Philadelphia City Councilman Kenyatta Johnson Under Investigation

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2...ncilman-kenyatta-johnson-under-investigation/

Philadelphia City Councilman Kenyatta Johnson Under Investigation
By CBS3 Staff
September 19, 2019 at 10:16 pm

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Philadelphia City Councilman Kenyatta Johnson is under investigation and it’s costing taxpayers. KYW Newsradio reports the city is paying Johnson’s legal bills.

He’s being represented by Fox Rothschild.

It’s not clear just how much the legal services cost but it could be as much as $225 an hour.

No one, including Johnson, is commenting on why he’s being investigated.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2...ays-hes-bracing-for-possible-federal-charges/

Philadelphia City Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson Says He’s Bracing For Possible Federal Charges
By CBS3 Staff
January 28, 2020 at 4:37 pm

kenyatta-johnson.png

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Philadelphia City Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson says he is bracing for the possibility that federal prosecutors are going to file charges against him at any moment. Johnson confirms he and his wife have been the target of an ongoing federal investigation.

“First, let me be clear: I am innocent. :rolleyes: I did nothing wrong. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I am the victim of overzealous federal prosecutors who have spent the last five years looking for something to charge me with. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: If charged with any crime, I will be pleading not guilty :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:,” Johnson said in a statement.

Federal prosecutors have declined to comment on the investigation or potential charges.

Johnson’s attorney has not responded to CBS3’s requests for comment.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2...e-to-surrender-on-federal-corruption-charges/

Philadelphia City Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson, Wife Plead Not Guilty To Federal Corruption Charges
By Chanteé Lans
January 31, 2020 at 6:50 pm

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Philadelphia City Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson and his wife, consultant Dawn Chavous, pleaded not guilty to federal corruption charges on Friday. Johnson, who represents South Philadelphia in the city’s Second District, was named in a 22-count indictment alleging a wide-range racketeering conspiracy and related crimes, including bribery, honest services fraud, wire fraud and tax offenses.

Walking hand-in-hand while leaving federal court, Johnson and Chavous both pleaded not guilty to two counts each of honest services wire fraud. The pair surrendered to authorities earlier Friday.

“My position is the same as it was over these last couple of days. I am innocent. I have pleaded not guilty and I look forward to my day in court to exonerate my name,” Johnson said.

Federal prosecutors say the councilman and his wife were part of a years-long pay-to-play corruption scheme.

The pair is accused of allegedly accepting bribes of more than $66,000 from Abdur Islam and Shahied Dawan, two business executives with South Philadelphia-based Universal companies.

Federal prosecutors claim the money was passed through Chavous’ consulting business.

The cash, prosecutors say, was in exchange for official action by the councilman on the zoning of two properties — a lot at 13th and Bainbridge Streets and the old Royal Theater on South Street.

Chavous had very little to say after her arraignment.

“You heard what I said in court so I’m innocent. No comment after that, thank you,” Chavous said.

“As we’ve said all week, we’re gonna fight this case. These charges are not strong charges. They were brought after an investigation that was flawed by prosecutors who were looking to find a crime instead of looking to find the answers,” Johnson’s attorney, Patrick Egan, said.

Bail was set at $15,000, but Johnson and Chavous were not required to post bail and were released on their own recognizance.
Chanteé Lans

Kenyatta Johnson Could Become Second City Councilmember To Be Convicted Of Federal Crime In 2022​

By Howard MonroeMarch 25, 2022 at 12:04 pm

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — The federal corruption trial of Philadelphia city councilmember Kenyatta Johnson resumed Friday morning. Johnson’s wife, Dawn Chavous, is also indicted in the case.
The prosecution is arguing councilman Johnson’s seat was sold in a bribery scheme. They claim Chavous was given a consultant job for Universal Companies in exchange for Johnson’s vote on key projects.
Universal Companies is a nonprofit that develops affordable housing and operates charter schools.
Over the course of her contract, Chavous made nearly $67,000. But prosecutors claim it was a “low show” job that only existed so money could be funneled to Johnson’s accounts.
Johnson’s lawyer argued no bribe was necessary because the councilman supported Universal’s mission for years before Chavous was hired. Chavous’ lawyer said she was hired because of her expertise, not because of her husband.
Johnson and Chavous face two charges of bribery and honest services fraud. They each face 40 years in prison.
Rahim Islam, the CEO of Universal Companies, and Shahied Dawan, the organization’s chief financial officer, face 20 additional counts. They include racketeering, conspiracy, tax evasion, and wire fraud charges.
Prosecutors claim they stole $500,000 from Universal in the form of bonuses and personal reimbursements. Their lawyers said they wouldn’t steal from an organization they helped build. They each face about 300 years in prison.
While a lot of this case is inside baseball, the bottom line is that by the end of it, Philadelphia could have two city council members convicted of federal crimes in 2022.
Former councilman Bobby Henon was convicted earlier this year. Johnson and Chavous’ trial is expected to last for about three weeks.

Prosecution Rests Case In Federal Bribery Trial Of Philadelphia Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson, Wife Dawn Chavous​

By CBS3 StaffApril 6, 2022 at 4:35 pm

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — The prosecution rested its case in the federal bribery trial of Philadelphia Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson and his wife Dawn Chavous. Now, it’s the defense’s turn.
The defense on Wednesday asked the judge to acquit Johnson and Chavous, saying the prosecution failed to prove its case during nearly 10 days of testimony.

