ISIS-inspired 'bad bitches' arrested in NYC 'bomb plot'

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
http://nypost.com/2015/04/02/2-women-inspired-by-isis-arrested-in-nyc-bomb-plot-sources/

ISIS-inspired ‘bad bitches’ arrested in NYC ‘bomb plot’
By Jamie Schram, Selim Algar and Bruce Golding
April 2, 2015 | 12:22pm

Two Queens women who declared themselves “citizens of the Islamic State” and wanted to become “real bad bitches” were busted Thursday in a plot to blow up Americans — possibly at a cop’s funeral — on behalf of the ISIS terror group, according to the feds.

One of the women, Asia Siddiqui, 31, stockpiled tanks of propane gas outside her basement apartment and “is currently in possession of instructions as to how to transform propane gas tanks into bombs,” court papers allege.

Siddiqui is also a former friend of the late Samir Khan, the onetime Queens resident who published an online magazine for al Qaeda before getting killed by a US drone strike in Yemen in 2011, and once sent a letter of support to Mohammad Mohamud, who’s imprisoned for trying to blow up a Christmas tree-lighting ceremony in Portland, Ore., court papers say.

Co-defendant Noelle Velentzas, meanwhile, has repeatedly said that Osama bin Laden is among her heroes and kept a photo of the Sept. 11 mastermind holding an AK-47 as the background image on her cellphone, according to a complaint filed in Brooklyn federal court.

Last year, Velentzas, 28, allegedly “pulled a knife from her bra and demonstrated how to stab someone” during a meeting among her, Siddiqui and an undercover officer.

“Velentzas added, ‘Why can’t we be some real bad bitches?’ and stated that people needed to refer to them as ‘citizens of the Islamic State,'” the complaint says.

According to the feds, Siddiqui and Velentzas are former roommates who have been scheming to attack America since at least May 2013.

During a series of conversations with the undercover officer, they dicussed previous plots, including the Oklahoma City bombing and the failed car bombing of Times Square.

Last year, Velentzas and the undercover also rehashed the Dec. 20 murders of NYPD cops Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu, with Velentzas allegedly saying that their shootings “showed that it was easy to kill a police officer.”

“She added that killing a police officer is easier than buying food, because sometimes one has to wait in line to buy food,” the complaint says.

About a week later, she also described Ramos’ funeral — which drew more than 25,000 cops from across the country — as an “attractive potential target,” repeatedly asking the undercover “if there were any ‘regular’ people at the funeral and how far away they were from the police,” the complaint says.

“Based on these statements, I believe that Velentzas was trying to evaluate whether a police funeral was an appropriate terrorism target,” FBI Agent Nicholas Hanak wrote.

Siddiqui and Velentzas were both charged with conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction inside the US, which carries up to life in the slammer.

They were expected in court later Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://nypost.com/2015/04/06/accused-bomb-plotters-husband-says-propane-tanks-were-for-barbecues/

Accused bomb plotter’s husband says propane tanks were for barbecues
By Beckie Strum
April 6, 2015 | 4:46am

abubakr9149.jpg
abubakr9149.jpg

Abu Bakr
Photo: John M. Mantel

The husband of accused ISIS-savage wannabe Noelle Velentzas insists she really loves America :rolleyes: — and says building bombs made out of gas tanks, fertilizer and a pressure cooker was the very furthest thing from her mind. :rolleyes:

The 51-year-old man, who uses the admitted alias Abu Bakr, was sure the propane tanks authorities found at the home of his wife’s alleged accomplice would never have been used for explosives.

“You can’t convince me that those propane tanks were going to be used for that because I know they were going to be used for barbecues,” he claimed.

And the pressure cooker federal agents confiscated?

“It was sitting here for eight months,” he said. “It was like, dirty. It had grease all over it.”

noelle.jpg
noelle.jpg

Noelle Velentzas

Velentzas did have an image of bin Laden on her phone, Abu Bakr conceded. :rolleyes: And he admitted her political views might even “raise a few eyebrows.” But he had an explanation for all of that, too. :rolleyes:

abubakr4285.jpg
abubakr4285.jpg

Abu Bakr displays his wife’s knife.
Photo: John M. Mantel

Her admiration for the man who attacked New York City is based only on the fact that he helped the Afghans to drive out the Russians.

“She doesn’t support 9/11,” the husband said. :rolleyes:

Prosecutors also confiscated cutlery and gardening equipment, not to mention two machetes.

