Obama administration relents, releases full Orlando 911 transcripts

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
http://nypost.com/2016/06/20/fbi-doj-release-full-transcript-of-orlando-shooters-911-call/

Obama administration relents, releases full Orlando 911 transcripts
By David K. Li
June 20, 2016 | 3:57pm

After nearly 24 hours of criticism of its decision to redact mentions of radical Islamic terrorists and ISIS from transcripts of Orlando mass killer Omar Mateen’s 911 calls :mad:, the Obama administration on Monday afternoon relented and released uncensored versions of those same transcripts.

Even though authorities have made no secret that Mateen invoked ISIS as his motive for slaughtering 49 people inside a gay nightclub in Orlando last week, 911 transcripts initially released by the FBI on Monday morning awkwardly worked around mentioning the terror group.

But after House Speaker Paul Ryan and other lawmakers mocked the needless redaction, the Department of Justice caved in and reversed its decision.

Mateen claimed he was under God’s order to kill people at Pulse nightclub in the early hours of June 12. He also dropped the name of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, both of which were blanked out of the earlier versions.

“In the name of God the merciful, the beneficent (in Arabic),” Mateen said during his call at about 2:35 a.m.

“Praise be to God, and prayers as well as peace be upon the prophet of (Arabic). I let you know, I’m in Orlando and I did the shootings.”

The operator asked Mateen his name.

“My name is I pledge of allegiance to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi of the Islamic State,” Mateen responded.

Asked his name one more time, Mateen replied: “I pledge allegiance to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, may God protect him (Arabic), on behalf of the Islamic State.”

Ryan and other lawmakers couldn’t grasp the motive for ignoring the obvious ISIS connection.

“Selectively editing this transcript is preposterous,” Ryan said in a statement Monday. “We know the shooter was a radical Islamist extremist inspired by ISIS. We also know he intentionally targeted the LGBT community.”

Ryan called on the Obama administration and he got his way hours later.

“The administration should release the full, unredacted transcript so the public is clear-eyed about who did this, and why,” Ryan said.

Florida Gov. Rick Scott said Monday he also couldn’t understand why the feds were tiptoeing around such obvious facts of the case.

“This seems like it is another example of not focusing on the evil here. This is evil. It’s ISIS. It’s radical Islam,” Scott told Fox News Channel.

nightclub_shooting_florida-12.jpg

Lying FBI Agent Ron Hopper
Photo: AP

FBI Agent Ron Hopper, lying to reporters in Orlando, said the feds had good reason to avoid mentions of the terror group.

“We’re not going to propagate violent rhetoric that comes from other people whether they be here or overseas and to do that would only inflame other people here that might be like-minded,” Hopper said. “There’s no purpose in doing that.” :rolleyes:

As Mateen carried out his carnage in Orlando, the homegrown terrorist told a 911 operator that he was acting “in the name of God,” and warned that in the next few days, officials would see “more of this type of action,” according to transcripts.

After shots were first fired at 2:02 a.m. June 12, Mateen called 911 at about 2:35 a.m.

Hostage negotiators called Mateen at 2:48 a.m., 3:03 a.m. and 3:24 a.m., the FBI said.

During these calls, Mateen demanded that American forces leave Iraq and Syria, explaining that was why he was “out here right now.”

SEE ALSO

Orlando gunman texted wife during massacre

Orlando gunman texted wife during massacre

When a negotiator asked what he had done, Mateen responded: “No, you already know what I did.”

Mateen appeared to threaten that he had placed bombs in his car outside, which he could detonate at any time.

“There is some vehicle outside that has some bombs, just to let you know,” he said. “You people are gonna get it, and I’m gonna ignite it if they try to do something stupid.”

And Mateen later added: “In the next few days, you’re going to see more of this type of action going on.” He then hung up “and multiple attempts to get in touch with him were unsuccessful,” the feds said.

Mateen’s car was later found and there were no bombs in it, according to the feds.

FBI agents said they haven’t found any connections between Mateen and overseas terrorists.

Back