Protesters rally in effort to halt mudshark's negro lover execution set for Nov. 20

T

TxTiger

Rodney Reed asks for new day in Texas court

Last Update: 3/19 6:36 pm

Story.jpg

Stacey Stites:rip:​

Lawyers for Rodney Reed argued before the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals Wednesday he didn’t get a fair trial when he was convicted in 1998 for the murder of 19-year-old Stacey Stites.

In 1996, she was found strangled on the side of a road on the outskirts of Bastrop.

“We are still hoping and praying that the right decision will be made,"� Sandra Reed told reporters after the hearing.

Defense attorneys hope to have a ruling within the next six months.

Outside the courtroom, the victim’s sister insisted prosecutors have the right man locked up for Stites’ murder.

Story.jpg

“I absolutely believe that Rodney Reed is the man who did this,"� Debra Oliver said.

The defense is hoping the recent arrest of Stites' former boyfriend on an unrelated charge will bolster their chances for a new trial.

Jimmy Fennell, a former Georgetown police sergeant, is accused of raping a woman at gunpoint last October. Fennell was a Giddings police officer at the time of Stites’ murder.

Prosecutors maintained there was insufficient evidence to link Fennell to the crime. Defense attorneys insisted Reed had a consensual sexual relationship with the victim.

http://www.keyetv.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=efdf1773-4388-4392-bfbe-0a624ee18c72

Last edited by a moderator:
Texas judge sets 01/14/15 date to lethally inject murderous groid Rodney Reed

http://www.chron.com/news/texas/article/Texas-judge-sets-execution-date-for-Rodney-Reed-5622153.php

07/15/14

A Texas judge has set an execution date :clap: :Cheers: for a death row inmate convicted of raping and murdering a 19-year-old woman.

Judge Doug Shaver on Monday set Rodney Reed's execution date for 6 p.m. on Jan. 14. Reed is in prison for the 1996 slaying of Bastrop County resident Stacey Stites.

Attorneys for the Innocence Project argued there is more evidence in the case that needs to be DNA tested. :rolleyes: Reed's family claims prosecutors withheld evidence during the trial.
:rolleyes:

622x350.jpg

Rodney Reed

Re: Death Row negro convicted in murder of White woman wants new trial

http://www.keyetv.com/news/features...ution-texas-inmate-death-woman-19-24348.shtml

Court Stays Execution Of Texas Inmate In Death Of Woman, 19

ARA-Rodney-Reed-Feed_24348.jpg

Updated: Monday, February 23 2015, 06:01 PM CST
AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas' top criminal court has stayed the execution of a death row inmate whose attorneys argue he didn't kill a 19-year-old woman nearly two decades ago. The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals issued a stay Monday that halts the March 5 execution of Rodney Reed. Reed was convicted of the 1996 rape and strangling death of Stacey Stiles, a grocery store worker whose body was found off the side of a road in Central Texas. Reed's attorneys argue that another man, police officer Jimmy Fennell, killed Stiles and that forensic evidence suggests she was killed hours before the time jurors were told at Reed's trial. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton's office was reviewing the court's ruling and did not immediately comment.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2002-05-24/93214/

Who Killed Stacey Stites?
A Bastrop County jury convicted Rodney Reed of murder -- but left many questions unanswered

Fri., May 24, 2002

In May of 1998, a Bastrop County jury convicted Bastrop resident Rodney Reed of the murder of a young Giddings woman, Stacey Stites. Stites was murdered in April of 1996, and Reed was arrested a year later, based on a match of his DNA to semen found in Stites' body. On the basis of that DNA match alone, the prosecution argued that Reed had assaulted, raped, sodomized, and strangled Stites -- although there was no other physical evidence connecting Reed to the brutal crime.

What if the potentially more explosive elements of the case -- that Rodney Reed was a black man and Stacey Stites a white woman, and that Stites' fiancé, Jimmy Fennell Jr., was a Giddings police officer -- had in fact worked their separate influence on the investigation and the trial, and perhaps even determined the final outcome?

In their opening statements to the court, Reed's court-appointed lawyers said they could readily explain the DNA found in Stites' body. Initially unknown to Jimmy Fennell, they said, Reed was having a sexual affair with Stites -- a relationship the attorneys argued would be not only scandalous but also dangerous in a small Texas town. "There was interracial dating in this case,"

pols_feature-14742.jpeg

Stacey Stites

pols_feature-14742.jpeg

Sandra Reed, Rodney's mother, says she warned him not to get involved with Stites (from left, Rodney Reed's brothers,

Ryan, Richard, and Ronald; mother Sandra; father Walter; cousin Chris Aldridge; and family supporter Norman Tarver).

http://www.policecrimes.com/forum/v...stalking&sid=4c964084418d3408348cb3c84894fa3c

01___fennel.jpg

https://www.kxan.com/rodney-reed/pr...o-halt-rodney-reeds-execution-set-for-nov-20/

Protesters rally in effort to halt Rodney Reed’s execution set for Nov. 20

rodney-reed-2-21-15_37200040_ver1.0.jpg

Updated: Nov 9, 2019 / 10:16 PM CST

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Protesters rallied at the governor’s mansion on Saturday in an effort to halt the execution of Rodney Reed 11 days before his scheduled date.

