Niglet shot during tribal skirmish

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter

Five-year-old girl shot in the back in neighborhood feud

A 5-year-old girl fell victim on Monday night to at least two days of shootings involving a feud between neighbors, Shreveport police said. And neighbors say they are expecting the violence to continue.

The girl, Tominesha Johnson, was undergoing surgery at LSU Hospital in Shreveport late Monday, according to her grandmother, Brenda Johnson.

Meanwhile, police scoured the 1400 and 1500 blocks of Clanton Street finding evidence in the form of bullet casings from multiple weapon
, blown-out car windows, bullet holes in the walls of homes and Tominesha's blood in the back room of 1501 Clanton St.

Police confirmed three men were shot late Sunday night, but none had life

-threatening injuries, spokesman Sgt. Jim Taliaferro said
. No arrests have been made in any of the shootings.

The explosive, common sound of gunfire on Clanton Street was replaced by the mournful, angry wail of family members after the 8:35 p.m. shooting and the smell of garbage set to the curb for a Tuesday morning pickup intermixed with the dizzying effect of the twirling lights from at least 10 police cruisers.

"My grandbaby was bleeding and I don't know what happened after that," said 67-year-old Cleola Johnson, Tominesha's great-grandmother.

Quinita Williams, 19, was on the front porch when bullets from rifles and handguns aimed from the 1400 block of Clanton Street came crashing into the house. Williams said everybody who stays at the h
ouse where the girl was shot knows to run to the back room of the house when the shooting starts.

But this time, the shooters ran around to the back and opened fire into where the family was
hid
ing, Williams said.

"And after that little girl got shot, they was still shoo
ting," she said. She said later that she expected the shootings would continue.

Police say they have received little cooperation from people who are living with the violence. It is not clear what the dispute is about between the neighbors, Taliaferro said, but it has been going on for some time.

"This has been going on the last two nights," Sgt. Jonathan Reich said, holding a shotgun with an orange pump action high in the air.

Police had already responded to a call of shots fired at 4:31 p.m., but no one had been hit then.

"This has been going on for two days," Keyanna Sessions, 23, of the 1400 block of Clanton Street. "They (the police) been down here four
times. I don't understand why they didn't do nothing. How do they not arrest anyone?"

With one arm holding up her head, Cleola Johnson sat in front of her home with
its shot
-up windows and bullet holes in the paint.

"I just hope my little granddaughter be all right," she said.

For the love of
God and country, wake up America and smell the negro!

T.N.B.

Police Arrest 3 in Shooting of Girl, 5

Shreveport police have made three arrests in connection with the Monday night shooting of a 5-year-old girl.

Edward Lattin, 19, Antonio Lattin, 18, and Frankie Johnson, 39, all face attempted first degree murder charges.

They're accused of ambushing a home in the 1500 block of Clanton Street-- the result of what police describe as ongoing trouble between the home's residents and a group of neighbors.

Tommieszur Johnson, 5, and her family were inside at the time, attempting to dodge the onslaught of b
llets. Everyone but the child escaped harm.

"When she came out, she was like, 'Mama!' When I did look at her, I just seen the blood on her back," said Ola Johnson, Tommies

zur's mother

Johnson said one of the bullets pierced the kin
dergartener's back, causing internal injuries.

"That bullet was an inch away from hitting her main artery."

Tommieszur underwent surgery Tuesday morning and is in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at LSU Health Sciences Center.

Even with the arrests that police made, though, the victim's relatives criticize them for not doing enough.

"When this first started, we called the police. The police hung up in our face," said Debra Washington, a cousin.

Relatives said they suspected trouble was brewing hours before the actual shooting and placed several calls to 911, but police never responded. They said they believe they were ignored, because of bad blood with
officers.

Earlier this month, the family complained of police brutality during the arrest of a relative. However, they have yet to file a formal affidavit with the police department&#
39;s
Internal Affairs Division.

Sgt. Jim Taliaferro, a police department spokesman, said policy calls for responding t
o all 911 calls.

