Stranger beats 12-year-old NYC boy with crutch in random attack: video

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Stranger beats 12-year-old NYC boy with crutch in random attack: video​

By
Amanda Woods

November 23, 2022 10:33am
Updated

An unhinged man randomly attacked a 12-year-old boy heading to school in Brooklyn — beating the youngster in the head with a crutch, shocking new video shows.
The boy was near the corner of St. Paul’s Place and St. Paul’s Court in Prospect Park last week when a stranger ran across the street and hit him with it twice with a single crutch, according to the NYPD and video they released early Wednesday.
As the maniac swung a third time, the pre-teen ran off, avoiding getting hit again.
Cops say the assailant picked the crutch up off the ground, possibly from a pile of trash, and was hanging out mid-block before he pounced on the unsuspecting kid.
He mumbled something incomprehensible during the unprovoked Nov. 17 attack, cops said.

00:03 01:23
The fiend calmly walked off after the assault, ditching the crutch on the sidewalk as he headed north on St. Paul’s Place.

A maniac bludgeoned a 12-year-old boy with a cane in an unprovoked attack as he headed to school on Thursday, cops said. A maniac bludgeoned a 12-year-old boy with a cane in an unprovoked attack as he headed to school on Thursday, cops said. NYPD The suspect struck the youngster twice, and swung at him a third time but missed, NYPD footage shows.The suspect struck the youngster twice, and swung at him a third time but missed, NYPD footage shows.NYPD
The victim suffered minor head injuries and was taken to a local urgent care in stable condition. He had been heading to the Church Avenue B and Q train station at the time of the attack.

The suspect was still on the loose Wednesday morning.

He is described as a male with dark complexion, a medium build and a beard. He was last seen wearing a black winter hat, a black jacket with a yellow hood, blue jeans and black sneakers.

Maniac who beat boy, 12, with crutch busted outside school: NYPD​

By
Amanda Woods

November 24, 2022 11:38am
Updated

The maniac who randomly attacked a 12-year-old boy on his way to school – beating him with a single crutch – was busted this week, authorities said.
Jamal McIlwain, 28, targeted the unsuspecting kid near the corner of St. Paul’s Place and St. Paul’s Court in Prospect Park South around 7:30 a.m. Nov. 17 – walloping him twice with the crutch and trying to hit him a third time, according to the NYPD and video they released.
McIlwain was picked up Wednesday when a 911 caller reported a “disorderly male” in front of an unspecified high school, cops said.
McIlwain spit on a responding officer, police said.
Upon arrest, cops recognized him as the suspect in the crutch attack, authorities said.

00:01 00:58
He was charged with assault, acting in a manner injurious to a child and menacing, cops said.

Authorities say McIlwain picked the crutch up off the ground, possibly from a pile of trash, and was hanging out mid-block before he pounced on the unsuspecting kid.

He mumbled something incomprehensible during the unprovoked Nov. 17 attack, cops said.

Surveillance photo of Jamal McIlwain, 28, who allegedly struck the youngster with a crutch near the corner of St. Paul's Place at St. Paul's Court in Prospect Park South.Jamal McIlwain, 28, allegedly struck the youngster with a crutch near the corner of St. Paul’s Place and St. Paul’s Court in Prospect Park South around 7:30 a.m. Nov. 17.NYPD Cops say the menace struck the victim twice with the crutch and tried to hit him a third time.Cops say the menace struck the victim twice with the crutch and tried to hit him a third time.NYPD
The fiend calmly walked off after the assault, ditching the crutch on the sidewalk as he headed north on St. Paul’s Place.

He had been heading to the Church Avenue B and Q train station at the time of the attack.

“It’s weird how he ran across the street just to hit me,” the youngster, who was not identified, told WPIX Wednesday. “When he hit me, it took me a few seconds to process what was going on. I tried to block it with this arm and ran.”

McIlwain is shown walking with the crutch he allegedly used to beat the 12-year-old boy.McIlwain said something incomprehensible during the attack, cops said. NYPD

The boy suffered minor head injuries and was taken to a local urgent care in stable condition.

“I’m feeling better than a few days ago when I got hit. The eye used to be swollen very much. I didn’t do anything to him, so how come he has a grudge against me?”

Back