/20” that after leaving The Juice Bar, he went to the party but then “went straight home” afterwards.

Frazier denied having any involvement with Worthington’s death and denied going to her house with McCowen on the night in question. Police believed Frazier, and also believed that McCowen went over to Worthington's house by himself.

Today, having spent the past 11 years behind bars, McCowen said he was optimistic that his current attorney will be successful in getting him a new trial.

“I don’t deserve to be in [prison],” he said.

This article is part of an investigative series by "20/20" and ABC Radio looking into the murder of Christa Worthington and the trial and conviction of Christopher McCowen.
Watch the two-hour "20/20" documentary, "A Killing on the Cape," HERE and the six-part podcast can be heard on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Play Music, TuneIn, Stitcher and under the "Listen" tab on the ABC News app.

https://www.capecodtimes.com › in-depth › news › local › 2022 › 01 › 05 › christa-worthington-murder-20-years-later-christopher-mccowen-trial › 8999323002

Christa Worthington murder 20 years later: Christopher McCowen trial

Jan 6, 2022
Christopher McCowen, 33, is scheduled to appear in Barnstable Superior Court next Wednesday on charges of murder, aggravated rape and armed burglary. Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael...

This content is only available to subscribers.

Christopher McCowen

Married a white woman https://www.facebook.com/ABC2020/vi...isit-her-husband-in-prison/10155455727889934/

'A Killing on the Cape': The Murder of Christa Worthington -- Episode 6​

Armed with a new defense attorney, Chris McCowen hopes for a new trial.
ByMARK REMILLARD and LAUREN EFFRON
November 28, 2017, 10:03 PM

171122_2020_cape_christarev_16x9_608.jpg

7:49

Accomplished fashion writer found stabbed to death at her home: Part 1
Christa Worthington, who worked for major magazines and publications like the New York Times and...

— -- An encore presentation of this "20/20" report will air on Friday, Dec. 28, 2018, at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.

This is Episode 6 of "A Killing on the Cape," a six-episode ABC Radio podcast and an ABC News "20/20" documentary. Watch the two-hour "20/20" documentary HERE.

For Episodes 1-5, please visit http://abcnews.com/akillingonthecape.

Subscribe and listen to the podcast on our partners and platforms: Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Play Music, TuneIn, Stitcher and under the "Listen" tab on the ABC News app.

Episode 6: The Interview –

It’s been more than 10 years since Christopher McCowen was convicted of raping and murdering Christa Worthington in a case that rocked the Cape Cod area.

In that time, McCowen has been in three different prisons. His is currently being held at a medium security prison called Old Colony, located about a 50-minute drive south of Boston.

Every week, his wife Leslie McCowen makes the hour-long drive from her home in West Dennis to see Chris.

“He’s a very sweet guy, very quiet, very polite,” Leslie McCowen said of her husband. “We talk about our families… we talk a lot about my job and stuff. We play cards, play scrabble, eat, take pictures.”

Leslie McCowen said she first met Chris in the late ‘90s and didn’t know him very well before his arrest and conviction, but that afterward she became close with him.

“Chris used to hang out with my daughters and their crew,” she said. “He was at my house a few times, always very quiet, very polite, not like the rest of them.”

Leslie McCowen said she was taking classes at a community college when she heard on the radio that Chris McCowen had been arrested for the murder of Christa Worthington.

“I couldn’t believe it,” Leslie McCowen said. “I said to myself, ‘Aw, he’ll be out of there in no time. There’s no way in hell he killed anybody.’ … and I told my professor about it and I said, ‘There’s no way he killed anyone.’”

Worthington, a 46-year-old fashion writer and single mother, was found stabbed to death in her seaside cottage in Truro, Massachusetts, on Jan. 6, 2002, with her 2-and-a-half-year-old daughter, Ava, by her side, unharmed.

PHOTO: Fashion writer Christa Worthington at Ballston Beach in Truro, Mass., in August 2001.

Fashion writer Christa Worthington at Ballston Beach in Truro, Mass., in August 2001.
Cape Cod Times/ZUMA Press/Newscom
McCowen worked as a garbage man on the Cape and had Worthington’s home on his trash route. At the time, Worthington’s murder was the highest profile case to hit the Cape in decades.

