Klan plans anti-immigrant rally in Tuscumbia, AL

Rasp

Senior Editor
Klan plans anti-immigrant rally in Tuscumbia, AL

Klan to rally in Tuscumbia

TUSCUMBIA -- The Ku Klux Klan plans to rally against illegal immigration Saturday on the lawn of the Colbert County Courthouse.

Colbert County Sheriff Ronnie May said county officials informed him about the rally Monday.

May spoke with one Klan member who is organizing the event.

"I told him I want a peaceful event," May said.

The sheriff said the representative assured him he would speak only about immigration and brought the sheriff a copy of the speech.

Still, May said he wants his deputies on hand. "I've canceled all leave for my officers for Saturday," he said.

The event will only take place on the lawn. "It's a
public courthouse, so we can't keep them off it," May said.

The courthouse, itself, will not be open.

The sheriff hopes the 11 a.m. event finishes peacefully.

"I don't want folks to show up just to start a confrontation," May said. "If you start with them, you'll be asked to leave."

The sheriff said he doesn't know why the Klan chose Colbert County for the rally.

The Klan rallied a year ago at the Franklin County Courthouse.

May spoke with Franklin County Sheriff Larry Plott, who told them that rally had less than 100 Klan members, and about three times as many spectators.

"He said the only problem they had was from some younger guys in the crowd wanting to initiate something," May said.

His advice to anyone who attends Saturday is to "Let them say what they want, and we can move on."

County Administrator Donna Llewellyn said the Klan approached the Colbert County Commission about a month ago regarding the rally.

"Through all legalitie
s, we cannot stop anybody from meeting on the lawn," Llewellyn said. "The sheriff's office has been notified in case there's any problem."

May is working with Tuscumbia Police Chief Terry Sherron on a plan to keep order during the event. Like May, Sherron wants plenty of enforcement.

"We'll have as large a contingency as possible from the police," Sherron said. "We're not expecting any problem but want to be prepared if we have anything happen."

Sherron said they are looking at photographs from last year's rally in an attempt to get a perspective on the best means of maintaining order.

"It looks from the pictures like there won't be any problems," Sherron said.

-------------------------------------

Speaking of pictures from last year's rally, check this out:

Pastor Ken Gregg, of Knoxville, Tenn., th
e Imperial Kludd of the Knights of Yahwah Ku Klux Klan, recites scripture from the Bible as he and fellow Klan members protest illegal immigration during a rally in Russellville.

A pair of female Ku Klux Klan members hold a sign as they hold a rally protesting illegal immigration at the Franklin County Courthouse.

Members of the Ku Klux Klan hold a rally on the front steps of the Franklin County Courthouse protesting illegal immigration.

Brother Billy, of Birmingham, a member of the Lebensborn Assembly Church, talks to the crowd assembled in Russellville about illegal immmigrants taking "jobs away from us working redneck folks."

http://www.geocities.com/ra
spstarb/eyebank/klanrally5.jpg

A crowd of between 300-400 people gather in Russellville, some in support, some in protest and others just to witness the Ku Klux Klan

Ku Klux Klan members wave the Confederate battle flag from the front steps of the Franklin County Courthouse during a rally protesting illegal immigration.

Russellville Klan Rally Photo Gallery

Back