Spic shot in bank robbery attempt

White Boy

Registered

Bank Robbery Suspect Shot
Police Say Man May Have Committed Other Heists

POSTED: 11:12 am EDT April 8, 2004
UPDATED: 5:03 pm EDT April 8, 2004

ATLANTA -- A possible serial bank robbery suspect was shot and wounded Thursday by Atlanta police following a wild gun battle in West End in which at least one bystander was randomly targeted with bullets.

Michael Diaz, 28, was shot in the leg following the robbery at the SouthTrust bank, located at 874 Ralph David Abernathy Blvd., and a brief foot chase to apprehend him. He is facing several aggravated assault charges in connection with the incident as well as possible bank robbery charges, police said.

The man was take
for medical treatment to Grady Memorial Hospital. His condition was not immediately available although his wound is not believed to be life threatening.

No other injuries were reported. It was uncle

ar
ow much money the man took
during the incident because the bag that contains the cash has not yet been found, according to published reports.

Authorities said the robbery occurred around 9 a.m. at the West End bank. Police, who were already patrolling the area, arrived at the bank while the man was leaving. Tellers at the financial institution told police they recognized the man as someone who had previously held the bank up in January.

Georgia Tech ROTC student Nekeisha Johnson said the man fired several rounds at her as she was driving by.

"He just started shooting at me," she said. "I saw him and he looked at me and starting shooting at my car."

Johnson was not injured but a bullet flattened the rear tire on her car. The man allegedly fired at least t
hree bullets at a police cruiser that was responding to the call while running from the scene, police said.

Police Maj. Samuel Patterson said the man opened fire on a second officer befor
e th
e po
liceman re
turned fire, striking the suspect. The man was sh
ot while trying to scale a neighborhood fence, authorities said.

According to a report in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, police were searching for a green Army-style duffle bag that contained the money from the bank. Tellers put a dye pack in the bag that may have exploded, the newspaper said.

Police said the man could be responsible for several other bank robberies in the West End area.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/2985594/detail.html

Back