This comes after death row exonerees delivered a letter to Gov. Greg Abbott Friday asking him to halt Reed’s execution date of Nov. 20 because of new evidence that has come up related to the decades old case.

Reed was sentenced to death row after he was found guilty of the rape and murder of Stacey Stites. Stites’ body was found dumped on the side of a Bastrop road after she didn’t show up for work one April 1996 morning.

A national civil right’s attorney says the state needs to look at evidence not presented at Rodney Reed’s original trial.

“We know that the belt that was used to kill Stacy Stites is available,” Civil Right’s Attorney Lee Merit said. “It’s in evidence. It has not been tested.”

Merit also says expert testimony has been recanted and that there’s proof of a consensual sexual relationship between Stites and Reed. Some of Stacy’s family members support that.

“My aunt said to me was that Rodney would come into HEB and visit her while she was at work,” Stacy’s cousin Heather Cambell Stobbs said.

KXAN interviewed Stacy’s sister back in March of 2018. It was then that she denied the connection between Rodney and Stacy.

“Stacy didn’t know Rodney. Not at any time were they having an affair,” said Deborah Oliver, Stacy’s sister.

Meanwhile, law enforcement officers from around the county have come forward in support of Reed’s innocence.

“I looked at the autopsy report and I said he didn’t kill this young lady,” Kevin Gannon, Former NYPD Homicide Detective said. “They said how do you know. I said we’ll she’s been dead for 24 hours, but she’s been missing for 12.”

READ: The Rodney Reed Case: Murder in the Lost Pines

A recent jailhouse informant revealed that Jimmy Fennell, Stites’ fiance at the time of her death, allegedly confessed to a fellow prisoner while serving a 10-year sentence for raping a woman that was in custody while he was on duty as a Georgetown Police officer.

This evidence, some argue, should prompt the execution to be halted and for the appropriate parties to review new developments. Celebrities including Kim Kardashian and Beyonce have spoken out on the case as well, asking Gov. Greg Abbott to use his power and intervene.

https://www.change.org/p/office-of-...-exonerate-don-t-execute/psf/promote_or_share

mail

Rodney Reed is innocent :rolleyes:
Over 20 years ago an all-white jury convicted Rodney of raping and murdering Stacey Stites, with whom he had a consensual affair. Rodney has remained in prison in spite of the fact that his original trial was flawed and significant new evidence – including new witnesses – could exonerate him.

In days Rodney could be dead if we do not act.:) Taking less than a minute to share this petition could save Rodney’s life. Click here to add your name to the petition, then you can share it with your social network.
Sign now with a click

Each signature brings hope to the movement to spare Rodney’s life. Because of people like you, Rodney now has a fighting chance at freedom, after decades behind bars for a crime he didn’t commit.

Thank you for being a voice of justice for Rodney and so many other people. You help change lives with your support.

Tiffany McMillan

Petition Starterand set to die in just 13 days.

The clock is ticking for this innocent man. He now relies on the growing number of people who are calling on Texas Governor Greg Abbott to stay his execution. Add your name before it’s too late.

mail

Rodney Reed only has 6 days left to live unless we stop his execution. Can you help him today by contacting Governor Abbott at (512) 463-1762 and sharing why you think it’s wrong for the State of Texas to kill an innocent man?

mail

Not sure what to say? Just speak from the heart and share some facts:

+ I’m calling to let you know that I don’t support the execution of Rodney Reed.

+ Important new evidence has come out since his trial that shows we should slow down and reevaluate the case.

+ This matters to me personally because _________________.

If possible, stay calm and be polite, because I know that we can still change Gov. Abbott’s mind before Wednesday.

With just a week left to save Rodney Reed’s life, I’ll be sending you one action a day. It’s my hope that you’ll join me in standing strong with Rodney. Every single voice counts, and he needs yours. Just showing up for him right now means everything.

mail

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/l...ites/269-83d1b2d1-8db2-412f-aae2-afbda9128e48

Rodney Reed: His fight for a new trial and why prosecutors say he's guilty
More than 20 years have passed since Stacey Stites' body was found in a wooded area in Bastrop, Texas. Did Rodney Reed kill her?

Updated: 1:13 PM CST November 14, 2019

BASTROP, Texas — Since his conviction in 1998 for the rape and murder of 19-year-old Stacey Stites, Rodney Reed has maintained his innocence.

But after nine failed appeals, Reed is scheduled to die by lethal injection on Nov. 20.

Now his lawyers and family are trying to save Reed in the court of public opinion after every attempt in the court of law has failed.

On the morning of April 23, 1996, an H-E-B worker became alarmed when Stacey Stites didn’t show up for her shift.