But Abu Bakr says he can’t figure out why they bothered.

“They took two knives, which I had for more than 15 years,” he said. “They were in a box packed up. They also took two machetes I occasionally use . . . to clear yards and do gardening.” :rolleyes:

Federal agents arrested the 28-year-old Velentzas, and her pal, Asia Siddiqui, 31, on Thursday, based largely on recorded meetings they had with an undercover agent.
abubakr4299.jpg

Abu Bakr said he’d never believe the accusations against his wife.

“She couldn’t even hit the baby,” he said, referring to their 5-year-old daughter.

“I just want people to know that’s not her . . . She never had any intentions of hurting anybody. This is her country, these are her people,” he said. :rolleyes:

“She’s a role model for women who really, really want to live as God-fearing women,” Abu Bakr said proudly. “She’s passionate about her religion.”

Last edited by a moderator:
http://nypost.com/2015/05/07/isis-obsessed-nyc-women-plead-not-guilty-to-bomb-plot/

ISIS-obsessed NYC women plead not guilty to bomb plot
By Kathleen Culliton and Laura Italiano

A pair of ISIS-obsessed Queens women pleaded not guilty Thursday morning to plotting to detonate bombs in New York City — including one at the funeral of two NYPD cops who were gunned down in Brooklyn.

The two former roommates wore matching handcuffs and gray prison garb. But Noelle Velentzas, 28 — who calls Osama bin Laden one of her heroes — appeared the more unrepentant of the two as she was led into Brooklyn ​f​ederal ​c​ourt for the brief arraignment.

noelle.jpg

Noelle Velentzas

Velentzas held her head high, smiling and winking at three male supporters as she was led, rear-cuffed, into the courtroom. She spoke the words “Not guilty” calmly and clearly, and made a kissing motion with her lips toward her pals ​in the gallery ​as she was led out again.

Velentzas made regular bus trips to Manhatta​​n to scope out potential terror targets, including 14th Street and Third Avenue in Manhattan, sources have told The Post. “It’s war; it’s f—ing war,” she raged during one recorded meeting with an undercover agent, the FBI alleges.

Her co-defendant, Asia Siddiqui, 31, hung her head sullenly, and her own “Not guilty” could barely be heard. She wrote a poem in which she hoped infidels would “taste the Truth through fists and slit throats,” and had repeated contact with members of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, offering her support for violent jihad, court papers charged.

The two will remain held without bail until their next court date, May 20.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/23/isis-inspired-queens-women-plead-guilty-to-nyc-bomb-plot/

ISIS-inspired Queens women plead guilty to NYC bomb plot
By Andrew Denney
August 23, 2019 | 2:22pm | Updated

Two al Qaeda and ISIS-inspired women from Queens who blabbed to an undercover federal agent for months about their plans to build bombs to set off in New York City gave up on their not guilty pleas on Friday and copped to a charge that could land them in prison for up to 20 years.

Noelle Velentzas, 31, and Asia Siddiqui, 35, both pleaded guilty on Friday before a federal judge in Brooklyn to attempting to build a weapon of mass destruction from 2013 up until their arrests in 2015.

During that time, they were plotting jihad, researching how to make car bombs and taking a trip to Home Depot in Queens to browse for materials to make explosives with a woman they knew as “Mel” — who was actually an undercover agent who caught them talking about their murderous fantasies on tape.

“Noelle, Mel and I discussed the need to prepare for jihad,” Siddiqui told Brooklyn federal Judge Sterling Johnson Jr., reading from a prepared written statement.

The two women taught each other chemistry and electrical skills that could be used to build bombs — and drew inspiration from horrific terrorist attacks launched on US soil, like the 1993 World Trade Center bombing and the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing.

“Velentzas and Siddiqui were intent on waging violent jihad here in the United States, researching at length historical terrorist attacks on U.S. soil, educating themselves on how to turn propane tanks into explosive devices, and dreaming up plans to kill Americans on our own turf,” FBI Assistant Director-in-Charge William Sweeney said in a news release.

