Red Deer, Alberta WM doctor, 45 dead after hammer, machete attack Walk-in Clinic by Sudanese negro

voiceofreason

Senior News Editor since 2011
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/red-deer-doctor-village-mall-walk-in-clinic-1.5682921

'I'm sick. I need a doctor,' man charged with murder of Red Deer physician tells court
Deng Mabiour, 54, has been charged with first-degree murder

dr-walter-reynolds.jpg

A man charged with killing a Red Deer doctor at a walk-in clinic told a judge Wednesday he is ill and doesn't recall details about the attack.:rolleyes:

Deng Mabiour spoke to the court by telephone from his cell at the Red Deer Remand Centre, where he is being held in quarantine due to the pandemic.

The court clerk read the charges and Judge W. Albert Skinner asked Mabiour if he understood them.

"I don't remember everything in detail," he said. "When I get healthy, I will remember everything."

Pressed by the judge, Mabiour said, "I didn't remember everything because I'm sick. I need a doctor."

He then laughed.

The matter was adjourned briefly to allow a defence lawyer to speak to Mabiour.

When Mabiour was back on the phone, the judge told him, "You have to understand what you are charged with."

Again the man repeated that he didn't understand because he is sick.

Skinner advised him to contact legal aid to obtain a lawyer before his next court appearance on Sept. 9.

Walter Reynolds, 45, was attacked with a hammer and a machete on Monday morning inside the Village Mall Walk-in Clinic. He died later in hospital.

Mabiour, 54, was arrested at the scene and has been charged with first-degree murder, assault with a weapon and assaulting a police officer.

He has no known criminal record.

Doctor killed in Red Deer attack was targeted by assailant, RCMP say
Red Deer doctor dies after attack at walk-in medical clinic

Targeted and premeditated attack

RCMP have described the attack as targeted and premeditated.

Mabiour and Reynolds knew each other through the clinic, Supt. Gerald Grobmeier, commander of the Red Deer RCMP detachment, said during a news conference Tuesday.

"The individual went in with a goal, and so it wasn't a random attack," Grobmeier said. "The individual went into the clinic for that purpose.

"In 27 years of policing, I've never seen a doctor attacked like that."

deng-mabiour.jpg

Deng Wil Luol Deng, who lives in South Sudan but knows Mabiour from the South Sudanese community in Red Deer, said he is shocked by the allegations.

The clinic, sandwiched in between a hair salon and a dollar store, remained cordoned off with yellow police tape.

Back