France: Dozens killed in Bastille Day attack by Muslim Terrorist Mohamed Bouhlel

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
http://nypost.com/2016/07/14/truck-plows-into-crowd-celebrating-bastille-day/

Dozens killed in Bastille Day attack
By Bob Fredericks
July 14, 2016 | 5:45pm | Updated

cnwpe7jw8aassll1.jpg

Photo: Christopher Williams

A tractor trailer plowed into a large crowd leaving a fireworks display in the French Riviera town of Nice on Bastille Day Thursday, killing at least 60 and injuring more than 100 in what authorities are investigating as yet another possible terror attack on French soil.

The carnage sent the crowd that had gathered for the national holiday festivities into a panic, with people streaming from the scene into the streets as gunfire broke out.

Police and ambulances went to the scene and authorities from the local Alpes-Maritimes prefecture urged residents to stay indoors.

An AFP reporter described seeing a white truck driving at high speed onto the famed Promenade des Anglais as people were leaving after the annual Bastille Day fireworks.

“We saw people hit and bits of debris flying around,” he said.

Witnesses said the truck rammed the crowd where it was most concentrated at more than 30 mph, and photos shown on television showed the cab riddled with bullets. Other reports said the driver was pulled from the truck and beaten.

A witness reported horrific scenes with “dead bodies everywhere” and distressing video footage emerged of people fleeing the promenade.

One eyewitness raised fears that the incident “had to be planned.”

“I’m in Nice and cannot describe the situation – scary awful. Dead bodies everywhere people killed in front of my eyes. Had to be planned,” the witness said, according to the UK Express.

A group of students described the horror.

“The fireworks ended, and we went back. I saw behind the wheel, the driver was deciding which way it was heading. The truck rolled on to the pavement,” one said.

“It happened two meters from us. I saw people lying on the ground, I saw a small child hit the earth.”

A reporter for the Nice Matin newspaper who was covering the celebrations added, “There are people in blood, probably full of wounded.”

Re: Dozens killed in Bastille Day attack

http://nypost.com/2016/07/15/bastille-day-attacker-was-a-delivery-driver-born-in-tunisia/

Bastille Day attacker was a delivery driver born in Tunisia
By Yaron Steinbuch
July 15, 2016 | 8:32am

ap1.jpg

Photo: AP

The man who carried out the murderous rampage in Nice has been identified as Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, a French-Tunisian petty criminal, according to reports.

The 31-year-old delivery driver, a resident of the French Riviera city :mad:, was found guilty in March of violent contact – but he had no known links to terrorism and had not been under surveillance, sources told the Telegraph.

“An operation is currently underway at the dead suspect’s home in Nice. It is being raided by officers,” an investigative source told the paper.

Lahouaiej–Bouhlel is believed to have rented the truck on Wednesday in a town near Nice, the Independent reported, citing local newspaper Nice Matin.

Authorities found his French ID card :mad: in the truck after it finally came to a stop.

Neighbors in his apartment block described him as a quiet loner.

He “seemed very weird,” a woman living in his apartment block said.

“He lived alone. He said very little to anyone and wasn’t very polite. He wouldn’t hold the door open for you,” she said.

Other neighbors in the working-class area of Nice also described him Friday as a loner with no visible religious affiliation.

Sebastien, who spoke on condition that his full name was not used, told Agence France-Presse that Lahouaiej-Bouhlel did not seem religious, often dressed in shorts and sometimes wore work boots.

He had a van parked nearby and owned a bike, which he brought up into his first-floor apartment.

A woman living on the ground floor said she had been concerned about Lahouaiej Bouhlel — “a good-looking man :rolleyes:who kept giving my two daughters the eye.” :mad:

He had been a father for three years, Nice Matin reported.

Back