The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

NYC teens on way to school save brother, 10, from kidnapping on subway: cops​

By
Katherine Donlevy and

Joe Marino

November 23, 2022 6:49pm
Updated

Two teenagers saved their little brother from being kidnapped by a creep on a Midtown train Wednesday morning, police said.
The siblings — a 16-year-old girl, a 15-year-old boy and their 10-year-old brother — were taking the southbound No. 2 train from the Bronx to their Brooklyn schools when a stranger tried to nab the youngest, police said.
A man got into the sams subway car at the 149th Street subway station around 8:15 a.m. and the daughter immediately clocked him as “creepy,” the kids’ mother, who asked for her name to be withheld, told The Post.
The man who tried to nab a boy on the train.The boy’s siblings intervened and the man fled the station.DCPI
The stranger sat down near the 10-year-old, who was sleeping, the mother said.
Then, he “tugged” on the boy’s pants and grabbed his legs in an attempt to carry him off the train as it pulled into the 34th Street station, the NYPD said.
“Get off. This is our stop,” the stranger told the sleeping victim as the daughter told the man to leave her brother alone.
The teenagers immediately intervened and struggled with the man to free their brother. The 15-year-old grabbed his brother and yanked him back into the car as the man took off at the 34th Street station. He was last seen entering Penn Station, cops said.
The man who tried to nab a boy on the train.The stranger grabbed the boy by the legs and tried to take him out of the subway car, according to police.DCPI
None of the other riders intervened to stop the attempted kidnapping, the children’s mother said.
Now, she doesn’t know how she feels about letting her kids ride the subways without supervision.
“I don’t know. I’m a mom. I try to juggle life … I managed to take care of my children the best that I know how,” she said choking back tears.

“I thought at the age of 16, 15 and 10 they were mature enough to travel alone, but clearly not. I don’t know how this is gonna work but I’ll figure it out because my kids’ safety comes first.”

None of the children were injured in the tussle, police said.

Back