ISIS Inspired Bangladesh In Custody Following Underground Explosion Near Port Authority Bus Terminal

voiceofreason

Senior News Editor since 2011
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/12/11/port-authority-bus-terminal-explosion/

Suspect In Custody Following Underground Explosion Near Port Authority Bus Terminal
December 11, 2017 at 8:20 am

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — One person is in custody after a homemade pipe bomb exploded during the morning rush Monday near the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

It happened around 7:19 a.m. in an underground walkway between Times Square and the Port Authority Bus Terminal subway stations in the area of 42nd Street and 8th Avenue.

EXTRAS: Traffic/Transit Changes | Videos

The NYPD said on Twitter that “one male suspect is in custody.”

Update regarding explosion at 42nd St and 8th Ave, in subway: One male suspect is in custody. No injuries other than suspect at this time. Avoid the area. Subways bypassing #PortAuthority and Times Square Stations. Info is preliminary. pic.twitter.com/bEAdjq8mYc

— NYPD NEWS (@NYPDnews) December 11, 2017

The device was apparently being carried by the suspect when it exploded prematurely. Video shows the suspect walking down the passageway when the device exploded without warning, CBS2 reported.
Sources said the suspect had a second device on him, CBS2 reported.

The suspect has only been identified as a man in his 20s, CBS2’s Reena Roy reported. The suspect, who is from Bangladesh and lives in Brooklyn, apparently suffered a laceration to his thigh in the blast, CBS2 reported.

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/incident-in-times-square-subway-station

NEW YORK (FOX5NY) - A man who was carrying what police described as a pipe bomb, and possibly an explosive device strapped on his body, was injured when it exploded in the subway system in the Times Square area during the busy Monday morning rush hour commute. The suspect is reportedly an ISIS-inspired immigrant from Bangladesh and lives in Brooklyn. He was taken into custody and rushed to the hospital.

http://abc7ny.com/nyc-terror-attack-what-we-know-about-the-suspect/2768447/

New York City terror attack: What we know about the suspect

2768671_1280x720.jpg

The suspect has been identified as 27-year-old Akayed Ullah, who is from Bangladesh and has been in the country for seven years. He reportedly lived at an address in Brooklyn.

Last edited:
https://nypost.com/2017/12/11/suicide-bombing-suspect-was-a-cab-driver-bent-on-revenge-cops/

Suicide bombing suspect was a cab driver bent on revenge: cops
By Shawn Cohen, Max Jaeger, Reuven Fenton and Natalie Musumeci
December 11, 2017 | 11:06am | Updated

171211-port-authority-bombing-suspect.jpg

The suspect in police custody following an explosion at Port Authority Bus Terminal.

The would-be suicide bomber who detonated an explosive device underground near the bustling Port Authority Bus Terminal is a former New York City cab driver who told investigators he carried out the attack for revenge, law enforcement sources said.

Akayed Ullah, 27, who is believed to be from Bangladesh and was living in Brooklyn, told authorities in sum and substance from his hospital bed: “They’ve been bombing in my country and I wanted to do damage here,” sources said.

Ullah — who officials say is a former city cab driver whose license has lapsed — set off a “low-tech” homemade pipe bomb strapped to his midsection around 7:20 a.m. inside the subway passageway between West 42nd Street and Eighth Avenue and West 42nd Street and Seventh Avenue.

The incident was captured on transit surveillance footage.

Ullah, who had the explosive device affixed to him with Velcro and zip ties, suffered burns to his hands and abdomen, along with lacerations, and injured three others who were in proximity to him. He ​was ​quickly taken into custody and ​transported ​to Bellevue Hospital.

171211-bomb-suspect-id-embed.jpg

Akayed Ullah

Immediately following the explosion, an MTA cleaner could be seen on surveillance ​video holding a dustpan and picking up two items off the ground while the bomber was lying in the empty corridor before the scene was locked down, a source said.

All three victims suffered minor injuries that included ringing in the ears and headaches. Two took themselves to Mount Sinai West and one to Mount Sinai Queens, according to officials.

