Woman accused of telling couple to ‘stay in their hood’ in NYC dog park confrontation

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Woman accused of telling couple to ‘stay in their hood’ in NYC dog park confrontation​

September 26, 2021 3:55pm
Updated

Woman accused of telling couple to ‘stay in their hood’ in NYC dog park confrontation

A dog owner who is black says a white woman in a Brooklyn dog park threatened to call the cops on him and his fiancée — allegedly telling them to “stay in their hood” after she confused their pooch for one barking loudly.
Frederick Joseph said the woman confronted him and his fiancée as they were leaving a dog run in McCarren Park in Williamsburg.
“At the dog park in Brooklyn with my fiancé and this white woman was threatening to call police and told us to ‘stay in our hood’ because she had our dog confused with another dog who had been barking loudly,” Joseph wrote on Twitter on Saturday.
“So, I started recording and she tried to slap the phone out my hand,” he added.
Joseph shared footage of the woman trying to hit his phone and then give him the finger.
The woman who told Frederick Joseph and his fiancée to stay in their hood at a dog park in Brooklyn.The woman who told Frederick Joseph and his fiancée to “stay in their hood” at a dog park in Brooklyn.Twitter
“You just left the dog park to tell us to stay in our hood?” Joseph could then be heard saying.
“Oh my god, did you just say that to me? S–t,” the woman, clutching her hand to her chest, said.
Joseph then turned to another man nearby and asked, “I’m sorry you were right here and watched this whole thing. Did she not just stand here and tell us to stay in our hood?”
“She did,” the man replied.

The woman then apparently became “surprised” that the bystander backed them up and took off, Joseph said.
It’s unclear what exactly occurred before the video was recorded.
The NYPD said it was “looking into the incident” but would not confirm whether a report was filed.
The footage, which has received more than 100,000 views, drew outrage from others on social media who slammed the woman for acting like the “victim.”
“Tried to claim the victim until the other white person confirmed it. My fellow white people speak up and speak out,” wrote one Twitter user.
“What’s chilling about this is you can see the exact second where she makes the decision to start lying and pretending she is being attacked. She clutches her chest and says, ‘Oh my god did you just say that to me?’ The violence of this and how easily she went there is terrifying,” another added.

Last edited by a moderator:

White woman accused of telling black couple to ‘stay in their hood’ is fired​

By
Jackie Salo

September 27, 2021 11:29am
Updated

A white woman who allegedly threatened to call police on a black couple in a Brooklyn dog park — while telling them to “stay in [your] hood” — has been fired from her job, her former employer said.
Emma Sarley, who was identified by the other dog owner, Frederick Joseph, as the woman filmed in the confrontation in McCarren Park in Williamsburg, had worked for the virtual conference software platform Bevy, according to her deleted LinkedIn page.
“@BevyHQ has zero tolerance for discriminatory behavior of any kind. Yesterday an employee engaged in behavior contrary to our values and has been terminated. We apologize deeply to all involved,” CEO Derek Andersen wrote on Twitter on Sunday.
“I personally hope some type of resolution can happen between the two parties beyond this and will help if I can,” he added.
Joseph, the man who was involved in the altercation with Sarley, reacted to the decision.
“I’ve been told that @DerekjAndersen and @bevyhq have let go of Emma Sarley, as her racism against me and fiancé doesn’t align with their values. I hope this is a lesson in accountability and consequences for Emma and others,” he wrote on Twitter.
Frederick Joseph.Frederick Joseph filmed the confrontation in McCarren Park, where he and his fiancée were told to “stay in [your] hood” by Emma Sarley.Twitter
Joseph had claimed that the woman had confronted him and his fiancée as they were leaving the dog park Saturday.
“At the dog park in Brooklyn with my fiancé and this white woman was threatening to call police and told us to ‘stay in our hood’ because she had our dog confused with another dog who had been barking loudly,” Joseph wrote on Twitter.
Footage posted by him to Twitter showed the woman trying to hit his phone and then giving him the finger.
“You just left the dog park to tell us to stay in our hood?” Joseph could then be heard saying.
“Oh my God, did you just say that to me? S–t,” the woman said.
Joseph then turned to another man nearby and asked, “I’m sorry, you were right here and watched this whole thing. Did she not just stand here and tell us to stay in our hood?”
Emma Sarley.Footage posted by Frederick Joseph to Twitter showed Emma Sarley trying to hit his phone and then giving him the finger.Twitter Emma Sarley.Sarley’s employer, Bevy, said on Twitter that she had been fired.Twitter Emma Sarley.“No one should treat people the way we witnessed,” Emma Sarley’s former employer wrote.Twitter
“She did,” the man replied.
Joseph’s video did not capture what led up to the confrontation.
Sarley could be immediately reached for comment on Monday.
Her former employer said he had been in touch with Joseph about the incident.

