Cotton picking nigger's trial delayed to Feb 14

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter
William Cotton
article_73386.jpg

Arrested For Extortion In Operation Tennessee Waltz

County Commissioner William Cotton was arrested on extortion charges by federal authorities late Thursday morning in the Operation Tennessee Waltz scandal.

He was taken in handcuffs to the Federal Courthouse.

Cotton was charged with taking a bribe to get a resolution passed on the County Commission dealing with the E-Cycle firm getting outdated equipment from the county. E-Cycle turned out to be a bogus company set up by the FBI.

He faces up to 20 years in federal prison.

Cotton, still in

handcuffs, appeared before Magistrate Susan Lee at 2 p.m. along with his attorney
s, Hank Hill and Mike Little. Attorney Hill said they were making a limited appearance and had not finalized arrangements. Cotton said he needed a month to do so, but Magistrate Lee said he would have to be ready by his next hearing on Oct. 14 at 2 p.m.

The charges were brought on a criminal complaint. They are expected to be taken to a federal grand jury on Oct. 12.

Cotton was released after the initial appearance. Magistrate Lee told him he has to get rid of any guns he may own.

The arrest came shortly after he attended a County Commission meeting.
He was followed to his home in Alton Park by a convoy of officers.

FBI Agt. Scott Barker said in an affidavit that E-Cycle represented itself to Cotton and others that it was in the business of obtaining and disposing of outdated electronic equipment and sending it out of the country for salvage.

He noted that former County School Board mem
ber
Charles Love, a longtime close associate of Cotton, was introduced to an agent posing as an E-Cyc
le official. Love was indicted earlier in the sting, and he pleaded guilty. He is awaiting sentencing.

Agt. Barker said last Dec. 16, the undercover agent and Love had a meeting to discuss how E-Cycle could procure a resolution from the Hamilton County Commission to obtain the county's outdated equipment.

He said Love "indicated Cotton was the person they needed on the County Commission to make sure E-Cycle obtained the resolution from the County Commission giving E-Cycle the ability to salvage Hamilton County's outdated electronic equipment."

The agent said on Jan. 16, Love and Cotton had a phone conversation in which they discussed E-Cycle wanting a resolution from the County Commission. Love told Cotton he had told E-Cycle it would take $1,600 to $1,700 to get started in Hamilton County. Love had previously told the undercover agent it would take $3,5
00 to g
et Cotton's support for the E-Cycle resolution, the agent said.

Agt. Barker said on Jan. 20, Love, Cotton and the
undercover agent met for lunch at the Southside Grill. During lunch, the undercover agent passed a white envelope that contained $3,500 to Love. After lunch in the parking lot of the Southside Grill, Love was observed removing $1,750 of the money from the envelope and placing the money in his pocket.

The envelope with the remaining $1,750 was given to Cotton, Agt. Barker said.

Agt. Barker said he and FBI Agt. Jeffrey Blanton watched Love remove the money from the envelope.

Immediately after Cotton drove away from the restaurant, Love telephoned Cotton and told him he needed to thank the E-Cycle official. Cotton said, "I appreciate your help. You have a friend for life, doc."

The undercover agent thanked Cotton for his support of the proposed resolution, and the undercover agent told him if there was anything else he needed
to let him
know.

On Jan. 25, Love and Cotton had a phone conversation setting up meetings with other county officials to advance the business of E-C
ycle in the county.

Cotton said, "You go ahead and tell your boys to get ready to bring their package in here. I hope it is bigger than the first one."

On Jan. 29, Love and Cotton had a phone conversation in which Cotton told Love not to take money from the undercover agent at the table like he did the last time.

Cotton: The next time that guy wants to do what he did last time at the table, don't take it that way, Charles. Go to the bathroom or whatever, get in the car and ride or whatever. That was too open. They should have did it before you sat at the table. If they say anything like that, just say, well the commissioner is very funny about things being passed around.

Love: That is why I had him call and you say I appreciate it. See what I am saying? That is the way it is supposed to be done. You ain't
supposed to wit
ness s---?

Cotton: Right, I was supposed to say I appreciate lunch.

Love: Yeah, you ain't suppose to witness a d--- thing.

Cotton: That's right.

Love: If you
are ever called to testify, you can say with the truth, I ain't seen nothing.

Cotton: You can always say it wasn't that. When it is open like that, remember now that is how they got Gass. (Charles Gass was a County Commissioner who was convicted for a Hobbs Act extortion in 1988, federal authorities noted)

On Feb. 21, Cotton and Love met the undercover agent at the E-Cycle office in Nashville. The purpose was to pay Cotton $6,000 for his continued support of E-Cycle obtaining the resolution from Hamilton County.

During the meeting, the following conversation occurred:

Undercover Agent: Charles has indicated to us you want to help out.

Cotton: Right.

Undercover Agent: We've shown you our gratitude in the past, and I guess from my understanding
that gratitude was
for a favorable vote if it comes across the County Commission.

Cotton: So we stay legal. It is something we would like to do. We have to be careful how we say it. I am in the legal committee, so I will make sure it
gets through for a final vote when it gets to my committee. It will go through unless I get struck by lightning.

The undercover agent told Cotton that Joe Carson (who was posing as the president of E-Cycle) has to be happy that E-Cycle is going to get their money's worth from the commissioner.

Cotton: I will do my part.

Undercover Agent: That was your understanding that it was going to six ($6,000)?