Stacey Stites was a 1995 graduate of Smithville High School who had recently moved to Giddings, Texas, with her mother and fiancé, a local Giddings police officer named Jimmy Fennell.

She worked at the H-E-B in Bastrop and had recently switched to the early morning produce shift to make extra money for her upcoming May 1996 wedding.

"She'd been working, paying off her dress and doing a little bit each week to make sure this wedding came off OK,” said Carol Stites, Stacey Stites' mother.

8340bfa7-4b1d-4d06-a080-5030c62eda92_750x422.jpg

Stacey Stites was living with Fennell in the unit above her mother’s apartment. Stacey Stites and Fennell shared a truck and would occasionally borrow Carol Stites' car, but it wasn’t very reliable for a longer commute from Giddings to Bastrop in the middle of the night.

Carol Stites said the night before her daughter disappeared, they had discussed the plans for the next day. Stacey Stites had to work, but Fennell did not, so initially, they planned on Fennell driving Stacey Stites to work at 3 a.m. in his truck. But Fennell later told police they had decided in their own apartment, that night, that Stacey Stites would drive the truck to work by herself since Fennell didn’t have to work the next day. He said she went to bed, and he stayed up watching TV before falling asleep.

On the morning of April 23, 1996, Stacey Stites' H-E-B coworker became alarmed when she didn’t show up for her 3:30 a.m. shift. He waited a few hours, and when Stacey Stites still didn’t show up for work, he called Carol Stites to tell her Stacey Stites was missing.

Immediately, Carol Stites yelled up to Fennell through the thin apartment walls to let him know. He came running down the stairs to her apartment, and they called the Giddings Police Department.

That same morning, an officer noticed a truck parked at Bastrop High School. He called it in and discovered it was registered to Fennell. He made a note of the truck but left since there wasn’t anything obviously wrong. He did notice a piece of her braided leather belt sitting nearby.

It wasn’t until mid-afternoon that a person called 911 saying they had found a woman’s body in a wooded area off a rural Bastrop road called Bluebonnet Lane. It was Stacey Stites.

Another woman is attacked, but she survives
Months after Stacey Stites' death, a different 19-year-old was viciously attacked. But she lived to tell the tale.

On Nov. 9, 1996, 19-year-old Austin native Linda Schlueter was visiting friends in Bastrop when she stopped to use a drive-up payphone at the now-closed Long’s Star Mart on Loop 150, also known as Chestnut Street, in Bastrop.

She said she was using the drive-up payphone through her car window when a tall black man approached her, asking for a ride. Initially, she said she refused.

"He was on the phone with somebody else, and he said, ‘She won't give me a ride, I guess I'll just freeze to death.’ And it made me feel bad. I was only 19 at the time,” Schlueter told KVUE.

040d6cd9-c128-4026-9f3b-5c4ded64b520_750x422.jpg

“So, I was like, ‘Where do you live?’ And he said, ‘On Main Street,’ and in my mind, Main Street is this big, lit up road,” Schlueter said. “So, I was like, ‘How far?’ And he said, ‘A mile or two.’”

He got in her car, and she said as she started driving down the street it started to get darker. She said when he pointed down a dark road to turn, she refused and tried to turn the car back around.

She said when he went to get out of the car, he attacked her.

"The next thing I know he has me by the back of my hair slamming my face in my steering wheel,” Schlueter said. “I'm punching backward, and I open the door. I scream so loud that I peed my pants, and I just kept punching."

Schlueter said she kept trying to fight back as he continued to attack her.

"And I asked him, ‘What do you want? What the hell do you want from me?’ And he said, ‘I want a blowjob,’”
said Schlueter. “And I said, ‘You'll have to kill me before you get anything from me.’ And he said, ‘I guess I have to kill you then.’"

Schlueter said he tried to take her in her car, but when she saw other car lights approaching, she jumped out and ran. She said the man took off in her car, and she found help and called 911.

"The cops came, and I identified who it was, exactly what he was wearing, where I picked him up, what time it was,” said Schlueter.

According to prosecutors, earlier in the night, a Bastrop police officer had noticed Reed – a man who had been arrested several times in Bastrop before – hanging around Long’s Star Mart.

When officers got a description of Schlueter’s attacker, they realized he matched the description of Reed that night, including what he was wearing.

Police put one of Reed’s prior mugshots in a photo line-up, and Schlueter picked him out as her attacker.

"I knew immediately who it was. Immediately. I picked him out immediately, no doubt at all,” said Schlueter.

This attack is what would lead police to connect Reed to Stacey Stites' case.

The prosecutors said there were similar MOs. Schlueter’s car was abandoned close to where Fennell’s truck was found in the Bastrop High School parking lot. Additionally, prosecutors think Stacey Stites was likely stopped near the Long’s Star Mart at the train tracks when Reed spotted her.

Stacey Stites took Loop 150 to get from Giddings to Bastrop.