Saddiqui and Velentzas are due back in court for sentencing on Dec. 5 and Dec. 19, respectively.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/09/isis-fangirl-asia-siddiqui-gets-15-years-for-plotting-to-build-bomb/

ISIS fangirl Asia Siddiqui gets 15 years for plotting to build bomb
By Andrew Denney and Lia Eustachewich
January 9, 2020 | 12:41pm

asia-siddiqui-1.jpg
asia-siddiqui-1.jpg

Asia Siddiqui AP

An ISIS-obsessed Queens woman was sentenced Thursday to 15 years in prison — and threw herself a pity party in court for being “so stupid.”

Asia Siddiqui has been locked up since her 2015 arrest for allegedly plotting with her ex-roommate to set off explosives in New York.

“I’ve beaten myself up over and over for being so stupid,” an emotionless Siddiqui, 35, told Judge Sterling Johnson in Brooklyn federal court, as family members looked on from the gallery.

The twisted terrorist wannabe said her loneliness made her turn to writing poetry for the radical jihadist magazine Jihad Recollections.

“I still longed for someone to stumble upon my writing,” she said in court. “A normal person would not have seen that as an opportunity but I was far from normal. I was immersed in the web and had little life outside of it.”

Siddiqui’s lawyer Charles Swift argued for a sentence of 60 to 70 months, saying she played a minor role in the plot that never actually came to fruition.

“There’s a plot to build a bomb but no plan to use it,” he said.

Prosecutor Craig Huron, who asked for a 20-year sentence, countered by saying Siddiqui and Velentzas’ deadly intentions were clear.

“If the defendant had been successful to what she pleaded guilty to, a crime of violence could’ve been committed and people could’ve been killed,” Huron told Sterling. “We should take them at their word that they wanted to build a bomb and they intended to use it. These weren’t ephemeral remarks. This wasn’t a lark.”

The judge agreed.

“I always say wheels don’t run without spokes,” Sterling said.

Siddiqui and Velentzas, 32, — who called Osama bin Laden her hero and kept a photo of him on her cell phone — pleaded guilty to attempting to build a weapon of mass destruction in August.

“Why can’t we be some real bad bitches?” Velentzas once said in a meeting with an informant and Siddiqui, as she demonstrated stabbing someone.

The ISIS fangirls taught themselves chemistry and electrical skills to build bombs and researched potential targets for an attack, prosecutors said.

Court papers said the two women discussed possibly attacking the funeral for NYPD officer Rafael Ramos, who was assassinated alongside his partner Wenjian Liu in Bedford-Stuyvesant in 2014.

Velentzas will be sentenced on March 5.

Swift declined to comment outside court, as did Siddiqui’s family members.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/16/noelle-velentzas-sentenced-to-16-years-in-prison-for-nyc-bomb-plot/

ISIS fangirl sentenced to 16 years in prison for NYC bomb plot
By Ben Feuerherd
June 16, 2021 | 3:03pm | Updated

noelle-velentzas-main.jpg

Noelle Velentzas was sentenced to 198 months in federal prison for her role in a 2015 plot to build and set off bombs in New York.

An ISIS-obsessed woman from Queens who considered Osama bin Laden a personal hero was sentenced to more than 16 years in federal prison Wednesday after pleading guilty to a bomb-making charge nearly two years ago.

Before handing down the 198-month sentence, Brooklyn federal Judge Sterling Johnson called defendant Noelle Velentzas the “prime mover” and “brain” behind the plot she hatched with a friend to set off bombs in New York and kill police officers.

“She was the moving force behind this conspiracy,” Sterling added at the remote sentencing hearing.

Velentzas said in brief remarks that she took responsibility for her actions, then ranted about how she was driven to attempt to kill fellow Americans because of Islamophobia and “the sentiment that my religion needs to be defended.”

She added that she’s since learned to build a “higher self” and to not respond to discrimination by building bombs.

“I’m ready to go home and rebuild my life and rebuild my life with my daughter,” she said.

Velentzas was busted in 2015 for conspiring with her roommate, Asia Siddiqui, and a third woman they knew as “Mel” — who was actually an undercover law enforcement agent.

The pair taught each other bomb-making skills and discussed potential targets to attack, including the funeral for NYPD Officer Rafael Ramos, who was assassinated with his partner in Brooklyn soon before Christmas in 2014.

Velentzas drew inspiration from other terrorists and included bin Laden as one of her personal heroes, a prosecutor said at the sentencing Wednesday.

The would-be bomber even set the background of her phone to a picture of the 9/11 mastermind, which she at one point showed to the informant.

Islam is a gutter religion of fanatics!

Back