Soccer coach forfeits season whining about

White Boy

Registered

http://www.wqad.com/Global/story.asp?S=1811514&nav=1sW7MYsC

Columbus Junction Soccer coach forfeits the season protecting his players

By Karetha Dodd

COLUMBUS JUNCTION - Last Friday, Columbus Junction High School took on Keokuk Cardinal Stritch in soccer. But Columbus' coach says he heard racial slurs from some of Cardinal Strich's players and fans. Columbus' team is overwhelmingly Hispanic. The coach says after referees failed to step in, he had to step up.

"It's one thing to trash talk, but you gotta leave nationality and heritage out of it," says Tony
Onesto who coached Columbus' team.

The end of the season came too soon for the Columbus High School soccer team. After hearing racial slurs from an opposing team and some of its fans, their coach

pu
led them off the field in the middle of a game. "How much can anyone t
ake of being called spic, beaner, mud dog, that's just wrong," says Onesto. "It made me upset. Especially, grown-ups saying things like that," says high school soccer player Jamie Benitez.

Coach Onesto says some of Keokuk Cardinal Stritch's soccer players were also physically assaulting his players. "They were kicking us in the upper thigh which is illegal in soccer. And we figured they were trying to hurt our players," Danny Rodriguez. "I made the decision if I didn't remove the team, they were going to get hurt," says Onesto.

But according to Iowa High School Athletic Association rules, walking off the field means forfeiting the season. If I knew the conse
quences, would I still have done it? Yeah," says Onesto. "My number one priority is to provide a safe and healthy environment. And it should be the #1 priority of the Athletic Associat
ion.
&quo
t;

But the question remains, whether or not the coach made the right call on the field, should the team and their fans be pena
lized? "I don't think the kids should be penalized for what the coach did," says the Columbus' School Superintendent Rich Bridenstine.

Coach Onesto resigned yesterday. According to the Superintendent, Onesto's resignation was voluntary. But according to Onesto, he had no choice. He says he was told...either resign or be fired. Nevertheless, Onesto continues to works at Columbus' Elementary School as an Arts teacher.

School officials at Columbus Junction have filed an appeal. They want the team to be able to finish the season. The Iowa High School Athletic Association will make a decision at a hearing this Saturday in Des Moines.
<
br>

Back