Suspect in NYC box-cutter attack on Asian woman charged with hate crime​

By
Amanda Woods,

Larry Celona and

Kyle Schnitzer

August 2, 2022 9:12am
Updated

Times Square slasher being walked from the Midtown South Precinct on Aug. 2

The random box-cutter attack on an Asian woman in Times Square was a hate crime, cops said Tuesday – as they busted and charged the suspect in the case.
Alleged career criminal Anthony Evans, 30, was caught on shocking video slashing the 59-year-old seamstress Sunday morning as she was walking along Seventh Avenue near West 42nd Street in Manhattan, authorities said.
The 30-year-old suspect — who has previously been arrested more than 30 times — was busted in the assault around 8:45 a.m. Tuesday and now faces raps of assault as a hate crime and criminal possession of a weapon.
“My mom is happy an arrest has been made and that the perpetrator is off the streets,” the victim’s 23-year-old daughter, who asked not to be identified, told The Post on Tuesday.
The NYPD released a mugshot of Anthony Evans, 30, who they have connected to the random slashing of a woman in Times Square early Sunday.Anthony Evans, 30, has been linked to the random slashing of a woman in Times Square early Sunday.NYPD
It wasn’t immediately clear why Evan — who has previously been busted for such things as robbery, criminal possession of a weapon and turnstile-jumping — was charged with a hate crime. The daughter declined further comment.
1_th.jpg

00:02 01:08
Evans, dressed in a black t-shirt and gray sweatpants, was led from the Midtown South Precinct in handcuffs just before noon Tuesday, keeping his head down and ignoring reporters’ questions about why he allegedly slashed the woman and whether he was sorry. He faces an arraignment in Manhattan Criminal Court.

Evans getting walked out of the Midtown South Precinct after his arrest on August 2, 2022.Evans getting walked out of the Midtown South Precinct after his arrest Aug. 2, 2022.Robert Miller The NYPD determined the attack on the Asian-American woman was a hate crime.The NYPD determined the attack on the Asian-American woman was a hate crime.Robert Miller
Asian American groups Tuesday called for more action to try to curb such crimes.

“While anti-Asian violence may no longer garner media headlines, this attack, as well as the others in mid-July, are a reminder that Asian New Yorkers continue to suffer violence and its inevitable consequence – fear, and mental anguish,” said Jo-Ann Yoo, executive director of the Asian American Federation, in an e-mailed statement to The Post.

“Asian New Yorkers do not feel safe – and we continue to urge our lawmakers to provide more resources to the community so we can live without fear in the City we call home.”

Last month, a bigoted man headbutted a 27-year-old male victim while spewing anti-Asian comments at him in Long Island City, Queens, cops said.

Around the same time, another biased creep told an Asian woman to “get out of this country” and kicked her in Manhattan, police said.

The NYPD released Evans’ photo Monday evening and named him as a suspect in the most recent alleged bias incident.

The victim – who has lived in the city for decades – was pulling a shopping trolley down the block when the suspect walked up behind her, raised the weapon in the air and slashed the blade down on her right hand, footage previously released by police shows.

Evans and fled the scene afterward, cops said.

Evans faces charges for assault as a hate crime and criminal possession of a weapon.Evans faces charges for assault as a hate crime and criminal possession of a weapon.Robert Miller Footage shows the moment the alleged slasher, identified as Anthony Evans, 30, attacked the 59-year-old woman without provocation on Seventh Avenue near West 42nd Street.Footage shows the moment the alleged slasher, identified as Anthony Evans, 30, attacked the 59-year-old woman without provocation on Seventh Avenue near West 42nd Street.NYPD The 59-year-old victim was taken to  Bellevue Hospital, where she was listed in stable condition.The 59-year-old victim was taken to Bellevue Hospital, where she was listed in stable condition.Paul Martinka daylight slashing woundThe victim’s daughter said she was left traumatized by the event.
The victim’s daughter told The Post on Monday that the assault had left her mother “traumatized.

“It was a very violent event, a very violent thing to do,” the daughter said. “I wouldn’t wish this upon anybody — even my worst enemies.

“I hope it wasn’t for malicious reasons,” the daughter said.

“I just want to make sure that it’s clear that we don’t know what is the motivation behind the attack,” she added. “If it’s mental health-related, I hope [the suspect is] found and receive the necessary treatment. If the perpetrator had malicious reasons, I hope they’re found and prosecuted.”

Additional reporting by Kate Sheehy

Back