“Let’s be clear that this was an attempted terrorist attack,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a press conference in Times Square alongside Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Police Commissioner James O’Neill.

“As New Yorkers, our lives revolve around the subways. When we hear of an attack in the subways, it’s incredibly unsettling,” de Blasio said, adding, “Thank God the perpetrator did not achieve his ultimate goals. Thank God our first responders were there so quickly to address the situation, to make sure people were safe. Thank God the only injuries as we know at this point were minor.”

Cuomo called the incident “one of our worst nightmares.”

“This is New York,” Cuomo said. “The reality is that we are a target by many who would like to make a statement against democracy, against freedom. We have the Statue of Liberty in our harbor and that makes us an international target.”

The governor added: “We are not going to allow them to disrupt us.”

O’Neill said the device “was intentionally detonated,” though sources said it went off prematurely.

Akayed Ullah: 5 Things To Know About Islamic Muslim Migrant Port Authority Terrorist
AkayedUllah.jpg
An explosion went off in Manhattan’s Port Authority Bus Terminal on Dec. 11. Akayed Ullah has been identified as the man suspected of detonating the pipe bomb. Here’s what you should know. Akayed Ullah, 27, was identified as the suspected bomber who caused the explosion this morning, Dec. 11, at Manhattan’s Port Authority Bus Terminal, according to NYPD Commissioner John O’Neil. Here are five things you need to know about him:
1. Port Authority wasn’t his intended target - 4. He moved to the U.S. less than a decade ago. He currently lives in the East Flatbush area of Brooklyn, NY, and police have arrived at his home to look for more information about him. Preliminary information suggests that he may have initially been from Bangladesh and has been living in America for about seven years, - SEND THEM ALL BACK

https://nypost.com/2017/12/11/port-authority-bomber-targeted-hallway-because-of-christmas-posters/

Port Authority bomber targeted hallway because of Christmas posters
By Larry Celona and Shawn Cohen
December 11, 2017 | 5:29pm

terror_suspect_152682856.jpg

The Port Authority bomber spent an hour spilling his guts to investigators at Bellevue Hospital on Monday — saying he picked the specific hallway because of Christmas posters and that he was avenging violence against Muslims around the world, law enforcement sources said.

Akayed Ullah mentioned President Trump and past administrations during the grilling, and said his anger was fueled by decades of anti-Muslim bloodshed in Gaza, Syria and Iraq.

Ullah, a Bangladeshi immigrant, said the attack was specifically inspired by ISIS — “not Al-Qaeda” — and also mentioned seeing Christmas posters before detonating the device in the underground tunnel between the bustling bus depot and the Times Square subway.

The seasonal imagery set him off — inspiring him to follow ISIS Christmas threats, NBC reports.

“He acknowledges he purposely set it off then and there,” a senior law enforcement official said.

He says he acted alone, building his crudely constructed bomb from commercially available parts based on instructions he found online, sources said.

Fortunately, the home-made pipe bomb didn’t detonate properly — and only wounded the wanna-be suicide bomber and those around him.

Ullah was allowed to stop several times to pray during the interview, and was later taken to the Intensive Care Unit for treatment for internal injuries suffered in the blast, sources said.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/11/famil...suspect-is-outraged-at-investigators-tactics/

Family of Port Authority bombing suspect is ‘outraged’ at investigators’ tactics
By Caroll Alvarado
December 11, 2017 | 7:23pm | Updated

The family of the alleged ISIS-inspired Port Authority bomber said they were “heartbroken” by the attack on Monday :rolleyes: and blasted law enforcement agencies for what they claimed were heavy-handed tactics by investigators. :mad:

“We are heartbroken by the violence that was targeted at our city today and by the allegations being made against a member of our family,” said the statement read by Albert Fox Cahn, legal director for the NY Chapter Council for Islamic Relations.

“But we’re also outraged by the behavior of the law enforcement officials who held children as small as 4 years old out in the cold and who pulled a teenager out of high school classes to interrogate him without lawyer, without his parents.” :rolleyes:

It was not immediately clear if the 4-year-old or the teenager were related to the suspect.