"We don't have the authority to say, 'I'm just not going on that 911 call,' regardless of whether we've been out there 100 times or one time."

Still, Taliaferro said, the allegations will be investigated.

"Those calls are gonna be looked at. We're gonna pull the audio tapes to make sure the actual calls did come in."

Police will also keep a close watch on the neighborhood to make sure the anger of enemies doesn't leave anymore innocent victims hurting.

They said they've responded to several calls of gunfire in the area lately. In fact, one of the men they arrested, Edward Lattin
, was, himself, wounded in a shooting Sunday.

Wouldn't these niggers make lovely neighbors and classmates for your white children?

T.N.B.

This heah fambly of Johnson coons am sho' nuff' negroes of distinction!

Family Claims Police Abuse

T.N.B.

In a related story:

Citing Danger, Postal Service Suspends Deliveries to Part of Shreveport

The U.S. Postal Service Tuesday took the rare step of suspending mail delivery because of fear carriers could be putting their lives in danger. Residents in 28 homes along the Clanton Street in Shreveport must now travel to their post office to get their mail.

The move came after a postal carrier reportedly had to duck behind a tree to avoid getting shot around 4:30pm Monday. "He heard gunfire and ducked down behind a tree and s
ayed there until it was over with," said Postal Service spokesman Lavelle Pepper.

Hours after that incident, a 5-year-old girl watching television in her bedroom

, was shot by a bullet that came through her window. Since Sunday, Shreveport pol
ice have responded to at least three calls of shots being fired along Clanton Street. Police say the gunfire involves an ongoing feud between two groups of people who live in the area.

Weedy Green, who lives along the part of Clanton Street where mail service has been suspended, says he doesn't blame his mailman for not wanting to deliver in that area. "He fears for his life, just like I fear for my children's life," Green said. During gunfire Sunday night, Green says a bullet went through a wall of his home and another bullet narrowly missed hitting his 12-year-old daughter. Two shots also went through his mailbox, at the edge of his front porch. The white mailbox now has t
wo obvious holes from gunshots.

The postal service says it hopes the mail suspension will only last a few days. Pepper says the postal service will consult with Shreveport Police about when
it
might be safest to resume service. "We deliver to the good and the bad and I'm sure most of the peo
ple out there are good people, but sometimes bad things happen and this was one of them," Pepper said.

Green says his mailbox, bullet holes and all, is staying right where it is. But he and his family are moving. They hope to be in a new home by the end of the week. A home he hopes is safer. And, a home where the postman delivers.

The post office just woke up and smelled the negro, now it's your turn America!

T.N.B.

"Neither rain nor snow, etc, shall keep postmen from their appointed rounds"

However, TNB sure can keep them from coming around!! This article is classic!
I wonder when was the last time the mail was withheld from a white neighborhood????

Gman

More fed hypocrisy! THEY can get away with staying safe by staying out of savage territory--how nice! What happens if a taxi driver or pizza delivery guy (victims waiting to be assaulted) refuse to enter these malodorous underworlds. Well, stuff like fed sponsored lawsuits and diversity claptrap from joob*tch editors. It's enough to make you go postal! :(

This story has all the earmarks (goldtoofmarks) for being the TNB story of the year.

T.N.B.

5-year-old recovers from gun shot wound

The guns on Clanton Street fell silent Tuesday after two days of violence between two Shreveport families put a 5-year-old girl in the hospital Monday, police said.

Police increased patrols and made three arrests and the U.S. Postal Service stopped delivering mail to the area Tuesday, a day after Tommiezure Johnson was shot in a back room of the Johnsons' residence in the 1500 block of Clanton during a feud with the Lattins of the 1400 block of the same street.

Police booked Shreveporters Edward Lattin, 18
Frankie Johnson, 39, (no relation to Tommiezure) and Antonio Lattin, 19, into Caddo Correctional Center each on one count of attempted first-degree murder.

