Fatal Shooting of Teenigger at Area School

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/112204-hi...olshooting.html

Fatal Shooting at Area School

Strawberry Mansion area of Philadelphia Nov. 22, 2004 --A 16-year-old boy was shot and killed and two teenage girls were injured when gunfire erupted Monday afternoon outside a North Philadelphia high school, police said.

The slain teen [identified as Jalil White] is a student at Strawberry Mansion High School and the two girls are current students, authorities said.

Police said that the girls' injuries were not considered life threatening; one was grazed in the leg and the other shot in the arm.

More than a dozen shots were fired outside the school around 3 p.m., police said. Authorities said they were searching for a green Pontiac that witnesses reported the
shots were fired from, and a man witnesses saw running from the scene.

Copyright AP, 2004.

http://www.nbc10.com/news/3952741/detail.html

Teen Surrenders In Fatal Philadelphia School Shooting
Argument Over Rap Contest May Have Led To Incident

POSTED: 8:26 am EST November 28, 2004

PHILADELPHIA -- Police say a teen sought for allegedly killing a 10th grader as school let out at a North Philadelphia high school has surrendered.

Authorities say 16-year-old Desmond Keels, accompanied by a lawyer, turned himself in early Sunday morning at police headquarters.

He's suspected of exchanging gunfire with another teen Monday over a $50 debt that stemmed from a street rap contest.

The melee left 16-year-old Jalil Speaks dead and three others injured, including two female students who were shot.

Keels is facing murder and related charges.

In the wake of the
shootings, Mayor John Street and schools chief Paul Vallas are pledging renew
ed efforts to make city schools safer.

Funny thing, but teen suspect is held for trial in shooting death

Lawyer blames laughing fit on client's nervousness

By THERESA CONROY

conroyt@phillynews.com

Slouching back in the wooden chair, tugging at the peach fuzz emerging on his 16-year-old chin, a gangly Desmond Keels just couldn't stop laughing yesterday.

Not as he listened to witnesses describe the gun battle he allegedly had in November outside Strawberry Mansion High School. Not as lawyers argued over whether he should be put on trial in the murder of Jalil Speaks. Not even after the judge chided him for finding the sobering process so funny.

Keels' attorney, Michael Coard, said nervousness caused his client's outrageous courtroom behavior. Prosecutor Yvonne Ruiz didn't know
what to make of it, but it amazed her just the same.

Munici
pal Judge Jimmie Moore ordered Keels held for trial in the murder. He also held Keels for court for allegedly striking a 12th-grader in the back with a bullet, but dismissed charges related to three other students grazed when gunfire erupted outside the school on Nov. 22.

The District Attorney's Office said it would re-arrest Keels on two of those dismissed charges, charging him with aggravated assault.

"It's my position that my client's not only legally not-guilty, but factually innocent," Coard said after the hearing.

Coard added that he was "pleasantly shocked how weak the prosecution's case was."

Ruiz disagreed.

"I don't think my case was weak, and that's all I'm going to say," she said.

One witness, Habeeb Nolan, told police after the shooting that both Keels - also called "Rice" - and Speaks pulled out a gun and that they then be
gan firing at each other in the middle of 31st Street. On the witness stand, however, Nolan claimed that cops had "tried to put words in my mouth" dur
ing that statement about the shooting.

"Jalil [Speaks] pulled the gun out. He just started letting off in the crowd," Nolan testified.

Nolan said he ran when the shots were fired and didn't see anything else. When he returned to the scene - after the "coast was clear and everybody started running back" - he saw Speaks, a Strawberry Mansion sophmore, on the ground.

Police said Keels had shot Speaks over an unpaid $50 bet from a rap contest.

Nigger are too stupid to know when they're up sh*t's creek.

Police said Keels had shot Speaks over an unpaid $50 bet from a rap contest.

It's as good a reason as any for one nigger to shoot another.

T.N.B.

Back