The family continued to criticize the way the investigation was handled — even though the suspect, Akayed Ullah, allegedly launched a failed terror attack in a crowded city subway tunnel.

“These are not the sorts of actions we expect from our justice system,” the statement read.

“We have every confidence that our justice system will find the truth behind this attack and that we will in the end be able learn what occurred today.”

https://nypost.com/2017/12/11/broth...g-suspect-worships-at-infamous-sheiks-mosque/

Brother of Port Authority bombing suspect worships at infamous sheik’s mosque
By Larry Celona
December 11, 2017 | 11:15pm | Updated

mosque.jpg

The Masjid Al-Salam mosque, shown here in 2001. AP

The brother of Port Authority bombing suspect Akayed Ullah worships at the same mosque where infamous blind sheik Omar Abdel-Rahman once preached, law enforcement sources told The Post on Monday.

Ullah’s brother Ahsan attends Mas Jid al-Salam mosque in Jersey City, where the radical cleric Abdel-Rahman used to spew hate.

Rahman came to the FBI’s attention following the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center.

The blind sheik – considered the WTC attack mastermind – was implicated in plots targeting the UN, Holland and Lincoln Tunnels and then-Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.

He was convicted of conspiracy in federal court in 1995, sentenced to life behind bars and died earlier this year at the age of 78.

Ahsan Ullah is being questioned by police but Akayed insists his brother had no role in the Port Authority attack, sources have said.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/11/man-indicted-in-failed-port-authority-pipe-bombing/

Man indicted in failed Port Authority pipe-bombing
By Associated Press
January 11, 2018 | 2:05am

A Bangladeshi immigrant :mad: was indicted Wednesday in the failed pipe bombing of the New York subway system last month.

Akayed Ullah faces numerous charges including providing material support to a terrorist organization, using a weapon of mass destruction and bombing a place of public use and a public transportation system.

Ullah, 27, was the only person seriously hurt in the Dec. 11 attack. He was arrested soon after the pipe bomb failed to fully explode, though he was initially hospitalized after suffering burns.

He remains held without bail at a lockup next to the federal court complex in lower Manhattan.

His lawyer did not immediately comment. Ullah was scheduled for arraignment Thursday.

Ullah could face life in prison if he is convicted of all charges in the attack, which occurred in a pathway linking the subway to the Port Authority bus terminal in Manhattan.

Authorities said Ullah taunted President Donald Trump on Facebook before the attack. The president later demanded tightened immigration rules.

They also said in court papers that he admitted he wanted to cause carnage to avenge U.S. aggression toward the Islamic State group.

His initial appearance before a federal magistrate judge came via a monitor, which showed images of him in his hospital bed, flanked by his publicly appointed lawyers.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/11/port-authority-bombing-suspect-pleads-not-guilty-at-this-moment/

Port Authority bombing suspect pleads not guilty ‘at this moment’
By Priscilla DeGregory
January 11, 2018 | 4:58pm

bomber-suspect-211.jpg

Getty Images

The accused Port Authority bomber told a Manhattan federal judge Thursday that he was pleading not guilty in the case — at least for now.

When Judge Richard Sullivan asked failed alleged suicide bomber Akayed Ullah for his plea, the suspect replied, “At this moment, not guilty.”

The Bangladeshi-born suspect was indicted Wednesday for allegedly detonating a faulty bomb last month, only seriously injuring himself.

Ullah showed up in court in person for the first time Thursday, having previously only appeared before a judge by video from a hospital bed after his arrest.

Ullah, 27, is charged with six counts for the Dec. 11 attack in the bus terminal, including providing material support to a terrorist organization, using a weapon of mass destruction and bombing a place of public use and public transportation.

Ullah’s lawyer, Amy Gallichio, told Sullivan that Ullah — who took care to sit down in the court room gently — was still recovering, saying, “[Some] stiches remain embedded in his skin, causing him a great deal of discomfort.”

Prosecutor George Turner said prosecutors had gathered materials for the case including surveillance videos, photos from the crime scene, DNA evidence, statements that Ullah made to officials after his arrest, postings from his social-media accounts, e-mails, MetroCard data, and phone records. Turner estimated that if the case went to trial, it would likely take one to two weeks.