“Spoke with @FredTJoseph about his and his fiancé’s horrific experience from last night. So sorry to them for what has happened. No one should treat people the way we witnessed. This is extremely troubling,” Anderson wrote on Twitter.
The NYPD said it was looking into the incident.

White woman accused of telling black couple to ‘stay in your hood’ denies ‘racial undertones’​

By
Mark Lungariello

September 27, 2021 6:35pm
Updated

A white woman who came under fire for telling a black couple to “stay in [your] hood” during a spat in a Brooklyn dog park denied Monday that her comments had any “racial undertones.”
Emma Sarley — who was booted from her job amid a social-media backlash to the viral video of Saturday’s confrontation in McCarren Park in Williamsburg — added that she was sorry for her “brief and thoughtless moment.
“My reference to ‘back to your hood’ only referred to another dog park outside of this neighborhood park,” Sarley said in a statement provided to The Post.
“I was frustrated and upset, but to be clear – I had no intended racial undertones in my comments whatsoever. I said it because it’s an unstated rule at our local park that when a dog is being aggressive, owners immediately remove them so it can be a calm, welcoming environment for everyone else.
“However, I fully understand how my words could’ve been interpreted and I deeply wish I had chosen them more carefully,” she said. “A brief and thoughtless moment in my life has now led to nationwide outrage and hurt. For that, I am sorry.”
In the statement, issued through a public-relations firm, Sarley said she absolutely accepts responsibility for “how I could have handled things differently in that moment.”
Frederick Joseph posted this to Twitter. At the dog park in Brooklyn with my fiancé and this white woman, Emma Sarley, was threatening to call police and told us to “stay in our hood” because she had our dog confused with another dog who had been barking loudly.Frederick Joseph has said he and his fiancée were threatened by Emma Sarley.Twitter
Sarley also claimed that she never threatened to call the police during the confrontation, as she was accused of doing, nor went on “a tirade.
“As the dog owners followed me down the street with the phone camera on, I was filled with some panic because I’ve never been in an altercation like this and reacted in an inappropriate way,” she said. “That’s what you witnessed on that tape.
“I’ve lived in New York City for a decade, my Brooklyn neighborhood and dog park is extremely diverse, something I truly love about this city, and I never meant for my words to contribute to pain for anyone,” she added. “I truly hope we can find understanding and a peaceful resolution to this, for everyone involved.”
Frederick Joseph posted this to Twitter. At the dog park in Brooklyn with my fiancé and this white woman, Emma Sarley, was threatening to call police and told us to “stay in our hood” because she had our dog confused with another dog who had been barking loudly. So, I started recording and she tried to slap the phone out my hand.Emma Sarley was fired from her job after social-media backlash to the viral video.Twitter
Frederick Joseph has said he and his fiancée were threatened by Sarley after she confused their dog with a different pooch that had been barking loudly at the park.
“So I started recording and she tried to slap the phone out of my hand,” Joseph wrote on Twitter, referring to Sarley.
In the aftermath of the video, Sarley was fired her job with the software platform Bevy.

Back