BLACK: Deputies ID suspect in murder of Ga. 13-year-old boy shot while getting DoorDash delivery [at 1 a.m.]

Arheel's Uncle

Senior Reporter

Deputies ID suspect in murder of Ga. 13-year-old boy shot while getting DoorDash delivery​

By WSBTV.com News StaffApril 24, 2023 at 1:37 pm EDT
PJHHN7FRD5GBVESYK45FWSS6HI.jpg

RICHMOND COUNTY, Ga — Georgia deputies have identified a suspect in the murder of a 13-year-old boy who was shot to death while he was trying to grab his DoorDash delivery last month. [at 1a.m.]
Deputies identified 30-year-old Gregory Thornton as a suspect in the murder of 13-year-old Buddy Brown. Deputies said Thornton is considered armed and dangerous.
U.S. Marshals told Channel 2′s ABC affiliate WJBF that Thornton escaped to his home state of Maryland and was tracked in an apartment on April 18, but he escaped.

TRENDING STORIES:
The Richmond County Sheriff’s Office told WRDW they responded to Richmond Summit Apartment, located at 744 Broad Street in Augusta, on March 28 at around 3:07 a.m.
According to WRDW, when deputies arrived at the scene they found Brown outside, with at least one gunshot wound.
Officials said Brown was a seventh grader at Hornsby Middle School.
Anyone with information, in this case, is asked to contact Investigator Sean Morrow at 706-432-5281 or the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office at 706-821-1020 or 706-821-1080

Last edited:
13-year-old Buddy Brown
He is black.

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) - The family of a 13-year-old is struggling to understand how and why he was shot to death outside the downtown Augusta apartment building where he lives.

Buddy Brown Jr., a seventh-grader at Hornsby Middle School, was killed early Tuesday outside the Richmond Summit Apartments, 744 Broad St.

The shooting is among dozens that have swept the CSRA in the past year, claiming more than 80 lives since mid-April.

And although many of the victims and suspects in that time have been young men, none have been as young as Buddy.

He was killed while meeting a DoorDash driver who’d brought food the boy had ordered from McDonald’s.

The boy’s body was found around 3 a.m., but his family said he’d gone to the door to pick up the food between 12:30 and 1 a.m.
“He told me, ‘Dad, I’ll be right back. I’m going to get my order,’” said the boy’s father, Buddy Brown Sr.

He knew something was wrong when he got a call.

“He told me that my son was laying down there dead and I throw my phone down and ran down there and my son was laying there dead,” the dad said.
The boy’s family can’t figure out who would have shot him in the back of the head or why.

“It needs to stop – going around and killing each other,” the boy’s dad said. “We need to start helping each other and pull together.”
Article forgot to mention, the family stated that people need guns for protection, that guns need to be taken off the street.

Buddy’s family says he wasn’t in a gang and instead had more subdued interests – like reading and food.

“My baby loved to eat, and that’s what he was trying to do was eat,” said his mother, Mary Brown.

REMEMBERING BUDDY
Buddy Brown Jr.’s family is planning a balloon release in his memory at 6 p.m. Friday outside the Richmond Summit, 744 Broad St.
“He never walked the streets, never hung out. He didn’t like to do that. He just wanted to be around his family,” she said.

Last edited:
Back