On Nov. 16, 2006, a jury found Chris McCowen guilty of first-degree murder, rape and aggravated burglary. He was given three life sentences, one for each of the charges he was convicted on, without the possibility of parole.

PHOTO: Christopher McCowen wipes away tears as he is sentenced after being convicted  of rape and murder in the slaying of a fashion writer Christa Worthington, Nov. 16, 2006, in Barnstable, Mass.

Christopher McCowen wipes away tears as he is sentenced after being convicted of rape and murder in the slaying of a fashion writer Christa Worthington, Nov. 16, 2006, in Barnstable, Mass.
AP

Leslie McCowen said she and Chris McCowen developed a relationship first through sharing letters, which then turned to phone calls, which turned into visits. Then the two married on May 1, 2014.

“The ceremony was kind of-- was very sweet. We had a female minister, and she said the vows,” Leslie McCowen said.

She calls their marriage “different,” and says she feels bad for what he has to go through in prison every day.

“He’s in there, and he shouldn’t be,” she said. “When you love someone, you love someone, and you take them as they are and they take you as you are.”

Leslie McCowen said the process of getting into the prison to see her husband is no easy task.

“The worst part is the waiting. Once you get there, you know, you pick a number, sit and wait, wait, wait, wait,” she said. “But if you get there light, right when the visits are starting, you can pretty much go right through.”

Leslie McCowen said she even started buying certain types of clothes that would make the process go faster.

“No hoods, no strings, no zipper,” she said. “I had to leave once because I had winter boots on, and it already turned into spring. One time I had to leave because I had a zipper. But now they tell you there’s a Walmart up there road. You can go buy proper clothes.”

Leslie McCowen
is just one of a number of people who think that her husband was wrongfully convicted. She not only believes Chris McCowen didn’t get a fair trial, but that he’s innocent and will one day get out of prison.

“I can’t say I have a whole lot of faith in the system or even, sometimes the people here. I just know he did not kill Christa Worthington. That’s all I know,” Leslie McCowen said. “Sometimes the magnitude of what they’ve done to him really hit me when I see this prison. It’s really a travesty of justice, and he needs his life back. I hope they find the real killer or killers.”

Leslie McCowen is seen here driving to the Old Colony prison to see her husband, Christopher McCowen.

Leslie McCowen is seen here driving to the Old Colony prison to see her husband, Christopher McCowen.
ABC News
Chris McCowen’s first appeal was denied in 2010. In that appeal, his then attorneys argued that his conviction should be overturned for several reasons, including that it was a mistake for the judge not to grant his defense’s request to move the trial's location after all the media attention, that a member of the grand jury, which indicted Chris McCowen, knew Christa Worthington, her daughter and Tony Jackett, and that it was improper for one of the jurors to be removed during deliberations.

The juror removed was Rachel Huffman, then 22.

“The removal of Rachel Huffman from the jury was disturbing,” said Chris McCowen’s former defense attorney Bob George. “Rachel Huffman, at the time, was seen as a pro-defense juror. It was also revealed at the time that Rachel Huffman was involved with an African American boyfriend, which came out in jury deliberations.”

The first weekend after deliberations began in mid-November 2006, Huffman’s boyfriend had been arrested in a drug-related shooting. Several jurors testified during a closed session that they had learned of the shooting on the news or by word of mouth from other jurors.

Without admonishing some of the jurors for exposing themselves to news coverage, Barnstable Superior Court Judge Gary Nickerson, who presided over the trial, decided they remained impartial and should continue deliberations.

But the next day, everything changed.

“The record in this case would show that Rachel Huffman was thrown off the jury because she had phone contact with her boyfriend,” George said.

On Nov. 14, 2006, the seventh day of deliberation, Huffman was told that the court heard an audio tape of phone calls she had with her boyfriend in which she had discussed the case and had made disparaging comments about police.

“They had a conversation that was recorded, and they threw her off the jury because she said a few things about the case,” said Beth Karas, an attorney and former Court TV correspondent who covered Chris McCowen’s trial. “They found that she couldn’t be trusted, I guess, couldn’t be fair anymore and she was bounced.”

“At the time, the jury had indicated that they were deadlocked after a few days,” Karas continued. “We didn’t know the breakdown, and it was assumed that Rachel Huffman was somebody holding out for acquittal. As it turned out, she was on the fence. She wasn’t sure if McCowen was guilty. there were two others holding out for acquittal, not Rachel Huffman.”

