I wrote to a prisoner and fell in love – I flew 4,000 miles to see him

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

I wrote to a prisoner and fell in love – I flew 4,000 miles to see him​

By
Abigail Wilson, The Sun

December 13, 2021 12:44pm
Updated

Katie and Danny met after speaking online and have since fallen in love.
Katie and Danny met after speaking online and have since fallen in love. TikTok

Nowadays people tend to meet their partners in a variety of different ways – some at work, others from friends, many even through dating sites.
But one young woman has revealed she fell in love with a prisoner after writing him letters.
Katie, a young woman from the UK fell in love with US prisoner Danny after they started writing letters to each other.
And despite Danny being locked away, Katie flew 4,000 miles to meet him in person.
Katie decided to write a letter to inmate Danny on writeaprisoner.com and quickly fell in love with him.
Katie has created a dedicated TikTok account to sharing her relationship with Danny – @katiedanny12.
Her account has 21.6K and followers and 277.8K likes.
According to Katie, Danny has already served five years for offenses that allegedly include: “Armed robbery, possession of a firearm and possession of controlled substances”.
She explained that Danny still has three years inside – and she plans on waiting for him to come out.
Katie documented her journey to meet her long-distance lover behind bars and explained: “I wrote to a prisoner and accidentally fell in love.”
In one of Katie’s videos, we see the couple’s letters and the couple on a video call together.
Katie said: “He got my birthday tattooed on his ring finger.”
In another of Katie’s videos, we see her getting ready for her first in-person visit with Danny, which she described as “the best day EVER”.
After getting glammed up, Katie made her way to the prison where Danny is serving his eight-year sentence.
Katie looked overjoyed as she finally met her boyfriend.
In a series of pictures, Katie and Danny hug each other for the first time.
Katie opened up on her prison visit and said: “I was very, very, very nervous and anxious the whole drive there. I couldn’t breathe, I felt a bit sick.”
“I didn’t know fully what to expect when I got there.”
“I had to go through a metal detector, I had to change my top but I expected that anyway. This person came up behind me and it was Danny. It scared the life out of me.”
“Obviously I hugged him, we were hugging for ages.”
Katie shared her journey going to meet Danny for the first time.Katie shared her journey going to meet Danny for the first time.TikTok
“I thought I would cry but to be honest with you I was so happy I was just so excited.”
“We had four and a half hours for our visit.”
“We had loads of snacks out of the vending machines which was really nice. We got our photos – they were quite relaxed on the hand holding and stuff. And at the end, I got a kiss.”
“You’re not technically allowed but we did it anyway.”
“Best day ever.”
Katie then shared a series of emails from Danny after their visit.
Danny said: “Best day of my damn life. You are stunning, fun and funny! Beautiful! And best of all, you’re MINE, considering if you still have me?”
“I love you more after today. I wished I could have held you forever. You’re just everything I need in a wife and I promise to cherish you forever.”
In another of Katie’s videos, she revealed that Danny sent her one of his t-shirts in the post.
She shared herself opening the parcel and said: “I have been waiting for this. I’m so excited, I can’t wait to open it.”
“I feel like such a weirdo sitting on TikTok sniffing a t-shirt. By the way, the reason I have been going on about the smell is because I was telling him to wear it loads so that it smelt of him.”
Many TikTok users were thrilled for Katie that she had finally met Danny.
One person said: “Soooo pleased for you! What a beautiful couple you both make.”
Another added: “OMG OMGGGG!! so happy for you!!”
A third commented: “This made me so emosh.”

Back