Black on Asian: the girl who threw the sucker punch is the daughter of a former (BLACK) NBA player.

Arheel's Uncle

Senior Reporter

Sucker-punch at OC youth basketball game leaves girl with concussion

By Jory Rand and ABC7.com staff
Wednesday, November 10, 2021 1:47AM

An Orange County mom has filed a police complaint after her daughter was left with a concussion from a sucker punch during a youth basketball game.

GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- An Orange County mom has filed a police complaint after her daughter was left with a concussion from a vicious sucker punch during a youth basketball game.

The shocking video shows a player catch Alice Ham's daughter Lauryn by surprise, swinging a wild roundhouse punch that smashes into her chin and throat, and knocks her to the floor.

Alice says her 15-year-old daughter is in concussion protocol and has not been able to attend school or focus on anything for days after the assault. She has been mostly staying in a dark room and just trying to rest.

"Of course I was in total shock," she told Eyewitness News. "Just couldn't believe that could happen to my child."

"You always see things on video and you never think it could happen to you. To actually see it and know that was my kid just hurt me so bad."

The incident happened during a girls' basketball tournament in Garden Grove over the weekend.

In the video, the other team's player takes and misses a three-point shot, then falls backward, knocking Lauryn down. The two get up and a few seconds after they head back down the court, the other girl charges over to Lauryn and takes the aggressive swing.

Eyewitness News has learned the girl who threw the punch is the daughter of a former NBA player.

Alice was watching her other children play when the assault happened. When she went to pick her up daughter, Lauryn had a bag of ice and needed to be helped into the car.

Alice says she believe the other player's mother provoked the attack.

"I can hear pretty clearly the mom (in the video). I know it's the mom because the witnesses at the site told me. It's pretty clear that she tells her daughter you have to hit her for that. What 'that' is, I don't know. I don't know what the mom thinks she saw."

Alice Ham has filed a report with local law enforcement but has not yet heard updates on the status of the investigation.

"I want the daughter and the mom held accountable," she said. "Because this type of behavior is reprehensible and cannot happen in youth sports."

"It can't happen outside of youth sports. If this was taken out of the context and it happens on the street, it rises to the level of assault and battery. This is exactly what it is. The mom incites violence upon my child. And that is never OK. I want the mom to be held accountable for her actions."

Eyewitness News is not identifying the girl who threw the punch, a juvenile.

Attorney Brett Greenfield, who represents the family of the teen girl who threw the punch, released a statement to Eyewitness News:

"My client and her family are deeply and sincerely remorseful. This is a unfortunate incident involving a very hard working and promising student athlete. We must keep some perspective and keep in mind that this is a young minor who has made a mistake."

"The comments on social media in response to this incident are a cause of great concern for both the minor and her family. We would respectfully request that she be given the benefit of the doubt and that her privacy be respected given her young age."

Last edited:
Former NBA player apologizes for daughter's punch during OC game
By Christiane Cordero and ABC7.com staff
Friday, November 12, 2021 2:06AM

A former NBA player has issued an apology after his daughter was seen at a youth basketball game in Orange County throwing a vicious sucker punch that left another girl with a concussion.

GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- A former NBA player has issued an apology after his daughter was seen at a youth basketball game in Orange County throwing a vicious sucker punch that left another girl with a concussion.

Corey Benjamin apologized to the victim and said he was "shocked and disappointed at my daughter's behavior."

Benjamin, a SoCal native, played on the Chicago Bulls from 1998 to 2001 and had a short stint with the Atlanta Hawks. He also played on international teams in Europe and Asia.

"This is not how I raised my daughter," a statement from Benjamin said.

"To the young lady who was punched by my daughter during a youth basketball game, I sincerely apologize to you and I am praying for your complete healing both physically and emotionally. To her family, I deeply apologize and regret that this happened to your daughter as she did not deserve this to happen to her. Finally, I apologize to all of those who have been impacted and hurt by the actions of my daughter as well as those of her mother. I am here for your family and wish only the best for you. As a father, I'm shocked and disappointed at my daughter's behavior as this is not a reflection of the values and standards that my family holds. Nor does it exemplify the values, character and spirit of sportsmanship that the game of basketball requires. My daughter made a mistake. One that she will need to make right. I am committed to getting my daughter any help she may need and support her in taking accountability for her conduct."

But even as he issued the apology, video has emerged of an earlier, similar incident involving his daughter. The video shows her at another game throwing a wild punch at the player who is guarding her on the court and then chasing after another player who tries to pull her away as chaos breaks out. That incident happened Sept. 12, 2021 at a tournament in Carson.

Video of earlier incident
11226675_111121-kabc-ugc-swoosh-basketball-sucker-punch2-vid.jpg

A girl who was seen on video throwing a sucker punch at a youth basketball game in Garden Grove was involved in an earlier fight as well at a game in Carson.