Huffman was one of three jurors who signed affidavits following McCowen’s trial alleging incidents of racial bias and bias against McCowen during deliberations.

7:28
What 2 jurors say happened during Chris McCowen trial deliberations: Part 9
After Chris McCowen was found guilty on all charges, his former defense attorney said some jurors a...
The appeal made its way up to Massachusetts’ highest court, which handed down its ruling in December 2010, more than three years after McCowen's guilty verdict. Read the ruling HERE.

McCowen never testified at his trial, but at his sentencing, the court heard from him for the first time when he read a statement. McCowen said in his statement that he felt sorry for the Worthington family, for what had happened to Worthington and her daughter, "but all this time I've been innocent."

Having McCowen testify is something his former attorney Bob George said both he and McCowen agreed was too risky at the time.

“Christopher McCowen wouldn’t have been capable of facing cross examination because of his mental condition, because of his emotional condition,”
George said. “There was no set of circumstances under which he could face a lengthy cross examination in which he would become confused and it would hurt his case.”

Since his conviction, McCowen has had one appeal and three motions for a new trial denied. Now, armed with a new defense attorney, McCowen is hoping to get new evidence that could warrant a new trial and overturn his conviction.

“At this point, Chris wants to get his story out there. Chris wants to explain… [he] regrets not testifying,” said his current attorney Gary Pelletier.

The Massachusetts Department of Corrections denied ABC News’ requests to interview McCowen in person. After several months, ABC News was able to talk to him by phone in August.

“There's a lot of speculation on the exact timeline of when she was killed, but I do understand where a lot of people think that I might have had something to do with it, but I didn’t have nothing to do with it,” McCowen told ABC News. “I’m not guilty of anything.”

“This is a nightmare for me,” he continued. “This is just one of the nightmares I’m trying to wake up from because I’m sorry that Christa is dead and everything, and I feel bad about that, but you know, it’s just—I was taken away from my kids. I was taken away from my family and everything too.”

“I can’t say I have a whole lot of faith in the system or even, sometimes the people here. I just know he did not kill Christa Worthington. That’s all I know,” Leslie McCowen said. “Sometimes the magnitude of what they’ve done to him really hit me when I see this prison. It’s really a travesty of justice, and he needs his life back.

I hope they find the real killer or killers.”

There it is, the reason for the movie is propaganda towards creating doubt in the public's eyes of McCowen's guilt, it left the ending open when the fisherman boyfriend says, I'm going to keep looking for the real killer. Sheriff said, just go home before you become a suspect.
No one was arrested or convicted in the movie.
The movie's release date coincides with the date of the previous article.

Murder On The Cape

Murder on the Cape (2017) - Plot - IMDb

Murder on the Cape Edit Summaries Based on the Christa Worthington case. An out of work fisherman has an affair with a fashion writer wintering on the Cape. She returns two years later with his child, and when she is murdered, the fisherman is the prime suspect. A fashion writer falls in love with a married fisherman in Provincetown, Massachusetts.

AMAZON REVIEW Horrible movie, horrible acting
Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on August 10, 2022
The movie didn’t even follow the true story about the Cape Cod murder. It didn’t show the true murderer so I’m very confused.
AMAZON REVIEW I will say the cinematography was very good. But the dialog was so forced
Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on October 28, 2017
This is a complete fabrication of what actually happened to Christa (Elizabeth) and it disgusts me. They made Christa (Elizabeth) out to be a stalker. I'm sick over this! I will say the cinematography was very good. But the dialog was so forced. Read the news reports instead.

The movie's release date coincides with the date of the previous article.
Free to watch on Amazon with Prime.

Seen this media meddling before. This is a Wag the Dog, a campaign to free McCowen. I'm not sure how well it turned out, I do know that court judges are educated on media meddling efforts to transform a case. I wonder when Kim Kardashian will enter? Maybe that she-freak already did?

They did that campaign with the black fighter, Hurricane Carter who was the shooter at the Lafayette Grill, a bar in New Orleans.
Bob Dylan "Hurricane"
Movie "Hurricane"
Free Amazon/youtube movies
News blitz

Last edited:
Back