New Nation Noose News

NJ cops: woman hung nooses near sign for Black candidate​

philadelphia
By Joe Brandt

November 9, 2022 / 3:59 PM / CBS Philadelphia

MIDDLE TOWNSHIP, NJ (CBS) -- Police are looking for a woman who hung rope nooses near campaign materials promoting a Black Congressional candidate Tuesday night.

On Election Night in Cape May Court House, the woman was seen on surveillance video exiting a dark-colored sedan and hanging stuffed dolls from a tree, the Cape May County Prosecutor's Office said in a news release. The nooses were hung above a sign for Tim Alexander, a Black candidate running to represent New Jersey's 2nd Congressional District in the House of Representatives.

The woman who hung the nooses is White, with blond hair. The vehicle seen in surveillance images may be a Buick.

cape-may-1.png
Cape May County Prosecutor's Office
Middle Township mayor Tim Donohue released a statement condemning the incident and described it as a potential hate crime.

"This is not who we are in Middle Township," Donohue said. "We stand united against all forms of racism, hate, threats and intimidation."

Alexander, a Democrat, ran against incumbent Republican Jeff Van Drew in the race. Van Drew was the projected winner with over 60% of the votes as of Wednesday.

Black NJ candidate seeks "accountability" after nooses hung on campaign sign​

philadelphia
By Ryan Hughes

November 10, 2022 / 5:39 PM / CBS Philadelphia

RIO GRANDE, N.J. (CBS) -- A former Black Congressional candidate whose campaign sign was vandalized with rope nooses in Middle Township, New Jersey, called the racist act "disgusting." Tim Alexander spoke with CBS Philadelphia on Thursday after a woman was caught on camera, allegedly hanging stuffed dolls with nooses over one of his campaign signs.

As Alexander emptied out his campaign office in Galloway Township Thursday, the Cape May County Prosecutor's Office is investigating a hate crime that targeted the Democrat who tried to unseat Rep. Jeff Van Drew, a Republican.

"I just thought it was disgusting," Alexander said. "I mean, this kind of encapsulates exactly what I talked about on the campaign trail."

Alexander was running to represent New Jersey's 2nd Congressional District, but on Election Night, investigators say stuffed dolls hanging in rope nooses were found above one of his campaign signs in the Rio Grande section of Middle Township.

"We can't express our dislike for a candidate without going to the most extreme measures," Alexander said.

Investigators are now reviewing surveillance video they claim shows a woman getting out of a dark-colored car and hanging the stuffed dolls from a tree.

middle-township-hate-crime.jpg

"Just sending that message of hate and divide, again, I think that is something that our leadership holds responsible or should be held responsible for," Alexander said.

Van Drew released a statement Thursday saying, "the incident that took place is completely unacceptable behavior. There is no place for hate in our country, especially in South Jersey."

"I do want accountability," Alexander said, and quite honestly, I just want, at some point, the person to stand up, in court, under oath, and say I did this and this is why I did it."

The Middle Township Police Department said Thursday there are no updates on the case, and the mayor condemned the hate crime.

Anyone who may recognize the woman or car is urged to call the Cape May County Prosecutor's Office or Middle Township police.

NJ woman who allegedly hung noses near Black candidate's sign ID'd​

philadelphia
By CBS3 Staff

November 15, 2022 / 4:55 PM / CBS Philadelphia

CAPE MAY, N.J. (CBS) -- The woman who's accused of hanging rope nooses near a Black Congressional candidate's campaign materials last week has been identified. The Cape May County Prosecutor's Office said Tuesday the woman caught on camera hanging stuffed dolls from a tree is a 36-year-old Rio Grande resident.

Authorities did not release the woman's name.

According to the woman's family, she is suffering from behavioral health issues and has been treated in the recent past for such health issues.

Middle Township police released surveillance video of the incident last week. It shows the woman exiting a dark-colored sedan and handing dolls from a tree near a political sign for Tim Alexander in Rio Grande on Nov. 8, the day of the midterm elections.

The investigation has revealed the incident is not a Bias Intimidation crime and no charges will be filed at this time.

"This office has and will continue to thoroughly investigate any claims of Bias Intimidation based on race, color, religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nationality or ethnicity in accordance with the strict laws in New Jersey and I encourage anyone who has witnessed an act of Bias Intimidation or feels they were a victim of any Bias Intimidation to come forward and report the incident to the Cape May County Prosecutor's Office at (609) 465-1135," Prosecutor Jeffrey H. Sutherland said.

Hate Crime Investigation Opened After Paper Towel ‘Noose’ Found in Michigan Panera Bathroom​

By Cassandra Fairbanks
Published January 3, 2023 at 7:15am
P

2-487.jpg

A hate crime investigation has been opened after a “noose” made from paper towels was found in the bathroom of a Michigan Panera restaurant.​

The mayor of Gross Pointe, where the alleged “noose” was found, called the paper towels a “hate crime.”
“This is a hate crime that is unacceptable and will not be tolerated in our community,” said Grosse Point Mayor Sheila Tomkowiak in a statement. “The noose, which is a symbol of human oppression and violence, has no place here. Any attempts at racial intimidation will be dealt with to the full extent of the law.”
The restaurant’s assistant general manager Kareema Regular said that most of the staff there are black.

