Former local h.s football "star" charged in Armed

guru2000

Registered
Former Hylton star charged in armed robbery

By DAVID STEGON
dstegon@potomacnews.com
Wednesday, July 6, 2005

D.J. Walton, a former football star at C.D. Hylton High School, was charged with 12 felonies Sunday night after he and another man allegedly robbed four men at gunpoint in Dale City, a Prince William County police spokesman said.

Walton, 22, of 6122 Oust Lane was entering his senior season at Virginia Tech. He was arrested along with John Ivory Hudspeth, 22, of 12051 Bridle Post Place off Dumfries Road, after four men reported that they had been robbed at gunpoint, said Officer John Bogert, police spokesman.

Walton, who played football at Virginia Tech for the past four years, was subsequently dismissed from the team, said head coach Frank Beamer, according to a statement posted on the Virginia Tech Athletic Department's Web site Tuesday afternoon. B
eamer declined to comment further
on the situation.

Walton and Hudspeth were each charged with four counts of abduction, four counts of robbery and four counts of use of a firearm in commission of a felony, along with carrying a concealed weapon, a

misdemeanor. Walton was also charged with possession of marijuana.

Both are being held without bond at the Prince William-Manassas regional jail for a scheduled Sept. 9 court date.

Walton's family members also declined to comment.

Officers were investigating an armed robbery at a Sunoco Gas Station in the 5300 block of Dale Boulevard around 10:50 p.m. when the four men approached them and said they had just been robbed at gunpoint by two men, police said.

The victims said the two men, who they met at a party Saturday night in Gainesville, came up to them while they were in their car near the intersection of Queensdale Drive and Qualey Place and pointed guns at them, police said.

Walton and Hudspeth told the four
victims to get out of the car and put their hands in the air w
hile they took their money, police said.

"There were loads of officers in the area looking into that armed robbery when the victims came up," Bogert said. "Our officers thought it could have been the same guys, so they rushed away from the gas station to where the victims said the robbers were and arrested them."

Walton and Hudspeth are not suspects in the Sunoco robbery, Bogert said.

Walton was named the Potomac News & Manassas Journal Messenger All-Area Player of the Year his senior season at Hylton, where he was also named to several All-America teams, among other honors.

He accepted a full scholarship to Virginia Tech to play football but was redshirted his freshman year. He played in 14 games his sophomore year, primarily on special teams, but was arrested in February and in March for driving under the influence, according to court records found on the Virginia Judicial System Web site.
<b
r>Walton was dismissed from the team and from school and spent the 2003 fall semester at home workin
g for a construction company and working out in his spare time, as well as teaching football to children at Fort Belvoir.

Walton returned to school in January 2004 with a renewed enthusiasm and focused on changing his behavior, according to a story written April 24, 2004, in the Potomac News.

"They couldn't believe it," Walton said in that article of the people who saw what had happened to him. "They told me how stupid it was. I'm an adult, I know right from wrong. I made a mistake. All I can do is make sure it never happens again."

http://www.potomacnews.com/servlet/Satelli...783671542&path=

Back