The government alleges Johnson and Chavous misused grant funds.
If convicted, they could face up to 40 years in prison.

Closing Arguments Wrap Up In Federal Bribery Trial Of Philadelphia City Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson​

By Howard MonroeApril 12, 2022 at 5:57 pm

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Closing arguments have wrapped up in Philadelphia City Councilman Kenyatta Johnson’s federal bribery case.
Much of the trial has been centered on the Royal Theater Project on South Street. The building has since been renovated into a restaurant and market-rate apartments and townhouses. But less than 10 years ago it sat dormant and blighted.
Universal Companies wanted to redevelop the site into affordable housing.
Federal prosecutors are claiming Rahim Islam, the CEO of Universal, and Shahied Dawan, the nonprofit’s chief financial officer, set up an elaborate bribery scheme to get the project off the ground.
To do so, prosecutors claim they enlisted Johnson and his wife Dawn Chavous.
Chavous was hired by Universal as a consultant and was paid nearly $67,000. But prosecutors say the job was a veiled bribe to Johnson to get the project rezoned.
Johnson’s lawyer says there was no bribe because he supported Universal in the past. Chavous’ lawyer said she was hired because of her expertise, not because of her husband.
Johnson and Chavous are facing two counts of honest services fraud and could face 40 years in prison.
Islam and Dawan are facing additional corruption charges including stealing nearly a half-million dollars from Universal in unauthorized bonuses and expense reimbursements. They each face 300 years in prison.
If Johnson is found guilty he will be the second city councilman to be convicted of federal crimes this year.

Mistrial Declared In Federal Bribery Trial Of Philadelphia City Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson​

By Howard MonroeApril 19, 2022 at 5:41 pm

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A mistrial has been declared in Philadelphia City Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson’s federal bribery case. The jury remained deadlocked Tuesday after four days of deliberations and could not reach a verdict.
All Tuesday the jury had been asking both sides to see different exhibits. During the trial, the prosecution alone presented over 300 exhibits.
The jury had come back to the judge twice telling him they are having issues reaching a verdict.
On Tuesday morning, the judge gave them a so-called Allen charge, encouraging them to keep working.
The jury heard testimony for over three weeks.
Prosecutors allege Johnson accepted bribes disguised through a consulting contract with his wife, Dawn Chavous. The contract was with developer Universal Companies.
The nonprofit was trying to redevelop the Royal Theater on South Street. Chavous was paid $67,000, but prosecutors say it was a veiled bribe to secure Johnson’s vote to rezone the property.
Regardless of what happens in this trial, this same jury will also hear the next trial for Universal’s CEO, Rahim Islam, and Chief Financial Officer Shahied Dawan. They’re also facing theft and embezzlement charges.

Federal Prosecutors Plan To Retry City Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson, Wife Dawn Chavous After Mistrial Declared In Bribery Case​

By CBS3 StaffApril 20, 2022 at 1:04 pm

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Philadelphia city councilmember Kenyatta Johnson returned to work Wednesday after a mistrial was declared in the federal bribery case against Johnson and his wife, Dawn Chavous. On Tuesday, the two walked out of the federal courthouse after the jury was deadlocked. Prosecutors claim Johnson accepted bribes disguised through a consulting contract with his wife.
Developer Universal Companies, a nonprofit, was trying to redevelop the Royal Theater on South Street.
Chavous was paid $67,000.
Prosecutors said it was a veiled bribe to secure Johnson’s vote to rezone the property. Johnson, meanwhile, says he’s ready to move forward.
“First and foremost I just want to thank my lord and savior Jesus Christ,” Johnson said. “I want to thank my family, friends, and supporters for praying for us and showing us support during this very stressful time.”
Johnson’s attorneys say there was a lack of evidence. Federal prosecutors say they plan to re-try the couple.

Jury selection underway for retrial of City Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson, wife Dawn Chavous​

philadelphia
By CBS3 Staff

September 28, 2022 / 12:51 PM / CBS Philadelphia

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- Jury selection is underway for the retrial of city councilmember Kenyatta Johnson and his wife, Dawn Chavous. The couple walked into the federal courthouse Wednesday morning.

Prosecutors allege Johnson accepted about $67,000 in bribes from two executives of the nonprofit Universal Companies disguised through a consulting contract with Chavous.

Johnson denies it was a bribe.

Chavous' attorney has said she was hired for her expertise.

A jury deadlocked in April after four days of deliberations.

Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson acquitted in bribery trial​

philadelphia
By CBS3 Staff

Updated on: November 2, 2022 / 4:59 PM / CBS Philadelphia

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- A jury acquitted Philadelphia City Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson on Wednesday in his federal bribery trial. Johnson was accused of selling his office to two nonprofit executives through a no-show job with minimal work for his wife.
The verdict comes after four days of deliberations.
Earlier Wednesday, the judge replaced a juror with an alternate.
No explanation was given to those in the courtroom for the move.
Johnson spoke to reporters shortly after the verdict.

"I want to most importantly thank all of my supporters and my constituents for their prayers and their e-mails and them showing up to court and believing in us," Johnson said. "I'm looking forward to getting back to addressing the issue of gun violence in Philadelphia and most importantly, representing my constituents."
Johnson had faced a retrial after a previous jury was unable to reach a unanimous verdict.

Back