And Tommiezure was listed in

good condition at LSU Hospital in Shreveport a
fter surgeons worked on her deep into Monday night, a hospital spokesman said. Three men were shot Sunday night; none had life-threatening injures.

But Latonya Johnson expects the violence to continue because she said her family received a threatening telephone call Tuesday morning.

Five puppies roamed the Johnsons' dirt front yard, decorated with empty beer cans and bottles, Tuesday. In the house, babies crawled in the living room as Latonya Johnson, 27, pointed to the stains Tommiezure's blood left on the hardwood floor. Corey Johnson, who lives at the home in the 1500 block and was on the front porch when the shooting started at 8:35 p.m. Monday, showed the hole in the mattress from the bullet that struck
the girl.

"She just said 'Mama' and fell over," said Latonya Johnson, who was in the back bedroom when her niece was shot.

Then the shouting began.
<b
r>Co
rey Johnson remembers hearing women scream that Tommiezure had been shot while he was outside b
ehind a car "balled up" like a baby trying to avoid the bullets. "They said, 'They shot my baby.'"

The latest battle occurred after someone from the Johnson family looked at someone from the Lattin family in the wrong way Sunday, the 14-year-old said.

A fistfight broke out and later a gunbattle which continued on and off until Tommiezure was shot the next day, he said. Authorities said they recovered two guns Monday.

Quinita Williams of the 1500 block of Clanton Street said she was too scared to sleep Monday night after witnessing the hostilities. "I couldn't fall asleep until 3, 4 o'clock in the morning,&quot
; the 19-year-old said, adding that she slept on the same bed the bullet had ripped through and hit Tommiezure.

Neighbors who live on the block did not want to speak to The Times on t
he recor
d.

Shreveport police Sgt. Jim Taliaferro said he can't blame them. "They live in fear. They are prisoners in their own homes."

However, bullet holes
in houses and cars with blown-out windows in neighbors' driveways bear witness to the violence that occurred in this Shreveport neighborhood.

"The situation is being (scrutinized)," Taliaferro said. Police are increasing patrols and visibility in the 1400 and 1500 blocks of Clanton Street, he said.

Police were called to that street 134 times last year, including 85 calls to the Johnsons' residence and most of the remaining calls to the Lattins' residence, Taliaferro said. The calls were for a myriad of incidents including shots fired, fights, domestic violence, 911 hang-up calls, warrants being served,
stabbings, shootings and other physical assaults.

On Sept. 11, a Shreveport police officer was assaulted at the Johnsons' residence as he r
esponded to
a call of disturbance, Taliaferro said. Tommiezure's grandmother Brenda Johnson later filed a complaint against police, which is under investigation by the department's internal affairs unit, he said.

La
tonya Johnson believes police responded slowly to Monday's shooting because of the assault on the officer. She said the response was so slow that Tommiezure's mother grabbed the girl, flagged down a car passing down the street and was driven to LSU Hospital in Shreveport.

Taliaferro said police got the call about the shooting at 8:36 p.m. Monday and were on the scene by 8:41 p.m.

The recent chaos on the block caused the U.S. Postal Service temporarily to stop delivering mail on Clanton Street. "We are concerned for the safety of our empl
oyees," said Lavell Pepper, spokesman for U.S. Postal Service in Shreveport.

A mail carrier was caught in the cross-fire Monday afternoon on Clanton S
treet, Pepper s
aid. "He ducked and got behind a tree (and) didn't see anything. When it was over, he delivered the remainder of his route."

Now all residents on the block must get their mail at the post office at 8340 Mansfield Road between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays,
Pepper said.

Mail delivery to Clanton Street is expected to resume in October, depending on the situation, he said. And the Postal Service is working with police to figure out how to protect mail carriers as they deliver the mail, Pepper said.

Jigs (ugh) what are they good for? Absolutely nothing, say it again!

T.N.B.

All this because someone looked at someone the wrong way?

Evidently this is a case of establishing hierarchy ranking amongst the male apes. The surviving ape will be the alpha-ape who gets to reproduce more of its kind.