"We believed that Stacey was abducted from that point, from that place, possibly by being stopped by a train,” Tanner said. “We knew that there was a struggle inside of her truck, based on the condition of her truck. Also based on the abrasions that were found on her body that were linear abrasions [likely from a seatbelt] across her shoulder."

fac5a4ff-fc0d-4bce-8fa7-ab57ee4f9148_750x422.png

Connecting the DNA
Investigators test the DNA found on Stacey Stites, and find a match.

Working off the similar MO to Schlueter’s attack, police decided to test the DNA found in Stacey Stites against Reed’s DNA. His DNA was already in the system for a sexual assault charge. Reed has previously been accused of raping a woman with intellectual disabilities in Bastrop in May 1995. Reed had not yet been tried in that case.

For background, this testing all happened before the Combined DNA Index System (CODIS), which blends forensic science and computer technology into a tool for linking violent crimes. Investigators in Stacey Stites’ case had to test DNA individually.

Reed’s DNA was a match.

Oliver, Stacey Stites' sister, remembers the moment they learned about Reed’s DNA.

"They called and said, 'We have a suspect, and we think it's him,'" Oliver said.

Reed, in jail for a separate drug charge, initially denied knowing Stacey Stites. But when he was confronted with the DNA evidence, he changed his story and told investigators they were sleeping together, claiming they had sex several days before she was killed.

Reed said they had kept the relationship a secret because Stacey Stites was engaged.

Investigators weren’t convinced, Tanner said, because no evidence of Stacey Stites having an affair had come up in their nine-month-long investigation into her life.

"All of this talk about Stacey Stites having this clandestine affair with Rodney Reed only came up after he was linked to her by DNA, which we later learned, in looking at the case, was precisely the argument that he made back in the previous case in Wichita Falls,” said Tanner.

b555f519-475e-458e-a475-d078ee6a57af_750x422.jpg

Tanner is referring to a 1987 case in Wichita Falls. Reed was charged with aggravated sexual assault for the rape and beating of a 19-year-old woman there.

The victim – who was also white – said she was coming home and at her door when a man grabbed her, pulled her inside, raped her and hit her. Photos of the victim show her eye swollen shut with a cut near her mouth.
KVUE is not naming her given the nature of the charges.

bd499cd4-38d9-43a9-9fa3-5562cd6cbf28_750x422.jpg

Reed’s DNA was also found inside the Wichita Falls victim, but he claimed the sex was consensual, and that she wanted to hide it because she is white — and he is black.

Reed claimed the victim insulted him after sex, and that is why he hit her.

Her kitchen window was broken, but the prosecution could not prove that Reed entered her home through the window. The jury acquitted Reed in 1991.

As he stands trial for Stacey Stites' murder, Reed's DNA matches two unsolved rape cases
In one case, the rape victim was 12 years old. Another rape happened just months before Stacey Stites was killed.

Once police had a match for Stacey Stites' DNA, they decided to test it against some of the other unsolved rape cases in Bastrop dating back at least 10 years to see if they saw any other matches.

According to prosecutors, Reed’s DNA also matched two unsolved rape cases.

The first case was a 12-year-old who was attacked, raped and sodomized in her Bastrop home while she was sleeping in 1989. The victim said her attacker, a large black man, got upset when she bit his penis when he tried to make her perform oral sex. He then bit her face several times.

The photos taken by Bastrop police show several large bite marks on her face.

9b4d012f-f75a-4f3b-a8e6-d4c2662f409f_750x422.jpg

The second prior case Reed’s DNA matched was a woman who had reported her rape to police just six months before Stacey was killed. KVUE is naming her in this article as she has given public interviews and testified at Reed's sentencing.

Her name is Vivian Harbottle.

She told police that her attacker grabbed her while she was walking on the railroad tracks near Loop 150, also known as Chestnut Street, after leaving a bar late at night in October 1995. It is the same area police believe Reed took Stacey Stites since she took that route to work.

Harbottle told police the man threw her to the ground and raped her, covering her mouth with his hand. She couldn’t identify the man, she said, because it was dark, and she had been drinking. She called police immediately, and they took a DNA sample of the semen found on her body.

The DNA matched Reed’s.

Again, Reed did not go to trial for these attacks because he was already on trial for the capital murder of Stacey.

There are three total sexual assault charges and one aggravated sexual assault charge still pending and active against Reed. The victims include the 12-year-old, Harbottle, a former girlfriend of Reed's and Schlueter — all four testified at Reed's punishment phase of his trial.

"Everybody says he's innocent, and they just don't know the whole story,” said Schlueter, Reed’s last alleged victim.

New testing shows more of Rodney Reed's DNA on and in Stacey Stites
Several years after Rodney Reed's conviction, more DNA testing was conducted.

In 2014, Rodney Reed’s lawyers pushed for more DNA testing, and a judge signed an order to conduct new, more-advanced DNA testing of swabs taken from Stacey Stites’ vaginal and rectal cavities and from her breasts and underwear.

The state also agreed to test extracts from stains found on Stacey Stites' pants and H-E-B work back brace, which had been left in the truck.