“Ninety-nine percent of us who work here is Black, so it’s no way around it that that wasn’t intended for us,” Regular told Fox 2
Regular continued, “one of my team managers went into the men’s restroom and discovered this noose made out of paper towel hanging in the stall.”
Police were called to the scene and are investigating it as a hate crime.
“I had to be the work the very next day at 5 a.m. and I was terrified in the morning,” said Regular. “Because I didn’t know what to expect.”
Surveillance video was pulled, which showed a group of teenagers going into the bathroom before the discovery.
“They were able to (get some video footage of) a group of students who were here around the time of the incident now waiting to see what the outcome is,” Regular said.
Last month, a former Oriental Trading employee in Nebraska was sentenced to four months in prison for leaving a twine noose on a floor scrubber.
The prosecution claimed that Bruce Quinn left the noose on the equipment, knowing it would be used by a black employee.
“Federal courts have long recognized the noose as one of the most vile symbols in American history,” said Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke for the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division in a statement to ABC News. “Individuals, like this defendant, who use a noose to convey a threat of violence at a workplace will be held accountable for their actions.”
In addition to the four months in prison, Quinn will also have one year of supervised release.
Quinn had no prior criminal history.

Rope looped like noose found hanging in downtown Santa Cruz​

STC-L-JYNOOSE-0708-02_114066003-e1688767189623.jpg

SANTA CRUZ — On the heels of citywide efforts to celebrate Juneteenth and bring together community around a vandalized Black Lives Matter street mural, a rope looped like a noose was left hanging downtown around the July Fourth holiday.

Screenshot of a rope tied to a downtown Santa Cruz street signal July 4, symbolic of a noose. (La'Sundra McGowan -- Contributed)Screenshot of a rope tied to a downtown Santa Cruz street signal July 4, symbolic of a noose. (La’Sundra McGowan — Contributed)
Santa Cruz resident La’Sundra McGowan was walking home from the grocery store around 1 p.m. Tuesday when she noticed the rope, tied to a pedestrian walk signal post at the corner of Pacific Avenue and Front Street. It was a busy day downtown, but no one was around her at the moment McGowan realized what she was seeing. It was the second time she had walked past it, herself.

McGowan, at first, said she was about to keep walking by. Then, on impulse, she stopped, backed up and recorded a 9-second video of the hanging rope, with the Town Clock and its rippling American flag in the background. She later posted the video to image-sharing site Instagram with the caption, “Yep … Today. #merica.”

“Honestly, I literally felt like I had been punched in the gut. And then you just kind of feel hollow,” said McGowan when reached Friday to discuss the post, which has since been shared and reposted. “A lot of people were like, why didn’t you take it down? That was literally the farthest thing from my mind. It was just more an emotional response — I wasn’t thinking, ‘I’ve got to get this down.’ I was just gutted.”

On Thursday, the Santa Cruz Police Department opened an investigation after being notified of a social media video post showing the swinging rope, department spokesperson Joyce Blaschke said. The rope itself had already been removed by the time officials were alerted, Blaschke said.

“Right now it’s an active investigation,” Blaschke said. “They’re reaching out to the individual (who posted) to get a better sense of the timeframe and then they’ll be looking at various media in the surrounding area.”

The street corner where the rope was left is the same spot where, a month earlier, someone repeatedly used a racial slur against McGowan, she said. She said that racism in Santa Cruz during her 13 years living there seemed to have gotten worse in the past three years.

“I pretty much have (expletive) PTSD on that corner,” McGowan said.

Hanging ‘noose’ symbolic, has recent local history​

Similarly, a rope shaped like a noose was found hanging July 6, 2020 at the base of the UC Santa Cruz campus, near Coolidge Road and High Street). NAACP Santa Cruz issued a statement, at the time, criticizing the UCSC leadership for falling “short of describing what will be done to ensure tangible support and bolster resources for the Black community on campus.”

“In light of the recent racist action that involved the hanging of a noose at the UCSC campus, The UCSC NAACP is appalled both by the boldness of people to intimidate Black lives by echoing the racial violence of past lynching, and by the following complicit nature of our institutional systems to not communicate effectively to the populations which may be directly impacted, such as our Black student leaders,” the NAACP statement reads, in part.

Related Articles​

Hours after McGowan posted the video, another Instagram user commented that they had driven by and removed the hanging rope themselves and could not believe that it had been left untouched all day. That individual, who spoke to the Sentinel on the condition of anonymity due to concerns related to potential threats to their family and public-facing job, said they saw the video, drove downtown with a friend, cut it loose and tossed it in the trash. The incident, they said, did not traumatize them, and they later proceeded to go grab a burrito to eat. Instead, they said, the actions spoke to them of a “coward” hiding their true racist feelings.

After she posted the social media video, McGowan said at least one person was quick to criticize her online for doing so.

“It’s something that white people have done to Black people since we first arrived in this country. It represents lynching. It represents, ‘We don’t want you here.’ ‘We want to take control over you.’ ‘We can kill you at any time by stringing you up by a noose,’” McGowan said. “It’s threatening, is what it was, and I shouldn’t feel threatened here.”

Local activist Thairie Ritchie, who organized last month’s March Toward Love and Courage event, was among those who were tagged on reposts of McGowan’s video.

“Definitely it was disappointing, but I’m not surprised, to be brutally honest,” Ritchie said, adding that he hoped elected officials would publicly denounce the act. “It’s very hard to see it being accidental, giving the climate of the mural being repainted and the Juneteenth events.”

Back