Outside of court, Gallicchio, said, “When we have an indictment containing charges like this, I think it’s easy to lose sight of the important and invaluable rights that every person is afforded in our system of justice, including Mr. Ullah.”

Gallicchio did not respond to questions about Ullah’s odd plea, which seemed to leave the door open for a plea agreement at a later date.

Ullah is due back in court April 13.

Help the Sandni66ers with God's charity.

Ashar S.Farooqi <asharfarooqi01@gmail.com>
To:
undisclosed-recipients: <>
Subject:
(Dear truly of God )
Date:
Monday, January 15, 2018 11:57 AM
Size:
25 KB

Remote images blocked to protect your privacy. Load images.

(Dear truly of God )

I’m Mrs. Fatima Al Jaber, a Director of Group Companies here In United Arab Emirates, I am divinely touched to offer my fortune to less privilege through you for charity work. And Although we never met before i know that, I have every reason to believe that you are a highly respected personality, considering the fact that I sourced your profile from a human resource profile database on your country

I am a widow and childless, as a result of my present situation, I have nothing else in mind other than to help the poor according to God's direction and wishes. By special grace of God I reached you by email because I cannot speak to your understanding on telephone due to my sickness.

I am suffering from esophageal cancer for years now and have undergone series of cancer treatments but no avail. Recently my doctor declared that I will not last forth coming month. Therefore I will offer you $15,000,000.00 US to take care of less privilege with heartfelt love of God and humanity. I decided to hand you over this money so that you will conduct vastly a charity work and dispense the money to the glory of God. I have shorter days to live; therefore I have portioned 30% of the total money for your personal use while 70% of the money will go to the charity work.

As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the address of my Bank in Dubai and will also instruct them for the release of the money to you for the charity work. But I only wished to have assurance that you will utilize the money as I have instructed herein.

This is my last wish, I grew up as an Orphan and I don't have anybody as my family member therefore I would not like anything to jeopardize the charity project as my last wish. Please remember my situation in your daily prayers.

Please kindly let me know your mind over this request. I hesitate to hear from you immediately as i wish to use this privilege to set my future. Kindly get back immediately with your complete information. Kindly reply to this address Now permit me to ask these few questions:-

1. Can you honestly help me as your own person?

2. Can we completely trust you?

3. Hope my percentage offer is good accepted by you?

So my dear, if you like to receive your money this way, please do re-confirm the followings as stated below for second confirmation:

1. Full Names

2. Phone and Fax Number

3. Country of origin

4. Current Address

5. Age and Current Occupation

6. Your Identification Card/Driving Licence

Please, Treat this email confidential and get back to us as soon as possible.

Hoping to receive your reply soon. Mrs. Fatima Al Jaber.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/17/lawyer-for-alleged-port-authority-bomber-may-seek-change-of-venue/

Lawyer for alleged Port Authority bomber may seek change of venue
By Kaja Whitehouse
April 17, 2018 | 8:49pm

The lawyer for the accused Port Authority bomber said ​Tuesday that she may seek a change of venue as a Manhattan federal judge set a trial date of Oct. 29.

Lawyer Amy Gallicchio didn’t say why she might request the trial of Akayed Ullah be moved to another state.

The Bangladeshi-born suspect has been charged with an attempted bomb attack in the Port Authority bus terminal that immobilized half the city on Dec. 11. Fortunately, he was the only one seriously injured in the blast.

At a hearing ​in Manhattan federal court, defense lawyers said they are still going through the evidence, including a whopping 263 hours of video found on Ullah’s laptop. Prosecutors said they found thousands of videos on Ullah’s computer, including ISIS propaganda videos and lectures by Islamic radicals including Anwar al-Awlaki.

Ullah has been charged with six counts, including providing material support to a terrorist organization, using a weapon of mass destruction and bombing a place of public use.