I believe this story should be nominated for TNB story of the year , Tyrone. It is filled start to finish with classic TNB. Everytime I hear some dipsh*t stupid white sheeple go on about celebrating diversity and how we are all the same on the inside and etc...... I think of stories like this one and I am reminded of how we are not only not the same but this race of walking fecal skinned hellhounds should not even be allowed to live among us. We are so far above this tribe of criminal primates that I will no longer even debate it with people. I simply refer them to NNN and tell them to check out that site for one week and if they don't see it then, then there is no hope for them anyway!!
#33;

Gman

Originally posted by Gman@Sep 29 2004, 03:15 PM
I believe this story should be nominated for TNB story of the year , Tyrone. It is filled start to finish with classic TNB. Everytime I hear some dipsh*t stupid white sheeple go on about celebrating diversity and how we are all the same on the inside and etc...... I think of stories like this one and I am reminded of how we are not only not the same but this race of walking fecal skinned hellhounds should not even be allowed to live among us. We are so far
bove this tribe of criminal primates that I will no longer even debate it with people. I simply refer them to NNN and tell them to check out that site for one week and if they don't see it then, then th

ere is no hope for them anyway!!!

Gman
This story isn't over yet! I can't wait to read the developments tomorrow. Yes, when you think of TN
B you should think of this story. Even the United States Post Office refuses to deliver mail in this negrotown because it's so niggery. Now that really is a black mark on the face of all niggers.

T.N.B.

Shreveport Police Say Clanton Street is a Police Hot Spot

Shreveport Police say the home where a five-year-old girl was shot Monday night is a police hot-spot. Since the first of this year, officers say they've responded to 85 calls at 1501 Clanton Street. The girl who was shot was in a bedroom there. The bullet came from outside.

Officers on patrol along Clanton Street say there are usually more than a dozen people in and around the home at 1501 Clanton at any given time. The 85 calls to that home this year have ranged from a stabbing, shots fir
d, fights, and disturbances.

The night before Monday's shooting of the little girl, officers spent quite a bit of time at that house. "Sunday night, we had three different ti

mes when shots were fired from that house, down into the 1400 blo
ck of Clanton," said Officer Darrel Miller.

Police say they know there are many good people who live along Clanton street. They're just hoping they can weed out those who are causing problems there. The girl who was shot continues recovering in a local hospital and is listed in good condition.

Police say they know there are many good people who live along Clanton street.

Don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.

T.N.B.

Don't clean it up though !!!!!!!!! Filthy Scumbags thats how they get asthma from breathing roach & rat sh*t !!!!! lazy bastards......... Like the Don From KC said in Godfather I at the sit down " the darker races ,the Colored ;their animals Let them lose their souls!!!" hahahah lol.

Feuding Families Call for Peace, Mail Delivery to Resume

Two feuding Shreveport families are promising to bury the hatchet and end a streak of violence in their neighborhood.
The families live in the 1400- and 1500-blocks of Clanton Street, an area where Shreveport police recently have answered dozens of calls about trouble, including gunfire.
Last week, a stray bullet hit a 5 year old girl.
A letter carrier also narrowly escaped injury, prompting the U. S. Postal service to stop delivering mail to the area.
Now, though, the families say there's no longer reason to fear-- because their feud has ended.
"It's over," said Annternette Lattin. "Ain't no
r
police or nothing been called back out, helping us. "

Last week, police arrested Lattin's two brothers, Edw
ard and Antonio, in connection with the shooting that left Tommieszur Johnson, 5, critically wounded.
But Johnson's grandmother, Cleola, said all is forgiven.
"I believe in the Lord, it's not gonna be no more trouble," said Johnson.
Both Johnson and Lattin told reporters Monday that they represent the views of their entire families. The two women said they elected to speak because "legal issues" prevented other relatives who were more directly involved in the trouble from appearing.
Both also made a plea for the postal service to resume mail delivery.
However, Lavelle Pepper, a postal spokesman, told News 12 t
hat request may be considered "at a later time."

