Nation of Islam minister Tony Muhammad

Expose Them All

Registered
During a vigil for Beiard in the Hyde Park neighborhood last night, Nation of Islam minister Tony Muhammad and two bodyguards were arrested on suspicion of committing battery against an officer.

minister.jpg

On Wednesday night, a crowd became angry over the response of paramedics after they covered up the body of shooting victim Nahun Beiard while he appeared to still be moving.

minister3shot.jpg

LOS ANGELES - The Nation of Islam's western regional director suspected of assaulting a police officer disobeyed the officer's orders during a vigil for a shooting victim, according to a taped recording and a transcript of it.

Minister Tony Muhammad said "make me" twice when offic

ers asked National of Islam members to move two sport utility vehicles that were apparently blocking traffic during a vigil Thursday for shooting
death victim 21 year-old Nahun Beaird, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

The LAPD released the recording and transcript Saturday amid accusations that police beat up Muhammad, who appeared at a news conference a day after the vigil with the left side of his face badly swollen.

Police officials said it was Muhammad who was "very belligerent and uncooperative." He was arrested on suspicion of committing battery against a police officer and later released on $20,000 bail.

A transcript of the dispatch call begins when the officer said, "Don't walk behind me, don't walk behind me."

Muhammad responded, "I'm not doing nothing, I'm not going nowhere."

The officer, who was not identified, later said "back up." To that Muhammad replied, "make me." <
br><
br>The confrontation ended with the officer requesting backup.

It was not known whether police released the entire transcript and taped recording. A spokesman for the Nation of Islam had no comment.

Los Angeles
Sentinel publisher Danny Bakewell said he witnessed officers attack Muhammad.

"He was wrestled to the ground, pepper-sprayed in his face, and once he was on the ground he was kicked brutally and punched in the mouth," said Bakewell, also head of the Los Angeles Brotherhood Crusade.

Deputy Chief Earl Paysinger disputed that claim.

"In the minds of some, they would have you believe that the Police Department attacked members of the Nation of Islam. I'm not so sure that occurred," Paysinger said.

On Saturday, police also showed the shirt of the officer that had been allegedly ripped during the confrontation.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and police officials promised an investigation.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=3383640

Back