Rare bottle of Nazi Führerwein to be sold at auction

-88-

Registered
Rare bottle of Nazi FÃԠ’Ô� ’”�Å¡‚¼hrerwein to be sold at auction

Rare bottle of Nazi Führerwein to be sold at auction

A rare bottle of Nazi wine emblazoned with Hitler's face and handed out to top ranking German officers during the Second World War is set to fetch up to Ô�Å¡£500 at auction.

The unopened bottle of red 'Fuhrerwein' dates back to 1943 when it would have been presented to a high-flying Nazi general to mark the dictator's 54th birthday.

But the bottle, in good condition with a worn wax seal instead of a cork, is expected to leave a Nazi-taste in the mouth due to its age.

A label around the bottle, a 12 per cent Schwarzer Tafelwein, features a chilling photograph of the fuhrer himself dressed smartly in suit and tie.

The neck of the bottle has a smaller label of an eagle on top of a swastika - the official national symbol of Nazi Germany.

It was discovered hidden in the back of a garage in France and sold on to an anonymous buyer in Ivybridge, Devon, who has decided to sell in on.

The bottle is now up for auction and set to attract fierce bids at the Plymouth Auction Rooms in Plymouth, Devon, on Saturday.

Auctioneer Paul Keen said the discovery was "extremely rare".

He said: "I have never seen or heard about anything like this in my 20 years as an auctioneer.

"Not only is it unusual, it is also extremely rare to find. It is the sort of thing which should appeal to collectors of Nazi wartime memorabilia.

"These bottles were given out to Hitler's top-ranking officers on his birthday on April 20 each year.

"We understand on his birthday all the generals would be given one of these bottles and this one was handed out in 1943.

"It is very difficult to value because it is so rare. I have no moral issue in selling it on - it is merely an interesting piece from a period of history."

Re: Rare bottle of Nazi FÃԠ’Ô� ’”�Å¡‚¼hrerwein to be sold at auction

hitler-wine_e_fe5346fd8981aadf80d50554c73652e7.gif

Hitler's wine up for auction

Re: Rare bottle of Nazi FÃԠ’Ô� ’”�Å¡‚¼hrerwein to be sold at auction

Rare Hitler wine sells for Ô�Å¡£3,995

A rare bottle of Nazi wine complete with a portrait of Adolf Hitler on the label has sold at auction for Ô�Å¡£3,995.

The bottle was from a collection understood to have been given to Hitler's officers during the Second World War.

The Fuhrerwein dates back to 1943 and has a picture of the dictator on the label dressed in a suit. Because it is so old it is undrinkable.

The lot, which attracted worldwide interest, was expected to fetch only Ô�Å¡£500-800 when it went under the hammer in Plymouth.

The auction ended with the final bid at Ô�Å¡£3,400 but the total is higher after the buyers' premium is added.

A spokeswoman for Plymouth Auction Rooms said bidding for the bottle was "vigorous" in the room and over six telephone lines.

The successful telephone bid came from an unnamed collector.

Before the sale, auctioneer Paul Keen said: "I have never seen or heard about anything like this in my 20 years as an auctioneer.

"Not only is it unusual, it is also extremely rare to find.

"It is the sort of thing which should appeal to collectors of Nazi wartime memorabilia.

"We understand that these bottles were given out to Hitler's top-ranking officers on his birthday."

Back