The report from the DNA, completed in 2015, showed even more of Rodney Reed’s DNA on Stacey Stites than originally thought during his original trial.

Testing showed Rodney Reed’s DNA in Stacey Stites’ underwear, which is why prosecutors argued she had been raped shortly before her death. It also found Rodney Reed’s DNA on her pants, on her back brace found in Fennell’s truck, on her breasts, in her vagina and in her rectum.

As Rodney Reed maintains his innocence, a wave of supporters demand a reprieve
Celebrities, lawmakers and even the European Union have spoken out, urging Texas' governor to halt Rodney Reed's execution.

From the beginning, Rodney Reed has denied any involvement in Stacey Stites' death. His family has fought by his side the entire time. Texas representatives and senators on both sides of the aisle have urged the governor to grant a reprieve. The European Union has joined the call, and so have celebrities such as Dr. Phil, Kim Kardashian, Beyonce, Rihanna, T.I. and Meek Mill.

"I want to do all that I can do, all that I can do, because I know my brother is innocent,” said Rodney Reed’s brother, Rodrick Reed. “All we're asking people is to just look at the evidence. Look at the truth. If you don't believe Rodney is totally innocent, there's enough out there to cast doubt, and that is enough for a new trial."

A petition to free Rodney Reed has reached millions of signatures.

Rodney Reed’s supporters believe Stacey Stites' fiancé, Fennell, is her true killer. They point to holes in the investigation, such as the fact that police didn’t search Fennell’s apartment that he shared with Stacey Stites. They are also quick to point out Fennell’s arrest 11 years after Stacey Stites' death.

In 2007, Fennell pled guilty to kidnapping and improper sexual activity with a person in his custody while he was an officer with the Georgetown Police Department. He was accused of sexually assaulting a woman involved in a domestic dispute he responded to as an officer.

Fennell served nearly 10 years.

3372e4d0-4244-4049-98e4-e6916bfe21af_750x422.jpg

Fennell and his lawyers have continued to deny any involvement in Stacey Stites' death, noting his DNA wasn’t found anywhere in or around her body at the scene.

According to an affidavit provided by KVUE's partners at the Austin American-Statesman, inmate Arthur Snow Jr., who was serving a sentence for forgery, had a prison yard conversation with Fennell around 2010. The sworn affidavit was submitted on Rodney Reed's behalf in 2019.

“He was talking about his fiancé with a lot of hatred and anger,” the three-page affidavit said. “Jimmy said his fiancé had been sleeping around with a black man behind his back. By the way Jimmy spoke about this experience, I could tell that it deeply angered him.”

Snow said Fennell confidently confessed he “had to kill her” in response.

Several other new witnesses have also come forward supporting Rodney Reed's claim that he was having an affair with Stacey Stites.

The four most recent witnesses include:

Rebecca Peoples, who said she and Stacey Stites would talk when they worked together at H-E-B about how she was afraid of her fiancé, Jimmy Fennell, and that she was "having an affair with a black man."
Richard Derleth, a former Bastrop County Sheriff's deputy, who said H-E-B employees told him in 1996 that they would warn Stacey Stites if her fiancé arrived at the store, allowing her to hide because she feared he would begin arguing with her in public.
Brent and Vicki Sappington, who said Brent’s late father lived directly below the Giddings, Texas, apartment shared by Stacey Stites and Fennell. The father said he often overheard them arguing and believed Fennell was physically abusive.

"We're really just trying to get these witnesses in front of a judge, in front of a jury, and let's sort it all out and let's find out what really happened here before we execute the wrong guy,” said Benjet.

The state said the witnesses are not credible.

However, prosecutors, Stacey Stites' family, and Rodney Reed’s alleged rape victims agree that Rodney Reed is guilty of Stacey Stites' death. And Rodney Reed's additional three sexual assault charges and one aggravated sexual assault charge are still pending in Texas.

BROKEN LINK https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/11/15/after-21-years-on-death-row-texas-grants-stay-of-execution-for-rodney-reed/

GOOD LINK

After 21 Years On Death Row, Texas Grants Stay Of Execution For Rodney Reed
November 15, 2019 at 5:07 pm

LIVINGSTON, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) — Just five days before his scheduled execution, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals and the Texas Parole Board, granted a stay of execution for convicted murderer Rodney Reed.

Reed has been incarcerated for more than 21 years for the 1996 rape and murder of 19-year-old Stacey Stites, according to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

His legal team filed for clemency after new witnesses and evidence came out that would exonerate Reed. The Innocence Project recently stated that Stites’ former fiance, Jimmy Fennell, gave an alleged murder confession to another inmate while serving 10 years for kidnapping and raping another woman.

Last edited by a moderator:

U.S. Supreme Court lets Texas death row inmate Rodney Reed pursue DNA testing in bid to prove innocence​

Reed has long said he was wrongfully convicted for the 1996 murder of Stacey Stites. His lawyers will now be able to renew their legal fight for testing of crucial crime scene evidence.

by Roxanna Asgarian

April 19, 2023
11 AM Central
Rodney Reed is scheduled to be executed next Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2019.

