NJ sheboon, driller welcome twin orange, corkscrew-haired monstrosities on separate days and years over New Year’s: ‘Like they had a birfday party’

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

NJ couple welcomes twin boys on separate days and years over New Year’s: ‘Like they had a birthday party’​

By
Social Links for Patrick Reilly

Published Jan. 2, 2024, 9:39 p.m. ET

A New Jersey couple welcomed healthy twin boys born on different days and different years before and after the stroke of midnight on New Year’s.
Proud mom Eve Humphrey, of Merchantville, gave birth to Ezra and Ezekiel Humphrey at Virtua Voorhees Hospital in Voorhees less than an hour apart on Dec. 31, 2023, and Jan. 1, 2024, respectively.
The boys’ father, Billy Humphrey, who turned 36 on Sunday, told “Good Morning America” that it was a birthday to remember.
“I was very excited [about] the potential of having my boys on my birthday,” the father said.
“We went in that day and I wasn’t quite sure if they’re going to come today or not, but having one of them at least on my birthday was a huge blessing and a gift.”
Ezra and Ezekiel Humphrey were born on Dec. 31, 2023, and Jan. 1, 2024. 3
Ezra and Ezekiel Humphrey were born on Dec. 31, 2023, and Jan. 1, 2024. Fox 29
Eve, a 34-year-old biology professor, had gone to the hospital on Saturday but was sent home after an apparent false alarm. She returned the next day when her water broke and she went into labor Sunday night.
Ezra, weighing in at 6 pounds, was born just before the new year at 11:48 p.m. on Dec. 31, while his fraternal twin brother Ezekial, at 4 pounds, 15 ounces, came 40 minutes and a whole year later at 12:28 a.m. on Jan. 1.
“It was a good experience. It was cool pushing out a baby while everyone’s counting down and saying ‘Happy New Year’ and, you know, it was like they had a birthday party,” Eve told “GMA.”
Eve Humphrey and Billy Humphrey 3
Eve Humphrey and Billy Humphrey welcomed their second and third sons. Fox 29
“I’m grateful everyone was healthy and things went pretty smoothly,” she continued. “So that’s the best thing you can ask for, especially because they’re a little bit early and everything, that they’re doing fine and I’m fine.”
The twins arrived a few weeks ahead of their Jan. 26 due date. The couple recalled being shocked when they learned that they would be having twins last year.
“It was kind of difficult to take in for a little bit,” Billy, a pastor, told “GMA.” “They’re like, ‘We’re gonna have twins. OK. Alright. What does that mean? What does that look like?’
Eve Humphrey and Billy Humphrey with new babies 3
The parents said both boys are healthy and well after the were born weeks ahead of their due date. Fox 29
“So, it was a lot of information to take in,” he added. “Definitely glad she FaceTimed me. I probably would have thought she was trying to play some prank on me or something.”

The father said the boys are doing “really, really good,” and were hoping to leave the hospital in time to introduce them to their older brother Hezekiah, who will turn 3 on Jan. 3.

“[I’m] looking forward to sharing birthdays together and celebrating together and everything that looks like,” he added.

What he’s not looking forward to is the confusion he’s expecting to run into with the boys’ birthdays in the future.

“It feels like paperwork is going to be the most challenging, Billy told Fox 29. “Tell somebody you have twins, and they want to write down the same date. No, they’re born on different days in different years too.”

Back