Pepper said he respects what the families are doing, but the postal service is basing what it's
doi
ng on fact.

He also said the postal service is continuing with its plan for centralized delivery, which involves placing cluster mail boxes at each end of Clanton Stree
t.

You niggers might fool the folks at KSLA-TV but you can't fool the Post Office!

T.N.B.

Trying to find peace on Clanton Street

Annternette Lattin took steps Monday to end an ongoing feud between her family and the Johnsons down the street that nearly claimed the life of a 5-year-old girl.

Lattin, who lives in the 1400 block of Clanton Street, walked one block, in the rain, to call a truce with her neighbors.

Last week, a gunbattle erupted between the two families, and nearby car windows, houses and mailboxes became targets of gunshots. For two days, the families took turns shooting at each other until th
night when Tommiezure Johnson was shot in the back while in the back room of a residence in the 1500 block of Clanton.

Police increased patrols and made three arrests and the U.S. Postal Service sto

pped delivering mail in the area. The feuding has ceased,
and it's time for change, Lattin said.

"I just want to say that it's peace on Clanton Street," Lattin said from the porch of the Johnsons' residence, where the child was shot. "It's over now. We want everyone to know that it is fine out here and all that mess is over."

Cleola Johnson, great-grandmother of the child, shook hands with Lattin and welcomed her.

"Annternette called me after all that happened and asked me to forgive them,"Johnson said. "My grandchildren love this girl. She still comes and takes them to buy candy."

Both women called for peace and pleaded for mail delivery to resume in the area. The violence is over, they said.

"I
t's safe around here and I believe that we deserve to have our mail delivered at our houses," Johnson said.

When asked why should the public beli
eve
that the violence has ended, Annternette Lattin said, "They can't do nothing but see that nothing else has happened. All of that is over and we are ready t
o move on."

The Rev. Artis Cash stood up for the families on Monday and said that he has contacted postal service officials about resuming delivery in the area.

"If I don't get a response, I will contact the regional hub to see if we can get this done and get it settled," Cash said.

"It has been reported that this (violence) has been going on for some years. This is not true. It's a situation that got out of hand.

"(Shreveport) went nationwide on a negative level regarding this incident. And negative is not what this city is about. It's obvious there is a financial burden that exists
in this area. I want to get the mail and to bring people's attention to the plight of the poor."

Police were called to Clanton Street 134 times last year, including 85 to th
e Johns
ons' residence and most of the remaining calls to the Lattins' residence.
The calls were for myriad incidents including shots fired, fights, domestic violence, 911 hang-up calls, warrants being served, stabbings, s
hooting and other physical assaults.

There haven't been any calls since Tommiezure was shot, but U.S. Postal officials are going forward with plans to establish centralized delivery sometime this week, said Lavelle Pepper, spokesman for U.S. Postal Service in Shreveport. The boxes will be placed at the beginning of one block and the end of the other, he said.

"We applaud efforts of Dr. Cash and anyone who wants to defuse the situation," said Pepper. "Statistically, it's just not safe out there. We have an obligation to the letter carrier to provide a saf
e working environment. He has friends, family and loved ones, and he deserves a safe place to work without fear of gunfire. We may address this issue again, but in the immediate future
we will de
liver by centralized delivery."

As predicted, first of the month came and the niggers wanted their welfare checks delivered to their front porch.

T.N.B.

Post office to reinstate mail delivery on embattled street

October 7, 2004

Door-to-door mail delivery resumes today in the 1400 and 1500 blocks of Clanton Street in Shreveport, a U.S. Postal Service official said.

"We do reserve the option to readdress this issue if there is further violence," spokesman Lavelle Pepper said. "We hope there is none."

Service to the area was suspended after a mail carrier was caught in the middle of a gunfight between two neighboring families -- the Johnsons of the 1500 block and the Lattins o
the 1400 block -- the afternoon of Sept. 27. Later that evening, a 5-year-old girl was wounded during another gunfight between the neighbors.

