Truck smashes into crowded Stockholm department store

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
http://nypost.com/2017/04/07/truck-crashes-into-store-in-stockholm/

Truck smashes into crowded Stockholm department store
By Amanda Woods and Yaron Steinbuch
April 7, 2017 | 9:34am | Updated

170407-sweden-attacks-feature.jpg

At least three people were killed in Stockholm on Friday when a hijacked beer truck plowed through a crowd of pedestrians in what the Swedish prime minister called a “terror attack.”

Prime Minister Stefan Lofven said one person was arrested after hundreds of people fled for their lives near the upscale Ahlens Mall along the pedestrian thoroughfare of Drottninggatan.

“Sweden has been attacked,” Lofven declared. “This indicates that it is an act of terror.”

Swedish beermaker Spendrups said its truck had been carjacked earlier Friday during a delivery to a restaurant, Agence France-Presse reported.

Photos showed the truck sticking out of the store after it smashed through the throng and left many injured at 3 p.m. local time.

“There are deaths, and many injured,” Nina Odermalm Schei, a spokeswoman for Swedish intelligence agency Sapo, told AFP.

Police said on their website: “A lorry ran over people on Drottninggatan near Klarabergsgatan. There are reports of shots being fired but they have currently not been confirmed.”

Swedish radio reporter Martin Svenningsen told Reuters that he saw “at least three dead, but probably more.”

A witness said he saw a number of what appeared to be victims covered by blankets at the scene. Several people were rushed away by ambulance.

“I went to the main street when a big truck came out of nowhere. I could not see if anyone was driving it but it got out of control. I saw at least two being run over. I ran as fast as I could from there,” a witness told the Swedish daily Aftonbladet.

Back