Jacksonville trying to end set-asides

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter
Peyton works to win confidence for race-neutral contracting plan

Clanzel Brown Park's community center in Northwest Jacksonville is about as far from a political comfort zone as Mayor John Peyton can get.

For almost three hours, the white Republican told members of the predominantly black, Democratic neighborhood why he wants to do away with goals for city contracts based on race.

Instead, Peyton hopes to phase in a race-neutral contracting policy.

It's probably the most sensitive issue for Peyton's tenure so far, and by no means has he won hearts a
d minds of black leaders. People still remember the 2003 campaign, when he was accused of trying to "turn back the clock on African-Americans."

But doors have opened and he has quie
tly and publicly met with black leaders in the community. Many have tempered
their opposition to the proposal. The mayor said his understanding of the role of race in Jacksonville has evolved and said he sees how racism has affected people.

Many black leaders, residents and even friends say it's too soon to tell. Skepticism remains.

"He hasn't achieved it yet, in terms of tangible sense of trust in the minority and the poor" communities, said the Rev. Pete Jackson, who is black and Peyton's top mayoral aide.

"There's still a ways to go. I think he may be 40 percent on the way to the journey."

'Down to business'

With a red, white and blue hand fan that reads "Corrine cares" -- a reference to black Democratic U.S. Rep.
Corrine Brown -- on a shelf, it would seem hard to be comfortable at the center. But Peyton said he knows the community, having managed Gate Petroleum stores nearby. Still, he was in a precinct that g
ave him five votes and his black Democratic challenger, Nat Glover, 606 in 2003.

For decades City Hall had a race-neutral policy th
at excluded their businesses, audience members reminded Peyton. In the 1980s, the city began setting aside contracts based on race, changing policies somewhat in the face of lawsuits against racial preferences. Under former Mayor John Delaney, the city upped contracting goals for minorities as a selling point for the $2.2 billion Better Jacksonville Plan. As 28 percent of the city, black voters' support was crucial.

"I know he wants to do the right thing," audience member Robert Wilson said, "but let's get down to business. Give me some numbers."

Peyton and city officials seated in front of the crowd said they expect
minorities, particularly African-Americans, to make up most of the program. About 90 percent of the businesses currently are in the program and the program would set aside contracts for their compan
ies. City officials also said help with bonding, capital and training will be drastically better.

Leaving the meeting, Calvin Barber, owner of Rattler Construction Contrac
tors in Jacksonville, said the problem wasn't with Peyton or other city officials, it was the history of poor administration of any of the programs. But Peyton also needs a better understanding of the difficulties of minority contractors, Barber said.

"I think that he's trying, but I also think that he's got a lot of learning to do," Barber said, "and where you learn it, that's where the decisions are going to be done."

Busy agenda

Since January, Peyton has met with black residents or leaders or gone to events or churches at least 80 times, according to a list provided by the Mayor
's Office. Of those, at least 46 people were elected or appointed officials. Some of the events included reading to children, firing the starter's pistol at the Bob Hayes Track Meet and p
erforming at amateur night at Ritz Theatre.

Many are private meetings. Others are like an event Thursday at Evangel Temple on the Westside. He spoke behind a lectern to a diverse crowd, but any strong feelings were muted i
nside the church. Among black residents, he sometimes speaks afterward, putting a hand on a back or suggesting he come out to visit. Peyton, who campaigned as a conservative, used "progressive" to describe the proposal at the center and elsewhere.

If Peyton has a victory so far, it's the scarce public outcry by black political leaders who oppose the program.

They do.

Council member Reggie Fullwood, for example, is against automatically phasing out goals and concerned that there wasn't enough review of the existing laws. But he said he was waiting to see
how proposed changes were handled before saying whether he would vote against it.

"You can't just end a program haphazardly. There needs to be some evidence that we need to end
the program," he said.

Brown said she opposes a race-neutral policy, but applauded the new proposals to add financial and management assistance for small businesses, mainly minority-owned ones. The local chapter of the National Association for the Adv
ancement of Colored People opposes race-neutral policies
, but not Peyton's proposal outright, President Isaiah Rumlin said. Influential African-American ministers also have yet to rake the plan publicly.

"There are some good things in this proposal, but there are some things in this proposal that are not acceptable," Brown said, adding that "to sunset the program is to tell people from day one that we don't have any program, we're not serious."

State Sen. Tony Hill, a black Democrat, strongly opposed Go
v. Jeb Bush's race-neutral policies. Despite concerns over Peyton's proposal, Hill organized the Clanzel Brown meeting, noting afterward, "Gov. Bush, he literally did not come
and talk with any black leaders. ... John Peyton came to meet me at my office."

It marks a change in the perception of Peyton, and perhaps Peyton himself. Before the election campaign, Jackson said, he thought of Peyton as "the son of Herb Peyton," suggesting he was a product of a white, suburban, corporate world
without much understanding of the lives of local African-American residents. Getting to know Peyton changed that image, but it festered with others.

By August, Peyton decided to take part in Study Circles, a program where people gather for frank discussions on race. It's there that Peyton and Jackson saw a gradual rise in Peyton's understanding of how race affects people. The mayor sat through monthly meetings for about six months, hearing about discrimination. Other staff membe
rs have followed him.

"I think I've enhanced my understanding about racial experiences in Jacksonville," Peyton said Thursday. "I will never fully understand
what it's like to walk in the shoes of black resident of Jacksonville. I'm not one. Anything I can do, through enhancing my understanding, better helps me. ... This ordinance dredges up a lot of past history here."

High-stakes issues

Stakes are high for Peyton. Not just for passage -- most mayoral and outside observers think he has enough votes -- but also
if the vote is racially divided. Officials on both sides express fears, although Peyton downplays it.

"I am more concerned about the performance of what we do than of the vote of what we're proposing," Peyton said.

After only a year in office, his record in black neighborhoods has yet to be forged. He and staffers note his literacy program, which is expected to direct resources in some minority areas. He also has continued
to support some spending measures in those neighborhoods. The contracting proposal will open up new assistance that minority leaders previously could not win, such as help with bo
nding and capital.

"How can you ask African-Americans to trust you if you haven't demonstrated that the issues that are important to African-Americans are even on your radar screen," Fullwood said. "That's the issue he has to deal with."

One black council member, Democrat Gwen Yates, said Friday she thinks she will support it. But others' positions are uncertain or like council member Glori
ous Johnson, set against approval because of lawsuit concerns. She and Fullwood, among others, complain the council needs to take more time.

A vote was delayed Monday until at least July 13.

Peyton wanted the vote today, but his staff downplayed the impact the delay will have.

In July, the council will have new committee leaders and a new power structure could derail the proposal
. Fullwood said last week that with him as finance chairman and other opponents with chairmanships, "some people are afraid ... that we will take our time and just study t
he bill and sort of hold the mayor's feet to the fire on it."

Incoming council President Elaine Brown, who decides leadership positions, declined to say whether Fullwood's take was right or wrong.

The result will be watched by the NAACP, by Rep. Brown and others -- who hint the temperance today could turn to the protest of tomorrow.

End racial preference in America NOW!

T.N.B.

Back