He faces life in prison if convicted.

https://nypost.com/2018/08/07/accused-port-authority-bomber-warned-of-more-attacks-feds/

Accused Port Authority bomber warned of more attacks: feds
By Kaja Whitehouse
August 7, 2018 | 3:31pm

180807-port-authority-bomber-feature.jpg

Akayed Ullah. AP

The accused terrorist who detonated a homemade bomb in a Times Square tunnel in December made chilling predictions of additional attacks, chanting, “More is coming’’ while behind bars, the feds revealed Tuesday.

Akayed Ullah — a 28-year-old Bangladeshi native and cabbie who was radicalized by online ISIS propaganda around 2014 after coming to the US — also told a correction officer, “You started this war, we will finish it. More is coming, you’ll see,” according to Manhattan federal prosecutors.

He added to a law-enforcement officer, “System is not working, think who will come after me,” according to the court filing.

The feds revealed the alarming statements while objecting to Ullah’s lawyers’ request to dismiss one count of his six-count indictment, which includes allegations that he acted in support of ISIS.

The suspect, who was living in Brooklyn at the time of the attack, faces life in prison for allegedly strapping a homemade pipe bomb to his body to detonate it during the busy morning rush hour in the Port Authority tunnel Dec. 11.

But instead of harming innocent commuters, Ullah only hurt himself.

Surveillance footage released after the attempted attack shows Ullah walking through the Port Authority tunnel when a big cloud of dust emerges. The people around Ullah scatter for safety, and he is left lying on the ground, where the police found him.

The feds say Ullah spoke freely to investigators after the attempted attack, telling them that he “did it for the Islamic State” and admitting that he chose a busy weekday morning in order to terrorize as many people as possible.

In raiding his Brooklyn home, investigators also found a passport scrawled with the words, “O AMERICA, DIE IN YOUR RAGE,” in all capital letters.

The same message was written inside a cardboard box found in his apartment that contained metal screws like the ones found in the subway following his attempted attack, they said.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/28/port-authority-bomb-trial-set-to-begin/

Port Authority bomb trial set to begin
By Kaja Whitehouse
October 28, 2018 | 10:38pm

An alleged ISIS-inspired former cabby will stand trial starting Monday for a plot to blow up a tunnel near the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

Despite evidence that includes surveillance video that authorities say shows the moment Akayed Ullah set off the device last December in the crowded tunnel leading to the subway, he has declined plea-deal offers and decided to take his chances at trial.

As jury selection gets underway, Manhattan federal prosecutors are armed with footage showing Ullah walking through the 42nd Street tunnel as his backpack explodes.

Everyone around him runs away, and after the dust settles, only he remains, writhing on the floor in pain. Five people were hurt in the blast, which authorities have said went off prematurely, but Ullah, 28, was the only one seriously injured.

Law-enforcement officers will testify that they found parts of the detonated device on Ullah’s body at the scene, including a 9-volt battery inside his pants pocket and wires connected to the battery that were running beneath his jacket.

The feds also plan to present statements Ullah made after the blast in which he allegedly admitted building the bomb in his Brooklyn apartment and said, “I did it for the Islamic State.”

His lawyers did not return a request for comment, but have said they want to weed out jurors who might confuse Ullah with Cesar Sayoc, who is accused of sending pipe bombs last week to prominent Democrats.

Ullah is charged with providing material support to ISIS and attempting to use a weapon of mass destructive. He faces a potential life sentence if convicted.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/30/victim-of-port-authority-bombing-breaks-down-in-court/

Victim of Port Authority bombing breaks down in court
By Kaja Whitehouse
October 30, 2018 | 9:52pm | Updated October 30, 2018 | 10:52pm

A New Jersey man was brought to tears Tuesday as he recalled for a Manhattan jury the day an ex-cabby detonated a homemade pipe bomb in a Port Authority walkway tunnel — shooting burning hot metal into his leg and leaving him a lasting fear of the subway.

David Wall, 65, said that when he passed terror defendant Akayed Ullah, 28, in the passageway under 42nd Street in Midtown, he “said a little prayer” for the guy because he thought Ullah was homeless.

