Disabled white grandmother beaten and robbed by black males

-88-

Registered
fb446800a45946498a21ff6160a198.jpg

Elderly Assault Victim Tells Her Story

A disabled Jackson widow is coming forward with her story of being attacked in her home three weeks ago. Martha Denson is the city's fourth elderly assault in the past few weeks. The South Jackson resident says the elderly are being targeted by juveniles, and she wants legislators to change the laws that protect young criminals.

Martha Denson's blood still remains on the front door of her Cooper Road home. She says two young black men, one a juvenile, kicked in her door in during the early morning hours on May 21st. Denson said, "We were fighting over the door. He was pushing in, and I was pushing out."

She and her nine year old granddaughte
r were inside. Her dog chased them out, but they forced their way back inside. Denson, who has lived in her home 18 years, has had surgery to replace both hips and knees.She says her attackers struck her repeatedly with a flashlight and a stick. The disabled 61 year old said, "It's not just for me. I want these hoodlums, I want them caught. I want them locked up, but on account of that they're minors."

They stole her purse, car keys, walker, crutches and her 1998 Crown Victoria, which Jackson police have recovered. The thieves cut her phone lines before breaking in, and she believes she saw them walking the neighborhood prior to the attack.

Jackson officers have arrested one juvenile in the case.

The District Attorney's Office has not received the case, but because they did not use a weapon, adult charges would be up to the youth court judge.

Hinds County Chief Asst. Attorney Robert Taylor said, "They can be certified up by youth court to the circuit court for us to deal wi
th them. The district attorney has told me she intends to seek their certification (as an adult)."

Jackson Ward 3 Councilman Kenny Stokes wants more done to protect elderly residents. Stokes said, "We are blessed to have a number of elderly people, 70 plus years in these inner city neighborhoods. God blessed them with life, and we can't let you thugs take that life away from them."

Denson wants laws strenthened to protect older citizens, especially those living alone. She said, "I'd like to have a sit-in. If they don't make me a law to cover these old people, I want to have a bunch of people go up there like they used to have in the 50's and 60's and demonstrate."

The Jackson grandmother has contacted her state representative and gone one step further. She says she now has a firearm and will use it if necessary.

Councilman Stokes will hold a community meeting Tuesday at 6 p.m. at the Antioch Missionary Baptist Church located at 3829 Comfort Street in Jackson's Georgetown
neighborhood.

-88- said:
The Jackson grandmother has contacted her state representative and gone one step further. She says she now has a firearm and will use it if necessary.

:clap: :Cheers: :clap:

South Jackson woman livid alleged attackers now free - photo of white woman holding 9mm at link -

A "for sale" signs sits in 61-year-old Martha Denson's front yard in south Jackson. She carries a 9mm handgun, rarely steps outside her front door and has panic attacks regularly.

Two Jackson teens are back out on the street five months after they were arrested and charged with robbing and beating her with a jagged stick and flashlight. Her 9-year-old granddaughter watched the bloody scene from a bedroom.

"I want to know why," Denson said. "I'm scared to even come out of my house now, knowing they're running around."

Sylvester Bracey and Arsenio Haynes, both 16 at the time, were arrested in August in connection with the crime and at least two other home invasions. Held at the detention center at Raymond, they were to be tried as adults.

Now both teens are back on the streets, despite a judge having denied bond for Bracey at a Jackson Municipal Court hearing in August. Denson is angry Bracey was released, but his attorney says it was negotiated to get him back in school. This is crazy! Niggers don't care about skewl!

Police say they think letting Bracey go could be the result of the continuing crisis for space in county facilities.

Jackson lawyer Aafram Sellers renegotiated Bracey's bond to $75,000 in a hearing before former County Court Judge Bill Gowan after Municipal Judge David Rozier denied it Aug. 30.

"It was more to keep him in school," Sellers said. "He's going to a Jackson alternative school now." Woopeee dooo, the nigger should be hanging from a tree, not in some funky alternative skewl.

For detectives working to get criminals locked up, it's hard to understand the accused being freed in cases of no bond, said Sgt. Jeffrey Scott, spokesman for the Jackson Police Department.

"We have some excellent judges over in the County Court. Let me make that clear," Scott said. "If anything, this just demonstrates the need for jail space in Hinds County, and a judge's hands are tied when it comes to that."

For months, Jackson officials have complained about Hinds County's crowded facilities, saying they release 50 to 60 of those arrested each weekend because there is no place to put them.

Denson now is like many of the older homeowners in her neighborhood - they stay armed; they stay suspicious; and if they had the means, they'd move. Stuck in the Congo!

The attack on Denson in May was the first in a series of brutal home invasions in Jackson spanning the past nine months.

Early one morning, the intruders cut the telephone line outside Denson's home on Cooper Road, busted down the door and demanded money, she said.

"I told them to take everything and get the hell out," she said.

On May 26, Hubert Hinkebein, 92, who lived minutes away from Denson on Sykes Park Drive, was beaten and robbed.

Days later, 73-year-old Elizabeth Winter was bound to a kitchen chair and placed in a bathtub in her house on Mikell Street.

Bracey and Haynes were each charged with four felony counts in the crimes.

Though The Clarion-Ledger has a standing public records request with the city of Jackson for weekly crime statistics, none has been handed over since Nov. 5. However, statistics through November showed house burglaries, auto theft and grand larceny were among the offenses on the rise.

"I think my father still worries about this," said Greg Hinkebein, Hubert Hinkebein's son and a former Appeals Court judge. "That kind of trauma isn't easily forgotten."

He has since moved his father out of the neighborhood. Denson said she heard Winter's daughter moved her out as well.

Denson will be the last of the three to leave. "How has this affected me? My life is totally different," she said. "I can't even have my granddaughter over."

Things started getting worse in south Jackson about 10 years ago, said Bill Stidham, 71, chairman of the security committee for the Alta Woods Neighborhood Association.

"Most of those who could moved out, selling their homes for lower than they were appraised at," he said. "I've considered it and have not ruled it out." White flight denied!

Stidham keeps a .38-caliber pistol for protection.

Eularene Burnham, 91, who was burglarized last week while she slept, hasn't ruled out moving, either.

"We just don't know what we're going to do yet," said Burnham, who also lives in south Jackson and keeps a 20-gauge shotgun, stolen in the robbery and later recovered, by the bed.

It's just time to leave, Denson said. "This is something I'll never forget, but there is no sense in being scared forever," she said. "I want to move to be with my family."

Clutching her pistol, she said she'd rather not share what county her family lives in - just in case.

Back