Ku Klux Klan business cards

Rasp

Senior Editor

[Humorous video at link; United Northern and Southern Knights of the KKK strike again]

Indianapolis - Some unwelcomed visitors left shocking business cards in several neighborhoods over the weekend.

6738187_BG1.jpg

Concerned homeowners called police about what they describe as a message from the Ku Klux Klan. They found the notes in Mailboxes and in yards near 33rd & Guilford, 34th and Delaware and as far north as the 7400 block of Evanston Avenue.

Theida Woods showed Eyewitness News where she found a disturbing business card in her front yard.

Someone claiming to be part of the Ku Klux Klan left the card on her property and left Woods feeling uneasy.

"Kind of nervous because I don't know if they are going to come and burn a cross or what," said Woods.

Woods realized she wasn't the only victim when she learned several of her neighbors on Guilford found the same cards. One of them even spotted someone outside their home around 3:00 a.m. Saturday.

"Everybody has one on this side. My neighbor says she saw them. It was a car load of white guys, and she said three of them got out and walked up and down the street passing the cards out," Woods said.

The card contains print on both sides. The front of the card reads "We are watching over you while you sleep," and the back reads, "YOU'VE BEEN VISITED BY THE KLU KLUX KLAN."

People in Jim Dougan's neighborhood got the cards too, and many of his neighbors share his reaction.

"I was surprised. I was shocked," he said.

He too is appalled by what happened and says their grammatical error on the card says even more.

"If someone is focusing on hate, maybe they have neglected the finer points of their education," said Dougan.

Theida Woods agrees. "That shows you how ignorant they are."

The cards were left in neighborhoods ranging from 33rd and Guilford to as far north as 75th and Evanston Avenue.

Despite the Klan claiming their protection, people aren't comfortable about it.

"It's not a comfort. I can't see them protecting me," Woods said.

Dougan agrees. "We don't need their protection. We have the police department. They've done a fine job."

Although the card distributors made no outright threats to anyone, some of the people they left cards for wanted police to know just in case.

Police are concerned about the group's intentions, so their actions are under investigation.

KKK cards delivered to Antioch

KKK cards delivered to Antioch
Message on note rattles residents

Residents of an Antioch neighborhood were alarmed Sunday morning to find they were the latest area recipients of Ku Klux Klan business cards, delivered in front of their homes during the night.

The cards surfaced about two weeks ago at homes in several Lebanon subdivisions, also during the night.

Officials are unsure who's been delivering the cards, which include the address of a Michigan post office box and assure recipients that the Klan "was watching over your neighborhood as you slept."

"I don't think that was a comforting thing for people to hear," said Cmdr. Rick Lankford of Metro's south precinct.

Police began hearing complaints from residents of Asheford Crossing subdivision Sunday, after many found KKK cards near their mailboxes or at the end of their driveways. Lankford said Metro police have stepped up patrol in the area and are trying to determine why the cards were delivered.

"That's a very diverse neighborhood where this happened. People are concerned, and understandably so," he said.

David Veness, a resident of Asheford Crossing, called the business cards "pretty disgusting." His 14-year-old son, Nick, picked one up from the ground near their mailbox at about 9 a.m. Sunday.

"I think everyone's just been weirded out by all this," Nick said of the neighborhood response.

The cards carry the name of United Northern and Southern Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. The cards do not list a telephone number, but e-mails sent to the group's Web site seeking comment were unreturned.

Lebanon Police Chief Scott Bowen said his department also has been unable to determine who is distributing the cards or why.

Lankford said police are seeking information from anybody who might know about the origin of the cards. "We'd love to talk to them, to see what it is they're up to."

KKK 'watching over' another Tri-State neighborhood

KKK 'watching over' another Tri-State neighborhood

Residents in Newburgh get an unwelcome visitor overnight.

Many woke up to find business cards from the Ku Klux Klan in their driveways.

A little less than two weeks ago, the same thing happened in Owensboro, Kentucky. Residents awoke to find business cards from the KKK in their yards, streets and driveways.

It occurred in several neighborhoods there, and now it appears they've moved on.

It was back in 1998 that Warrick County was the center of attention after the Ku Klux Klan announced Boonville would be the site of its next town rally.

Many didn't like the idea of the KKK being in their town then and it seems those feelings haven't changed.

It's a neighborhood like so many others: yard ornaments peeking around flowers, American flags flapping in the wind, and sprinklers helping with the drying landscape, but residents in Rabbit Run subdivision, awoke to something else decorating their yards.

A card that read, "For your safety, the KKK was watching over your neighborhood as you slept."

Betty walks her grandson in the neighborhood, and was surprised to find KKK cards along the street.

Betty says she doesn't not like them watching over her, "I don't appreciate it one bit because if we need someone to watch over us it would be the city police, I think they should stay out of the neighborhood and leave everybody alone. Right now, after seeing that, I don't feel too good about it, but we'll kindly be on the lookout for a while."

Other neighbors, like Merle seemed to agree, she says, "I don't particularly like to hear that they are watching over my house as I sleep."

Another resident, who chose to remain nameless, says, "I think they have the right to have whatever beliefs they want, but I don't think they should have the right to leave stuff on people's doorsteps because it is kind of disturbing, especially for the African American families living in this neighborhood."

Deputy Brett Cruse from the Warrick County Sheriff's Department, says most of the cards were left in the streets or driveways of homes in several Newburgh subdivisions, "Country Place, Rabbit Run Subdivision. I believe there was some in Old Hickory around the Castle High School area out in Vann Road and some of those neighborhoods."

While law enforcement says technically whoever is doing this is littering, they would actually have to be caught in the act, to be fined or ticketed.

Their advice to residents, just ignore it.

Betty has a message for the KKK, "Just go away period, from every neighborhood really. We don't need them."

Many have questioned whether the cards are even legitimate. They do advertise an actual website which is legitimate of the United Northern and Southern Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, so it appears to be the real thing.

:xburn:

Back