Until today, residents of the area had to get their mail

at the post office at 8340 Mansfield Road. Suspending delivery last
week "was not a spur of the moment decision," Pepper said, adding that all the facts of the situation had been reviewed.

Police were called to Clanton Street 134 times last year, including 83 calls to the Johnsons' residence and most of the remaining calls to the Lattins' residence, police have said. The calls were for a myriad of incidents including shots fired, fights, domestic violence, 911 hang-up calls, warrants being served, stabbings, shootings and other physical assaults.

"Delivery is not the issue, the method of delivery is what we (were) considering changing," Pepper said earlier Wednesday. The Postal Service was considering installing cluster mailboxes at the end of each block to prot
ect mail carriers. Residents would have to go there to pick up their mail.

The decision to reinstate door-to-door delivery was made hours after Shreveport officials met with postal offici
als
to discuss the situation. The meeting ended with Police Chief Mike Campbell agreeing to meet with pos
tal officials in private later in the week.

But before that meeting could take place, the post office reinstated delivery.

Mayor Keith Hightower, the Rev. Artis Cash, James Pannell, president of the local chapter of the NAACP, and concerned citizen Herschel Brown also attended Wednesday's meeting, which was open to the media.

The mayor and Cash derided the negative public attention generated by the Postal Service's decision to suspend mail delivery to that part of Clanton Street. The area got national media attention after the post office halted mail delivery of the mail to those blocks -- not because the 5-year-old girl was shot.

"What happened is horrible public
ity to the city," Hightower said. It is "unfortunate" for national publicity of this type, he added.

Hightower hopes to open a line of communication with the Postal Serv
ice to
prevent a similar situation from happening.

"I regret the post office took the action they took" without meeting with city officials first,
the mayor said, adding that he did understand the decision.

After the meeting, Cash said he would not accept cluster boxes as a solution and would appeal if that decision was made.

"(Clanton Street) is one of the most safest individual streets (outside city government plaza) today," he said during the meeting.

Later, Cash said cluster boxes would be unsafe because residents, particularly the elderly, would have to walk to the cluster box, pick up a Social Security check and walk back to their houses, making them vulnerable to being robbed.

When it was pointed out that woul
d imply that area of Clanton Street is unsafe, Cash said, "you could get mugged anywhere." But he assured the city would not see "the type of action you had before (on C
lanton Str
eet)."

Cash was involved in bringing the feuding families on Clanton Street together Monday to demonstrate that the feud is over.

And during the meeting, Cash said the mayor and chief are doing "
a fine job."

Earlier Wednesday, at an editorial board meeting with The Times, the mayor lauded Cash's efforts to resolve the dispute. "One thing I will say about Dr. Cash, like him, don't like him, I think he served the community well the other day by going out there and hopefully ending that deal. We'll see."

Meanwhile, Campbell said police have taken actions to beef up security in the area, including increased patrols. The chief said installing video cameras in that area also is an option.

But having an officer walk the mail route with a carrier is un
realistic because the Police Department is shorthanded, Campbell said. A recent manpower study shows the department is short 56 officers.

Cash also revealed that Frankie
Johnson, 39 o
f Shreveport -- one of the three men charged in the shooting of the 5-year-old girl -- is paid to cut the grass at his church. Johnson and Shreveporters Edward Lattin, 18, and Antonio Lattin, 19, each face one count of attempted first-degree murder in conne
ction with the shooting.

The mayor and Cash derided the negative public attention generated by the Postal Service's decision to suspend mail delivery to that part of Clanton Street. The area got national media attention after the post office halted mail delivery of the mail to those blocks -- not because the 5-year-old girl was shot.

"Wha
t happened is horrible publicity to the city," Hightower said. It is "unfortunate" for national publicity of this type, he added.

Don't blame the media, blame the niggers, they are the apes who caused all the problems.

T.N.B.

