NYPD probing two overnight home invasions in Brooklyn, Queens​

By
Dean Balsamini,
Georgia Worrell and
Khristina Narizhnaya

March 25, 2023 1:34pm
Updated

NYPICHPDPICT000008761382.jpg
Four men in black face masks stormed into the Queens home. Kevin C. Downs for NY Post

A group of gun-toting thugs stormed into a Brooklyn home before dawn Saturday, stealing thousands in cash and leaving the residents bloodied — as cops are probing if the same suspects may have struck in Queens just a few hours later.
Five gunmen in ski masks forced their way through the ground floor window of a three-story Wogan Terrace home in Fort Hamilton, yelling, “Where’s the f–king money?” frightened residents told The Post.
The suspects kicked down doors, rummaged through every room, and beat at least one man.
At least 15 people live in the house — three in the basement, six on the ground floor and six on the top floor.
“I couldn’t see because of all the blood,” said Ruben Dario Cardenas Chillpe, 31, from Ecuador, who lives in the basement.
“One of them kept punching me in the face while the other one pointed the gun at me.”
Another resident, a mom who lives on the ground floor, said the violent thieves stole their rent money.

Ruben Dario Cardenas ChillpeRuben Dario Cardenas Chillpe was attacked by burglars in his Brooklyn home. Stephen Yang Cop at the crime sceneThe two home invasion robberies unfolded within three hours of each other, authorities said. Kevin C. Downs for NY Post
“I’m so scared. I don’t want to live here anymore,” she told The Post.

“They took all of our money we had saved for rent this month,” she added. “I don’t know what we’re going to do.”

About $6,00 in cash and at least $2,450 in jewelry was stolen, police said.

Christian Rodriguez, 20, who lives on the top floor said the brutal bandits, who all carried walkie-talkies, made off with his safe with the cash in it as well as a cherished bracelet from his 15-year-old nephew — which was swiped right off his wrist.

A row house shared by two families and a few single men were robbed by a group of 4-5 men with guns in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. The suspects kicked down doors, rummaged through every room, and beat at least one man.Stephen Yang
“Having a gun pointed at my head and another one pointing one at me — having two guns pointing at me — was very scary. I never want to live that again.”

About two hours later just before 6:30 a.m. in Springfield Gardens, Queens, four men in black face masks — and one in a beige tracksuit — stormed into a home on 222nd Street, near 145th Avenue, the NYPD said.

The NYPD’s Emergency Services Unit was called in to investigate a “drug lab” found at the scene, said police, who closed off the quiet Queens block as they investigated, leaving neighbors shaken.

A family with young kids lives in the home, locals said.

Fort Hamilton, BrooklynHome invaders made off with $3,500 during an incident in Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn, police said.Citizen The Erazo family in their living room.Five gunmen in ski masks forced their way through the ground floor window of a three-story Wogan Terrace home in Fort Hamilton.Stephen Yang
“They always have their kids outside, their dog outside playing. I would never suspect that,” said neighbor Decemberlyn Thomas, adding that word of a possible drug lab was “very shocking because there are very small young children in the house, she is a very family-oriented lady.”

“It’s really quiet on this block, it’s really not an active block. They’re really nice people, they stay to themselves, pretty much,” said neighbor Cora Dorden, 45.

145-26 222nd St.Home invasion Robbery and Drug Lab Found in Home.The NYPD’s Emergency Services Unit was called in to investigate a “drug lab” found at the scene, said police.Kevin C. Downs for NY Post
However, the woman wasn’t surprised at the drug lab allegation, noting she’d seen plenty of late night activity at the home.

“Wow, I believe it. There is always a lot of men in the house, going in and out, on the side [of the house] or the basement entrance. In and out,” she said, adding, “Normal, you know, sweats and sneakers. I thought it was friends of family… I didn’t think anything of it, not like that.

“That’s frightening, especially being that we live across the street,” she said.

No arrests had been made as of Saturday evening and authorities have not confirmed if the two home invasions were connected.

“Both the incidents are under active investigation,” an NYPD spokesperson told The Post.

Back