Texas death row inmate Rodney Reed has long maintained his innocence. Credit: YouTube screenshot

The U.S. Supreme Court cleared the way Wednesday for Texas death row inmate Rodney Reed to pursue DNA testing on evidence that his attorneys say may help exonerate him.

Reed, a Black man, was convicted in 1998 of killing Stacey Stites, a white 19-year-old, in Bastrop. Reed has maintained his innocence and has been engaged in a yearslong battle to get crime scene evidence, including the murder weapon, tested for traces of DNA.

“The U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling today is a critical step toward the ultimate goal of getting DNA testing in Rodney Reed’s case,” said Parker Rider-Longmaid, one of Reed’s attorneys. “We are grateful that the Court has kept the courthouse doors open to Mr. Reed, a Black man who has spent 24 years on death row for the murder of a white woman with whom he was having an affair, a crime he has steadfastly maintained he did not commit.”

Reed was set to be executed in November 2019, but the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals stayed the execution and sent his case back to a lower court to review new claims, including that Reed was innocent. But after a 2021 evidentiary hearing, the district judge ruled against granting Reed a new trial.

Reed petitioned the state to test the DNA evidence that he says will exonerate him, but the state argued against that testing, saying that the crime scene items were improperly stored and therefore could be contaminated. In 2014, a district court ruled in favor of the state, and in 2017, the Criminal Court of Appeals affirmed that decision.

The issue the Supreme Court took up was whether Reed waited too long to seek relief in federal court. The statute of limitations for due process claims is two years; the state argued that the clock started after Reed lost at trial in 2014. Reed’s lawyers contended that the clock started after the Criminal Court of Appeals denied Reed’s motion for a rehearing in October 2017. His federal civil rights lawsuit was filed in August 2019.

In an amicus brief in the case, the NAACP argued that a decision to limit the amount of time a prisoner has to bring due process claims would “disproportionately harm Black people and other people of color, who are more likely to be wrongfully convicted and must rely on access to DNA evidence to prove their innocence.”

The high court agreed that the statute of limitations “begins to run when the state litigation ends, in this case when the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals denied Reed’s motion for rehearing.” In a 6-3 decision, Justice Brett Kavanaugh wrote that starting the clock before the state court process was exhausted would encourage plaintiffs to file state and federal suits simultaneously, creating “parallel litigation.”

“We see no good reason for such senseless duplication,” Kavanuagh wrote.

Kavanaugh was joined by Justices Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan, Amy Coney Barrett and Ketanji Brown Jackson. Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch dissented.

Reed’s case will now return to the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which will reconsider his request for DNA testing.

Texas Court of Criminal Appeals rejects Rodney Reed's claim that evidence was suppressed​

Claire Osborn
Austin American-Statesman
June 29, 2023

c588448e-cf60-47b5-842c-436e372bc571-jwj_07192021_Rodney_Reed_0066.jpg

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals on Wednesday rejected Rodney Reed's claim that prosecutors at his 1998 trial illegally suppressed evidence that could have exonerated him in the murder of Stacey Stites.

The court said the testimony of new witnesses in a 2021 evidentiary hearing would not have changed the outcome of Reed's 1998 trial. It also said that prosecutors' cross-examination of witnesses during the trial did not give the jury a false impression and that there had been no new advances in science to disprove the testimony of experts in the trial.

Reed, a death row inmate, was convicted of capital murder in the strangulation death of Stacey Stites and received the death penalty. Stites' body was found by the side of a rural road in Bastrop County on April 23, 1996, with Reed's sperm inside her.

Reed's lawyers said on Wednesday that they plan to pursue "all avenues available."
Rodney Reed has appealed his conviction several times.

“For 23 years, Texas illegally hid evidence that could have exonerated Rodney Reed," said Jane Pucher, one of Reed's attorneys. "He is an innocent man. Texans should be outraged that prosecutorial misconduct is going unchecked, and the state is being given a license to cheat — even if it means sending an innocent man to his death."

Stites' sister, Debra Oliver, said in a statement on Wednesday that she was grateful for the decision by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals. "Rodney Reed is guilty of the rape and murder of my sister Stacey Stites and this has been provne beyond a reasonable doubt," she said. "Reed's defense is only believable is you suspend reality and ignore the overwhelming evidence that he is a serial rapist with no relationship to my sister."

The ruling does not end Reed's bid for freedom, as the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in April that his request for further DNA testing in the Stites murder case could be considered.

More:Supreme Court lets Rodney Reed pursue DNA lawsuit in Stacey Stites murder case

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals made its ruling Wednesday after a state district judge recommended in 2021 that Reed's conviction be upheld. The recommendation was made after an evidentiary hearing that year in which Reed's lawyers had argued that new evidence in the case warranted a new trial.

Pucher said Wednesday that prosecutors at Reed’s 1998 trial "illegally concealed statements from Stacey Stites’ co-workers showing that Mr. Reed and Ms. Stites knew each other and were romantically involved."