Tribal warfare , from spears to guns
:african: :pimp: :niglet:

Postman Calling on Clanton Street Again

The postman has come calling again on Clanton Street.
After more than a week with no door-to-door mail delivery, residents saw their service restored Thursday morning.
"I'm glad to see you. Welcome back to Clanton," called Keyanna Sessions to the passing postman.
Sessions and dozens of her neighbors lost their home delivery last Tuesday after a dispute between two families erupted in gunfire. A five year old girl, caught in the crossfire, suffered a critical gunshot wound. The letter carrier also narrowly avoided
njury.
"We're concerned for our carrier," said Lavelle Pepper, spokesman for the U S. Postal service in Shreveport. "We hope that nothing else happens and we got assurances that i

t will not."
Those assurances, Pepper said, came during a meeting
Wednesday involving the post master, Shreveport police chief Mike Campbell, Mayor Keith Hightower and several community activists. It was the first time all sides sat down to discuss the postal service's fears.
"I think all the parties involved now realize they have to talk to one another," said Rev. Artis Cash, who organized the meeting.
Prior to that gathering, the postal service had planned to install cluster mailboxes at each end of Clanton Street. In fact, the agency had already poured two slabs of cement, costing about $400 each, on which to anchor the boxes. Pepper said, for now, those plans have been shelved for others.
"We'll probab
ly change his line of travel so that we deliver mail here earlier during the day," said Pepper.

During his first day back on the job, the letter carrier seemed to feel safe
r wi
th that schedule change. However, not everyone was as carefree.
"I'm worried about him 'cause I lost my dad earlier this year and I
don't want to lose my husband," said a woman who identified herself only as "Suzanne," the carrier's wife.
The nervous spouse made a "drive-by" on Clanton Street, but the area remained quiet otherwise, while the postman filled mailboxes and the neighborhood with hope again.
Earlier this week, two feuding families, whose fighting had escalated to gunfire, called a truce.
The Shreveport Police Department has also promised to keep a closer watch on the area.

Deliver the mail early while the negroes are still sleeping it off? Too good!

T.N.B.

Taking Back Clanton Street

When the mail stopped on Clanton Street last November after a postal worker was nearly caught amidst gunfire, the story drew national headlines. Tuesday night, when a neighborhood group, organized following the shooting, was honored in a quiet living room there, only two reporters were present. As was a city councilman, who proudly declared that this neighborhood was taking Clanton Street back.

These people understand that they could make the difference, said District B Councilman Monty Walford. And I think they will. I think it's a great success story, and it's what Neighborhood Watch is all about.

For once, a politician's hyperbole seemed to fit the tableau he described ' a living room of people, most of them tired after a lon

g day's work
, eager to get together and talk about their neighborhood's many problems, and how to solve them.

Nobody is going to do anything for us, one woman said. We've got to get up and do it ourselves.

In the wake of November's shooting and subsequent mail stoppage, few people imagined the event would mark the neighborhood's reawakening.

Sharon Marshall did.

We didn't know what would happen, but we had to do something, Marshall said. We called a meeting. And people came. And they keep coming. And the caring that we anticipated did happen. They did start to care.

Neighbors that hadn't spoken to each other since moving in are now interacting with one another, looking out for one another, and that's the name of the game.

In recognition of those efforts, the Shreveport Police Department's Neighborhood Assistance Program recognized the group Tuesday night as an official Neighborhood Watch group.

"t means a lot to have the
c

ity officials support us and recognize what we're doing Marshall said.

Neighborhood Watch signs are being ordered. Although, the folks on Clanton Street know it's going to take more than putting signs along their street to insulate it from its myriad problems: gun violence, loud music and litter among them.

We're taking action, Marshall said. "n two weeks, we're having a neighborhood wide clean-up day.

We're taking action, Marshall said. "n two weeks, we're having a neighborhood wide clean-up day.

Typical nigger train of thought, wait two weeks and clean up nigger town in just one day.

T.N.B

Back