During the recent incident, which happened over the weekend at a girls basketball tournament in Garden Grove, Benjamin's daughter is seen throwing a wild roundhouse punch that caught 15-year-old Lauryn Ham by surprise, hitting her on the chin and throat. Ham suffered a concussion and was unable to attend school or focus on anything after the incident, her mother said.

Her mother, Alice Ham, said she has filed a police complaint over the incident, including allegations that the girl's mother encouraged her to hit Lauryn.

"I want the daughter and the mom held accountable," Alice Ham told Eyewitness News. "Because this type of behavior is reprehensible and cannot happen in youth sports."

Kevin Hahn, an attorney for the Ham family said the apology from Corey Benjamin is "a start."

But he said there were deeper issues that were concerning, starting with the mother provoking her daughter. Also the family is questioning why the girl was allowed to continue playing after the earlier incident of violence. They have also heard anecdotally about additional instances, he said.

"The question is why has this been allowed to continue?" Hahn said. "Why hasn't it been put to a stop?"

"Perhaps what's more disturbing is the mother instructing the daughter to go and hit another child," he said. "That's beyond outrageous behavior."

AVAC United, the organization that sponsored the Garden Grove tournament, said the girl and her mother have been banned from future events.

The organization's CEO, Gary Thomas, issued a statement:

"There was recently an unfortunate incident where a player was punched by another player at our Tournament. We are very saddened about this and apologize to the family, fans, and all that have been impacted. We take these matters seriously and have taken action to ban this player and her mother from participating in, and or attending any future tournaments hosted by our organization. This type of behavior is never condoned by us and does not represent who we are or what we strive to teach our children. Again, we are very sorry about this incident."

Ex-Chicago Bulls star Corey Benjamin reveals it was his daughter 14, who was caught on viral video sucker-punching rival

• The 14-year-old basketball player filmed sucker-punching a 15-year-old opponent has been identified as the daughter of ex-Bulls player Corey Benjamin
  • Benjamin, who played three seasons with the Bulls and another with the Hawks, issued an apology on his daughters behalf: 'This is not how I raised my daughter'
  • Benjamin's daughter has not been identified by name because she is a minor
  • In a video that quickly went viral, Benjamin's daughter is seen sucker-punching an opponent during a tournament game in Orange County
  • Lauryn Ham, the victim who has been identified publicly by her own family, was blindsided by the punch and, according to her mother, suffered a concussion
  • The family has filed a report against the 14-year-old and also hopes to see charges against her mother, who allegedly told her to throw the sucker punch
  • According to Kevin Hahn, an attorney representing the victim, the 14-year-old was previously caught swinging at two opponents at another tournament
CIREY BENJAMIN.png
COREY BENJAMIN, the black girl's father.

Benjamin was arrested for domestic violence charges in 2000 and 2016.​

2016 TMZ: Ex-Chicago Bull Corey Benjamin Arrested for Domestic Violence

11/17/2016 11:15 AM PT​

Former Chicago Bulls player Corey Benjamin -- a 1st round pick in the '98 NBA Draft -- was arrested Tuesday after an altercation with his girlfriend allegedly turned physical.
Benjamin -- who was famously balled up by a retired Michael Jordan at a Bulls workout in 1999 -- has been accused of battery and cell phone smashing ... stemming from a February incident in California.
CB's longtime girlfriend told police they were arguing when Corey grabbed her phone and smashed it -- and then physically blocked her from using the house phone to call 911.
She claims she ran out of the house and drove to a nearby police station and got help. An arrest warrant was issued for Benjamin back in May -- but now, we've learned he was taken into custody this week.
He faces 3 charges -- 1 felony and 2 misdemeanors. He's due back in court later Thursday to be arraigned.

Criminal charges filed against mom of girl who sucker punched opponent during basketball game​

The daughter of former NBA player Corey Benjamin was captured on video sucker-punching an opponent during a youth basketball game. Now, the girl's mother, Tira Hunt, is facing criminal charges for allegedly encouraging her daughter to carry out the attack.

GARDEN GROVE, Calif. - The mother of a teenage girl who sucker-punched an opposing player during a youth basketball game in Garden Grove last month is now facing criminal charges, prosecutors announced Thursday.

Tira Hunt, whose full name is Latira Shonty Hunt, 44, of La Puente, has been charged with misdemeanor counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor and battery for allegedly urging her daughter from the stands to hit the other girl. She faces up to a year in jail if convicted.

According to the Orange County District Attorney's Office, Hunt yelled at her daughter from the stands during the Nov. 7 game, telling her daughter "you better hit her for that." Moments later, the daughter struck the other girl in the head, causing her to fall to the floor.

RELATED: Daughter of former NBA player seen on video sucker punching girl at OC basketball game

Back