Teen fatally shot by bike-riding gunman in Soho ID’d as Brooklyn student

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Teen fatally shot by bike-riding gunman in Soho ID’d as Brooklyn student​

By
Social Links for Emily Crane

Published May 8, 2024, 7:28 a.m. ET

The teenager who was gunned down outside a swanky Soho hotel by a Citi Bike-riding gunman in a brazen daylight attack has been identified.

Mahki Brown, 16, died after being shot in the head opposite the Dominick Hotel on Spring Street shortly before 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, police said.

The teen, who lived in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, was rushed to Bellevue Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, cops added.

The shooting, which occurred opposite the Chelsea Career and Technical Education High School, may have been school-related, law enforcement sources said.

Mahki Brown 5
Mahki Brown, 16, died after being shot in the head.

Citizen video shows the scene where a person was reportedly shot near SPring St. and Varick St in Manhattan, Tuesday, May 7, 2024. 5
The teen was rushed to Bellevue Hospital with life-threatening injuries, law enforcement sources said. Citizen App
victim family 5
The teen lived in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. Stephen Yang
The slain teen, who also took two bullets to the leg, was a student at nearby Broome Street Academy Charter High School, according to sources.

It wasn’t immediately clear if Brown was the intended target, but sources said the gunfire may have erupted following a dispute between two groups of girls earlier that day.

No arrests have yet been made, cops said.

Explore More​

Houston attorney Jeffrey Limmer shot and killed by McDonald’s customer outraged over order

Teen fatally shot in head by bike-riding gunman in Soho: sources

Drake's home taped off by police

Drake’s property taped off by police after his security guard was wounded in shooting in ritzy community

In the immediate aftermath of the shooting, an injured Brown collapsed in an alley next to the Dominick Hotel, horrified witnesses recalled.

“It was sickening,” Justo Cruz, a security guard who works in the area, told The Post.

“He was just laid down, looking unconscious. I saw some blood on the shirt but I didn’t look. Nothing nice. That was a human on the floor. That was movie-like.”

“No matter how nice a place is or stuff like that, you always kind of have to be on high alert in a sense,” Cruz added. “Soho — good vibes, good energy, very diverse. You don’t expect certain things in a nice area.”

student emotional at scene 5
Witnesses were emotional at the scene. Stephen Yang
Citizen video shows the scene where a person was reportedly shot near SPring St. and Varick St in Manhattan, Tuesday, May 7, 2024. 5
There is no immediate info on the motive for the shooting. Citizen App
Meanwhile, a nearby parking attendant said he ran for cover after hearing at least two gunshots.

“I was protecting myself because you didn’t know where the sound was coming from,” he said. “People were running, so I also ran.”

Back