"The suppressed evidence was crucial because it demonstrated that the key factual theory of the State’s capital murder case against Mr. Reed — that he had to have kidnapped Ms. Stites because the two were strangers —
was patently false."

Stacey Stites, who worked at an H-E-B in Bastrop, was killed in April 1996.

The Court of Criminal Appeals said in its ruling that the testimony of one of the witnesses at the 2021 evidentiary hearing was "immaterial." Suzan Hugen, a former Bastrop H-E-B employee, had testified in 2021 that Stites had introduced Reed to her as "my very good friend, Rodney," the ruling said. Hugen also said Stites was "giggly and flirty" around Reed.

More:Judge recommends Rodney Reed conviction should stand; appeals court to make later decision

But defense witnesses in Reed's 1998 trial already had talked about the possibility that Stites and Reed knew each other, the ruling said. It said one defense witness in Reed's 1998 trial, Julia Estes, testified that she had seen Stites socializing with Reed inside the H-E-B. Another witness, Iris Lindley, had said that a woman who looked like Stites had come to Reed's house looking for him.

Hugen's testimony that Stites was "flirty" around Reed did not prove she was having an affair with Reed, the ruling said.

"Hugen also testified that she saw hand-shaped bruises on Stacey’s wrists, the implication evidently being that Stacey’s fiancé Jimmy Fennell was abusing her,' the ruling said. An autopsy did not show any bruises on Stites' wrists, the appeals court said.

"Further, hand-shaped bruises would not have alleviated the logistical implausibility of Fennell murdering Stacey, dumping her body in Bastrop, and getting back to Giddings — without the use of his truck — in time for Stacey’s mother Carol to rouse him from his apartment," the ruling said.

"Hugen’s information would not have cast the trial in a different light and does not undermine our confidence in the jury’s verdict," the ruling said. Reed denied knowing Stites when police questioned him, it also said.

Jimmy Fennell, then a Giddings police officer, has denied that he killed Stites.

The appeals court ruling Wednesday said that in Reed's claim that the state gave the jury a false or misleading impression when it cross-examined defense witnesses Estes and Lindley, Reed has “point(ed) to no specific testimony from any witness that actually left the jury with a false impression.”

Reed also claimed that during his 1998 trial that the state’s experts’ opinions regarding time of death, anal penetration, bruise coloration, and sperm longevity had “no basis in the accepted scientific literature," the ruling said. The appeals court disagreed.

"Reed points to no post-trial (let alone post-November 2019) advancements in any of these areas," the court said.

Reed has failed to get his conviction overturned in multiple attempts in federal and state courts, but his appeals have stayed his execution twice.

Last edited:
Was Stacy a "mudshark"?
Thee "news" and thee "innocence project" has been very misleading regarding 19 year old Stacy's relationship with fugly groid Rodney Reed. The only basis for the majority of those claims turned out to come from unreliable witnesses, which even the courts deemed them not credible d/t lack of any real evidence of their claims. Other witnesses imho, may have had a jealous grudge against Ofc Fennell inside prison where Ofc Fennell was held [the Aryan Brotherhood in prison resents and hates cops]. Others assumed Stacy had a consensual sex relationship with Reed because she was, imho, too nice towards a store customer. As brainwashed young women are too often seen acting/talking with gushing approval for blacks in public spaces, in this case, at her job at HEB store.

Readers would learn there was no relationship between Stacy and Reed, if they were to read the court files.

Start at about page 13 then read through page 30 (at least)
Rodney Reed sexually assaulted 6 women, one of the 6 was a 12 year old girl.

No, Stacy was NOT a mudshark. She had stars of the future in her eyes.

Arthur Snow Jr.

NOT CREDIBLE​

Fennell's lawyer addresses recent affidavit in Rodney Reed case​

By Shannon Ryan

Published October 31, 2019

Fennell’s lawyer addresses recent affidavit in Rodney Reed case​

A Hays County Jail inmate has come forward claiming Jimmy Fennell confessed to killing his then-fiance Stacey Stites in 1996. In the early stages of the investigation, police considered Fennell a prime suspect, but ultimately Rodney Reed was convicted.

AUSTIN, Texas - A former murder suspect has found himself back in the spotlight.

A Hays County Jail inmate has come forward claiming Jimmy Fennell confessed to killing his then-fiance Stacey Stites in 1996. In the early stages of the investigation, police considered Fennell a prime suspect, but ultimately Rodney Reed was convicted.

He is slated to die for the crime by lethal injection on November 20. Reed has always maintained his innocence.

Arthur Snow Jr. is a white supremacist who admits he has “been in and out of prisons and jails for much of [his] life.” He and Fennell served time together in the Stevenson Unit.

Fennell, an ex-cop, served ten years in the Stevenson Unit in Cuero, Texas, for sexually assaulting a woman in his custody. He was released in 2018.