But Ullah in fact had a good job as an electrician at a Midtown construction site — and used that knowledge to make a pipe bomb that he then strapped to his chest, the explosive going off at 7:20 a.m., in the middle of the morning rush on Dec. 11, 2017.

“About three steps later there was the loudest explosion I ever heard,” Wall told the federal jury. “It pushed me forward. I was stunned.”

Later that day, doctors discovered a piece of metal had been seared into Wall’s calf. He also suffered hearing loss — and fear of riding the very subway that gets him to work every day.

Wall, who works as a project manager for a general contractor, said that after he gets off the subway he often can’t bring himself to get back on.

“I call my wife. Train after train goes by. It’s tough,” he said, his eyes welling with tears.

“He was a terrorist with a bomb strapped to his chest,” prosecutor Rebekah Donaleski told the jury in opening remarks. “His attack was committed in the name of ISIS.”

Donaleski called it a “miracle” that no one died, but Ullah’s lawyers disagreed, saying he never meant to hurt anyone but himself.

“What this case is about is a young man — a deeply troubled, isolated young man — who wants to take his own life,” federal defender Julia Gatto told the jury, denying that Ullah acted at the behest of ISIS.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/06/isis-fighter-wannabe-found-guilty-in-port-authority-bombing/

Terrorist found guilty in Port Authority bombing
By Kaja Whitehouse, Priscilla DeGregory and Bruce Golding
November 6, 2018 | 2:26pm | Updated November 6, 2018 | 9:31pm

The Bangladeshi immigrant who blew up a pipe bomb in a crowded pedestrian tunnel under Times Square was convicted on all counts Tuesday afternoon — then blamed his failed attack on President Trump.

“I was angry with Donald Trump. He said he would bomb the Middle East,” Akayed Ullah said after jurors left the courtroom.

Ullah, 28, also denied trying to kill commuters for ISIS, as he confessed to an NYPD detective following the Dec. 11 blast.

“I didn’t do it for ISIS group,” he said.

“They try to put me in a group which I don’t support.”

Manhattan federal Judge Richard Sullivan repeatedly interrupted Ullah as the Brooklyn resident blurted out his remarks.

“I don’t think right now is the time for a statement,” Sullivan told him, adding that he could say his piece at his April 5 sentencing.

He faces up to life in prison.

Ullah was the only person injured when the bomb strapped to his body exploded in an underground walkway connecting the city’s busiest subway station and the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

The eight-woman, four-man jury found Ullah guilty of six felonies, including using a weapon of mass destruction and supporting a foreign terrorist organization.

The evidence against him included surveillance video that shows him falling to the floor following the explosion.

Ullah’s defense lawyers admitted during the one-week trial that he detonated the device but claimed he did it to kill himself — not others.

They also argued — in an effort to avoid a potential life sentence — that he wasn’t motivated by ISIS, but rather was trying to protest American policies that he felt were hurting Muslims.

Defense lawyer Amy Gallicchio also told jurors during summations that the blast came at the very moment that the crowd around him had dissipated.

“If harming anyone other than himself was his intention, he missed the perfect opportunity,” she said.

“He chose the exact moment when he could take his own life without hurting anyone else.”

But prosecutors urged the jury to convict, citing a Facebook message Ullah posted right before the blast in which he said, “O Trump, you failed to protect your nation,” followed by the word “baqiah,” which prosecutors said was “a slogan for ISIS.”

“It was about martyrdom, not suicide,” prosecutor Shawn Crowley said during her closing arguments.

“Don’t let him run from what he has done.”

During the trial, NYPD Det. Daniel Byrne, who interrogated Ullah at Bellevue Hospital, testified that he admitted acting on behalf of the blood-thirsty terror group.

“I did it for the Islamic State. I did it for Allah,” Byrne said the cabbie-turned-electrician told him.

Outside court, juror Linda Artis said she had no doubt Ullah detonated the device, but hadn’t been convinced he did it in the name of ISIS.

Artis, 38, said learning about Ullah’s remarks to the judge made her “feel a little bad.”

“Because that’s where I was on the fence for a long time,” she said.

Back