Trial for negro rapist,79 year old vic. testifies

Hellcat

Registered

Goolsby trial opens with victim's testimony

LAWRENCEVILLE --Jurors in the trial of an alleged serial rapist on Tuesday watched the videotaped testimony of a 79-year-old woman who recalled being too weak to fight off her attacker.

The woman, who is not named because she is a rape victim, said she was watching television at about 4 a.m. on Sept. 8, 2002, when her little dog became excited and ran to the door. She got to her feet, grabbed her walking cane and went to the kitchen.

She encountered a young black male who grabbed her by the arms and said God sent me to heal you, according to the victim's videotaped deposition.
She was baffled and struggled as he p
shed her toward the couch.
" said you're not going to rape me, are you? the woman recalled. He said, 'This is between me and you and God,' and that's when he raped me.
Prosecutors allege the vict

im was
among three women who were raped by Terry Lee Goolsby, 23, in less than a year. She was allowed to make a videotaped deposition because she is in poor health.

A 31-year-old woman who allegedly became Goolsby's third victim on Dec. 21, 2002, lived two streets away from the home of 79-year-old victim, who was then 77. Both women resided in Smoke Creek mobile home park in Centerville.
The first victim was raped in Newton County on Feb. 28, 2002, where a case against Goolsby is still pending.

Assistant District Attorney Cari Johanssen during opening statements told the jury that DNA evidence found on each of the victims links Goolsby to the case. Goolsby also lived in the same building as the Newton County victim, where he allegedly crawled through the ceiling to get into her ap
artment, Johanssen said. He later lived in Smoke Creek mobile home park, across the street from the 31-year-old victim.
Goolsby's attorney, Matthew Ledbetter called into question the reliability
of t
he state's
DNA evidence during his opening statement.
DNA evidence is not magic, Ledbetter said. DNA evidence is not positive. It does not say with absolute certainty that the DNA came from Mr. Goolsby.
Ledbetter also said composite sketches of the suspect drawn from each victim's description differ from each other and don't look like Goolsby. He contends the victims didn't get a good enough look at their attacker to identify his client as the suspect.

http://www.gwinnettdailyonline.com/GDP/arc...8EEFCAA0638.asp

Back