Nigger delays college projects

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter

College panel puts on hold projects lacking minorities

A state College Board committee on Wednesday delayed a handful of projects for 30 days because of the lack of minority professionals involved.

During a Building/Facilities Committee meeting, board member Bob Owens questioned why Delta State University did not recommend appointing minorities to initiate projects.

A College Board goal is to increase the use of minority professionals, contractors and other vendors, according to a diversity statement adopted in January.

DSU's projects include heating, ventilation and air conditioning, street repair and athletic facility renovations. State funds totaling $1.25 million ar
e available for the projects: $650,000 for the athletic facility and
$300,000 each for the others.

"My problem is historically y'all have always used white folks for anything involving money, and that is wrong," Owens said, noting that his point applied to other universities. "I don't want excuses ... I want some answers that you are going to locate black folks to get involved with some of this business."

Billy Morehead, DSU's vice president for finance, said later that the recommended street repair professional is a local engineer who has done a lot of work on campus over the years, the HVAC appointee designed the system and the other appointee agreed to do the athletic project for free.

Morehead said he will research whether there are African-American engineers who can do the projects.

The board's diversity st
atement applies to U.S. citizens or lawful residents who are African American, Hispanic, Asian American, American Indian, Alaskan Native and female.

Frank Alley, the board's assistant commi
ssioner for construction and physical affairs, said he knows of one minority architectural firm and two engineering firms in the state.

"Quite frankly, they're snowed under with work right now," Alley said. "We would be glad to interview them, but we couldn't guarantee that they would get the jobs."

Owens said he wanted the firms to tell the board they couldn't afford any more work. "I get calls every day from them saying they want work and they can't get beyond you," he said, generating laughter.

Yolanda Jones McElroy, marketing director for McElroy, Ward & Associates Architects, told the board the firm would be happy to take on additional work.

"We are not snowed under," said McElroy, <
b>whose husband runs the only black-owned architectural firm in the state.[/b] "We are willing to do more work and we want to do more work."

DSU President John Hilpert said he affirms Owens' position.". . . I appreciate the reminder that you've given us," he
said.

Morehead said he will research whether there are African-American engineers who can do the projects.

Dey am two nigga rig'n companies anna darkyteck talked bout n dis heah article, but I wouldn't hire them to build a dog house or fix a flat tire.

T.N.B.

Back