Negro Ex-Mayor must repay theft or go to prison

Dr William Pierce

Registered
Link

A judge warned former Country Club Hills Mayor Felton Flagg on Thursday that he has 60 days to pay $30,000 in restitution of the $73,000 he stole from his former private employer - or he is going to prison.

"My primary objective is that the victim is made whole," said St. Louis County Circuit Judge Mark D. Seigel at Flagg's sentencing. "If that can't occur, the only thing I can do is send you to the penitentiary; I will not hesitate five minutes if the money is not paid."

Seigel imposed a five-year pri

son sentence, suspended it, and put Flagg on probation for five years, with the provisos that Flagg pay $30,000 within 60 days, pay $1,000 a month until the balance is paid off, wear an electronic monitor for 120 days and perform 200 hours of
community service over a two-year period.

Flagg, 44, pleaded guilty Aug. 23 of one count of felony theft and 15 counts of forgery. He admitted he stole $73,000 from Zip Mail Service Inc., of Brentwood, from September 2002 to July 2004. As Zip's human resources director, Flagg repeatedly forged the name of a former employee on checks and then cashed the checks at a liquor store in Maplewood.

A grand jury indicted Flagg on March 16 on the theft and forgery charges. The indictment was suppressed until he surrendered to authorities on April 5, the day before the election in which he defeated David Powell Sr., a former alderman.

Flagg resigned as mayor on the day after his plea. He had been mayor since 1997 and served as alderman fo
r tw
o years before that.

Flagg's sentencing was set initially for Oct. 6, with an understanding that he could come up with the restitution and avoid a three-year prison sentence. Flagg failed to produce the money that day or at subsequent hearings.
[/qu
ote]

flagg24big.jpg

Lordy, lordy! Ah sho betta getz da munee oh ahm gonna go ta prizzin!

Back