Everett Arson Might Have Been Hate Crime

Hellcat

Registered
Everett Arson Might Have Been Hate Crime

July 9, 2004

By April Zepeda

EVERETT - Detectives are investigating whether an early Friday morning arson in Everett is actually a hate crime.

Whoever set a Middle Eastern grocery store on fire also left behind a message.

What's left of Continental Spices is burnt out and boarded up. As soon as fire fighters arrived, they could smell the gasoline. They found an empty gas and racist graffiti left behind.

Spray painted inside the Middle Eastern store were white crosses and the letters 'F U Arab.'

Co-owner Mirza Akram is still shaken. "Of course, of course, that's painful," s
id Akram.

But police say it's too early to tell the motive.

"The natural question is, 'Is it a hate crime?' Well we have some indicators," said Sgt. Boyd Bryant of the
Everett Police Department.

Akram, who is Pakistani, has lived in the area for years without any prob
lems, until now.

"To see this happen to him makes me sad. To think that it could be a hate crime... of all people... it's just sad," said customer Don Foster.

Investigators estimate the damage at $90,000. But many believe the loss is far greater.

"I look at this and this is this guy's whole life and it's now gone. This guy has to totally rebuild, for who knows why," said fire systems installer, Edward Graham.

The fire also damaged three neighboring businesses. But Continental Spices will stay closed indefinitely. At the 7-Eleven next door, a clerk born in India says he won't let it change his feelings about America.

&quot
;I still feel this is a great country. We have great people here. Just a few - you can count them on your fingers - can not spoil or damage the core values of this country," said store clerk Rupind
er Bedi.

Akram says he's not sure what to do now, so he's relying on his faith. "God will help me do something. He's the one who helps everybody. He will
help me," said Akram.

Police do not believe this fire is connected to the string of arsons in Everett that started June.

http://www.komotv.com/stories/32123.htm

Back