Student Killed Hours After Sister Attended Obama's Gun Violence Speech in CHI

voiceofreason

Senior News Editor since 2011
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/02/16/student-killed-hours-after-sister-attended-presidents-speech/

VIDEO AT LINK

Student Killed Hours After Sister Attended President’s Speech
February 16, 2013 5:03 PM

janay.jpg

NORTH CHICAGO, Ill. (CBS) — Another Chicago student shot and killed just hours after President Obama’s speech on gun violence, a speech her sister attended.:rolleyes:

18-year-old Janay McFarlane was gunned down in suburban North Chicago, reports CBS-2′S Mike Puccinelli.

“The next thing I knew I got a call and they said my baby was dead. And she was shot in the head,” said Angela Blakely, the victim’s mother.

That was last night, and Angela Blakely’s baby was her oldest daughter Janay McFarlane gunned down as she walked home from a store in North Chicago.

A young man she was walking with appears to have been the target, but the drive by killers instead hit Janay.

When asked what she would say to the killers, Blakely responded, “I would say I don’t know why you killed my baby. My baby doesn’t bother anybody. She’s a friend to anybody. She’s a loving person.”

Janay attended Hyde Park Career Academy where President Obama spoke yesterday for three years before transferring to an alternative school after she became pregnant a year ago. But her younger sister Destiny still attends Hyde Park and was in the audience standing right behind the President as he decried the violence that claimed the life of Hadiya Pendleton and so many other young Chicagoans. Destiny was too distraught to talk about her big sister.

But her mom told of how Janay often spoke of Hadiya and other murder victims.

“She said ‘Mom that’s so sad. I feel so bad for that little girl’ every time she saw kids on tv she said ‘Momma I feel so bad for these people that gotta leave their kids,’” said Blakely.

Now ironically, the young woman who empathized so much with others leaves behind her three month old son Jayden.:rolleyes:

“Now, I gotta raise my baby without his mother. How am I going to explain that to him?,” said Blakely.

Police are questioning two persons of interest in connection with Janay’s death. So far though no charges have been filed.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/02...se-sister-attended-obama-gun-violence-speech/

Murder Charges Filed In Death Of Teen Whose Sister Attended Obama Gun Violence Speech
February 20, 2013 8:57 AM

NORTH CHICAGO (STMW) – Murder charges have been filed against a man in connection with the shooting death of Janay McFarlane, 18, who was gunned down Friday just hours after her sister stood on stage with President Barack Obama as he delivered an address against violence.

jim_mcpherson.png
N Jim McPherson.png

Jim McPherson, 21, was charged with murder, armed violence, UUW and possession of a controlled substance, according to a spokesman for North Chicago, where the shooting occurred.

North Chicago police took two “persons of interest” into custody. It was not immediately clear whether the second person would be charged.

Last edited by a moderator:
the violence that claimed the life of Hadiya Pendleton

NEVER FORGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will wear orange on 1st Friday's in June, you will recognize how old she would be, had she lived.
She is one of the new "martyrs" to be worshipped. The h3ll with real Martyrs.
You will ignore the fact that she was shot by 2 hooded black gang rats.
You will ignore the facts of criminal browns, blacks, guns & gangs.

Two suspects, Michael Ward, 18, and Kenneth Williams, 20, were arrested and indicted with multiple counts of first degree murder, attempted murder, aggravated discharge of a weapon and many other charges. They told police that Pendleton was not the intended target. The group she was standing with was mistaken for members of a rival gang.[6] A judge denied bail for the two gang members.[7]

At the time of the shooting, Ward, the gunman, was on probation. In January 2012, he pleaded guilty to aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, and was sentenced to two years of probation. Less than three months later, he was arrested and charged with breaking into a car. In July 2012, he was arrested for breaking into a different vehicle. In November 2012, he was arrested for misdemeanor trespassing. During his youth, he had also been arrested numerous times on charges ranging from robbery to battery to marijuana possession, and had spent time on juvenile probation.[8]

Ward and Williams were each charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder, and aggravated battery with a firearm. The trial started on August 14, 2018.[9] On August 22, 2018, a jury found Williams guilty of first degree murder of Pendleton. Williams was also found guilty of aggravated battery to her friends, Sebastian Moore and Lawrence Sellers.[10]

On August 23, 2018, a jury found Ward guilty of first degree murder in the death of Pendleton.[11] Ward was sentenced to 84 years in prison on January 14, 2019.

On July 20, 2021, Williams was sentenced to 42 years in prison, 35 for the murder and seven for the aggravated battery.
[12]

18-year-old Janay McFarlane
Killed by hood rats.

Legacy​

In the song "Jonylah Forever", rapper Lupe Fiasco presents an alternate reality where Jonylah Watkins, who was murdered by gun violence at the age of 6 months in Chicago, grew to be a doctor and met Hadiya Pendleton who grew to be an artist in Chicago. The song is featured on the album Drogas Wave.

This infuriating stuff makes one want to puke, we seem to have lost our old forum puke emojis.

Bill Text

WHEREAS, Every day, more than 110 Americans are killed by gun violence, alongside more than 200 who are shot and wounded, and on average there are nearly 16,000 gun homicides every year; and
WHEREAS, Americans are 26 times more likely to die by gun homicide than people in other high-income countries; and
WHEREAS, California has 3,160 gun deaths every year, with a rate of 7.8 deaths per 100,000 people. California has the 45th highest rate of gun deaths in the United States; and
WHEREAS, Protecting public safety in the communities they serve is among a legislator’s highest responsibilities; and
WHEREAS, Support for the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens goes hand-in-hand with keeping guns away from people that should not have them; and
WHEREAS, Gun violence prevention is more important than ever as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to exacerbate gun violence after more than two years of increased gun sales, increased calls to suicide and domestic violence hotlines, and increased city gun violence; and
WHEREAS, In January 2013, Hadiya Pendleton was tragically shot and killed at age 15; and on June 3, 2022, to recognize the 25th birthday of Hadiya Pendleton (born: June 2, 1997), people across the United States will recognize National Gun Violence Awareness Day and wear orange in tribute to Hadiya Pendleton, other victims of gun violence, and the loved ones of those victims; and
WHEREAS, The idea was inspired by a group of Hadiya’s friends, who asked their classmates to commemorate her life by wearing orange; they chose this color because hunters wear orange to announce themselves to other hunters when out in the woods and orange is a color that symbolizes the value of human life; and
WHEREAS, Anyone can join this campaign by pledging to wear orange on June 3, the first Friday in June in 2022, to help raise awareness about gun violence; and
WHEREAS, By wearing orange on June 3, 2022, Americans will raise awareness about gun violence and honor the lives of gun violence victims and survivors; and
WHEREAS, We renew our commitment to reduce gun violence and pledge to do all we can to keep firearms out of the wrong hands and encourage responsible gun ownership to help keep our children safe; now, therefore, be it
Resolved by the Senate of the State of California, That the Senate declares the first Friday in June, June 3, 2022, to be National Gun Violence Awareness Day, and encourages all citizens to support their communities’ efforts to prevent the tragic effects of gun violence and to honor and value human lives; and be it further
Resolved, That the Secretary of the Senate transmit copies of this resolution to the author for distribution.

Last edited:
on the same day her sister was sitting near President
No she wasn't, that was a political stunt, irony?

McFarlane was killed the day after her sister attended President Obama’s speech about gun violence at Hyde Park Academy.

Back