Deranged NYC subway rider shot with own gun will be charged if he survives — as cops hunt for woman who stabbed him

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Deranged NYC subway rider shot with own gun will be charged if he survives — as cops hunt for woman who stabbed him​

By
Social Links for Steven Vago

Published March 21, 2024, 2:46 p.m. ET

Warning: Graphic Content

The unhinged fare-beater shot in the head with his own gun on a rush-hour Brooklyn train last week will face criminal charges if he survives, police said Thursday.
Dajuan Robinson, 36, remains hospitalized at New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital in critical but stable condition, and is breathing through a tube, NYPD Chief of Detectives Joseph Kenny told reporters.
If he pulls through, Robinson will be charged by cops with criminal possession of a weapon, Kenny said.
Dajuan Robinson, who was shot with his own gun on a Brooklyn train last week, will be charged with a crime if he survives, according to police. 5
Dajuan Robinson, who was shot with his own gun on a Brooklyn train last week, will be charged with a crime if he survives, according to police.
Robinson was shot four times and stabbed during the fight. 5
Robinson was shot four times and stabbed during the fight.
Robinson is in critical, but stable condition at New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital. 5
Robinson is in critical, but stable condition at New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital.

Robinson was shot four times — twice in the head, once in the chest and once in the stomach — when 32-year-old dad-of-two Younece Obuad wrestled the pistol away from him during the terrifying March 14 incident on an A train, according to police and video.

Police are still searching for a woman who was with Obuad and who stabbed Robinson in the back during the fracas — saying Thursday that cops only know her by her nickname, “Unique.”
Once cops identify her, the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office will determine whether she should be charged. A DA spokesman previously said Obuad wasn’t facing charges because it appeared he acted in self-defense.
The fight erupted after Robinson accused Obuad and the woman who was with him of being migrants.

“He thinks we’re migrants,” the woman said to Obuad moments before the two men tussled, according to police.

As the pair grappled, she pulled a sharp object from her bag and plunged it into Robinson’s back twice, Kenny said.

“You stab me?” Robinson said after the stabbing as blood seeped through his shirt, according to bystander video.

The fight started after Robinson accused Younece Obuad and the woman he was with of being migrants. 5
The fight started after Robinson accused Younece Obuad and the woman he was with of being migrants.
“Oh, you stabbed me? I’ll lock you up when you get off!” an enraged Robinson yells at them.

“You stabbed me, right? You stabbed me? You stabbed me?” Robinson continues to scream at them while grabbing a gun from his jacket and charging at the two.

The deranged rider — who was caught on surveillance footage entering the subway system via an emergency exit door — pulled out the pistol as he and Obuad fought, sending terrified straphangers ducking for cover during the evening rush hour.

Robinson will be charged with criminal possession of a weapon if he recovers. 5
Robinson will be charged with criminal possession of a weapon if he recovers. Robert Mecea
Obuad then wrestled the gun from his hands, opening fire on Robinson as the train pulled into the Hoyt-Schermerhorn station police said.

“The investigation into this tragic incident is ongoing but, at this stage, evidence of self-defense precludes us from filing any criminal charges against the shooter,” Oren Yaniv, a spokesman for the Brooklyn DA’s office, in an e-mailed statement last week.

Back