In an affidavit, Snow, says he was a high ranking member of the Stevenson Unit’s Aryan Brotherhood gang, and that Fennell sought protection from the gang “around 2010.” This agreement continued until word spread that Fennell “was a cop, and... a rapist.” Then, he says the Aryan Brotherhood could no longer protect him.

He claims Fennell then accused the Aryan Brotherhood of extorting him and as a result, Snow was moved to the Connally Unit, where they “send a lot of gang members.”

Snow says while Fennell was under the gang's protection, he told him his fiance had been sleeping around “with a black man behind his back.” At the end of the conversation, he reportedly stated: “I had to kill my n----- loving fiance.”

“My impression was that Jimmy felt safe, even proud, sharing this information with me because I was a member of the Aryan Brotherhood,” Snow states.

Reed’s semen was found in Stites’ body. Reed has claimed he and Stites were having an affair. During his trial, no witnesses spoke to corroborate this, though a number have come forward recently.

“Where are the photographs, where are the love notes, where are the fingerprints?” pressed Fennell’s attorney, Robert Phillips.

Snow is currently in the Hays County Jail.

“Recently, after having again landed myself in the Hays County Jail, I saw another newspaper article about Rodney Reed. I knew I couldn’t ignore this memory anymore. I decided that I had to come forward and tell someone what I knew.” he said in the affidavit.

“[Snow is] trying his best to lighten his load, I’m sure, at Jimmy’s expense. Not a word of what he says is true based on the evidence,” said Phillips, pointing to a number of sexual assaults Reed was accused but never convicted of. Some of Reed’s accusers spoke at his trial for Stites’ death.

“Prosecutors don’t go forward on un-indicted cases when they already have the death penalty … cause they don’t need to.” Phillips countered.

Snow's testimony does not stand alone. According to Reed’s attorneys with the Innocence Project, least three new witnesses have recently come forward.

An insurance salesperson, who reportedly witnessed Fennell tell Stites “If I ever catch you messing around on me, I will kill you and no one will ever know it was me that killed you.”

Jim Clampit, a former Lee County Sheriff’s deputy says Fennel looked over Stites’ body at the funeral and said “something along the lines of ‘you got what you deserved.’”

Charles Wayne Fletcher, a former colleague of Fennell’s at the Bastrop County Sheriff’s Office, also came forward stating that Fennell told him prior to the killing that he believed “Stacey was f----- a n------.”

A woman who previously worked with Stites at HEB has also spoken publicly, claiming Stites confided in her about the affair. Phillips questions why they have all waited so long.

“The next witness I expect to be called is Mother Theresa back from the grave via epiphany because each one that comes along is more absurd than the last,” said Phillips, who says Fennell is currently working as a missionary.

The case has garnered a lot of attention, being showcased by national media outlets and even compelling stars like Kim Kardashian West to weigh in.

“Lawyers for Mr. Reed are doing what any good lawyers would do in this desperate eleventh hour, they’re trying this case in the court of public opinion because they have failed to get any judge, anywhere to listen to these fanciful claims,” Phillips said.

On Wednesday, Reed's lawyers filed an application for clemency with the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles, the same day the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals denied Reed's appeal.

READ THE FULL AFFIDAVIT BELOW: (Warning: it contains offensive language)

Click to open this PDF in a new window.

Last edited:
In an affidavit, Snow, says he was a high ranking member of the Stevenson Unit’s Aryan Brotherhood gang, and that Fennell sought protection from the gang “around 2010.” This agreement continued until word spread that Fennell “was a cop, and... a rapist.” Then, he says the Aryan Brotherhood could no longer protect him.

He claims Fennell then accused the Aryan Brotherhood of extorting him and as a result, Snow was moved to the Connally Unit, where they “send a lot of gang members.”
ALL THE ABOVE WAS SNOW'S LIES.
Fennell was paying the AB for protection, up until they found out he was a cop/rapist, they hate cops way more than rapists, then throwing him to the rabid color gangs. Snow was after revenge against Fennell, for being sent to the gang unit where he had to start all over to gain new cred inside the gang unit. Also he had to lie to get his credibility back with the AB after the AB gang found out, or else Snow would have become a target of the AB prison gang wherever he was at and be a target of color gangs.

None of the above is true in Snow's case, see pg 41; although it would be likely if Snow was an AB member, however the court had evidence that Snow was never a member of AB. I did not read after around page 30, until today. I based the above on assumptions that he was AB and knowing about how typical gangs operate in prison. Inmates did know Fennell was a cop, he never paid for protection. Snow was transferred to the gang unit because of another case.

Snow was a nasty conniving career criminal, they always lie for their own best outcome, or for revenge. Snow did say he was offered money at one point, by media.

There are many reasons why the court found Snow to not be a credible witness. Court judges know these things about the gang playbook. edit: While that is true, Snow and majority of the new witnesses popped up 18 to 25 years after the murder, majority "spoke up" after watching the Dr. Phil show amid claims that Reed was innocent. There is mention that one person was offered $20,000 to go on the show as a witness.
edited 12/30/2023

Last edited:
Back