Love: Give it to me, and I will give it to him later. He don't see it.

Undercover Agent: I want to make sure he is a happy man.

Cotton: I am always happy. I am cool with it.

Undercover Agent: Will Joe be alright with you (Love) getting the money?

Love: Yes, because he knows that he (Cotton) is going to ge
t the money.

Cot
ton: I'm alright. I'm straight.

Love: It can't be said you gave it to him.

Cotton left the room and the undercover agent told Love that Cotton would need to confirm over the telephone that he had received the money just as Cotton had done on Jan.
20. Love told the undercover agent that Cotton would call him in a few minutes. Shortly after Cotton and Love left the E-Cycle office, Cotton called the undercover agent and the following conversation occurred:

Cotton: I want to thank you very much for everything you have done. I'm looking forward to working with you and getting your proposal through as soon as I get it. We can move on from there."

Undercover Agent: Sounds good, sir. Thank you.

Cotton: I feel good with this and let's make it happen.

Undercover Agent: I just wanted to make sure Charles is showing our appreciation towards you.

Cotton: I appreciate that too, sir.

The FBI said Cotton received &#036
;3,000 and Love got $3
,000 from the $6,000 given Love by the undercover agent.

Wake up America and smell the Chattanigga!

T.N.B.

Cotton Can Stay On Commission If He Chooses

County Attorney Rheubin Taylor said William Cotton can stay on the County Commission even though he was arrested by the FBI on Thursday morning for extortion.

Attorney Taylor said, "He can stay on unless he is convicted or pleads guilty."

The county attorney said if Commissioner Cotton decides to step down, then it will be up to the other eight members of the commission to name his replacement.

He represents District 4.

Cotton was released from custody early Thursday afternoon. He rushed past reporters into a waiting van without making any comment.

County Commissioner Curtis Adams, who often sparred with Cotton, said, "I regret this happened. I regret it for him and for his family.

"We
r
were political enemies for 12 years, but it was never personal. It was over issu
es."

Commissioner Adams said, "When something like this happens, it is a black eye for the entire commission."

Commissioner Fred Skillern said the arrest "is a black mark against the whole commission."

He said when he was chairman, he had been approached about E-Cycle, but "I refused to meet with them."

Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman Stuart James had this statement:

"As chair of the Hamilton County Democratic Party I am once again deeply saddened to hear of another arrest in the Tennessee Waltz. The latest news of the arrest of William Cotton for taking bribes as a government official affects our community, our government, and both the Democratic and Republican Party of this community. It seems news of corruption affects our local community, our state government and our nation - particularly with yesterday's news of the indic
tme
nt against U.S. Rep. Tom Delay.

"However, as I have said when I learned of the news to the indictments of state Rep. Chris Newton a
nd state Sen. Ward Crutchfield - an indictment is a charge, it is not a conviction. Under our Constitution, all people are presumed innocent until proven guilty. The presumption of innocence is one of the greatest protections our Constitution gives to the citizens of our country. From William Cotton to Tom Delay the same standards apply.

"As we learn of this latest news, this is the time when the political parties of our community must ask for meaningful and enforceable ethics reform. As chairman of the Hamilton County Democratic Party I believe it is time for the Republican Party and our party to come together, to unite, and ask our governor, our Legislature, and the United States government to enact meaningful reform. We must take affirmative action to restore the faith and confidence that government needs from its people.

"As I have s
aid in
the past, an indictment does not mean you are guilty. If, however, an elected official chooses to plead guilty I do believe that that elected official shou
ld immediately resign. If, however, an elected official proclaims his or her innocence that official has the option to remain in office until convicted or acquitted. I do believe, however, it is important for an elected official to weigh his or her alternatives when they are facing the serious charges. True leadership requires decisions to be made on behalf of the public good, placing the public good before an individual elected official

Cotton Disputes School Architect Selection

Charges of racism echoed through the Hamilton County Commission Chamber again this morning.

Commissioner William Cotton is upset because none of the architects selected to build or construct additions to several new schools in Hamilton County are African American.

Last week the Commission voted 8-0 awarding the architect contracts for five new school and two building additions to 5 contractors.

But Wednesday Commissioner Cotton complained that the only African American Contractor who applied, did not make the cut.

" This was not fair and this was not equal Mr. Mayor I am not tryin

g to showboat and this is the fifth time this has happened to me . It happened at H
oward and I bought it up then you told me that when it came around again it would be fair. Again, it is not fair."

The County mayor denied that the selection process was not fair.

Mayor Ramsey also had strong words for the Commissioner's other allegation.
"You asked if he is being blackballed by the county. No absolutely not and I resent anybody saying that."

Ramsey said he was not pleased with Architect Reggie Ruff's performance on precious county projects and that's the reason he was not selected.

We called Mr Ruff and tried to talk to him on camera.

He declined to do so but says he has never heard any complaint from the county about his work.

Niggaz wants dey skewls built from mud and sticks, just like dey do it in Afreaka, knowha'm'say'n.

T.N.B.

Cotton Trial Put Off Until Valentine's Day

The bribery trial for County Commissioner William Cotton has been put off until Valentine's Day, Feb. 14.

Federal Judge Curtis Collier sustained a defense motion to delay the case, which had been set for trial on Dec. 19.

Cotton is charged with conspiracy to commit extortion and two counts of extortion in the Tennessee Waltz sting by the FBI. He faces up to 20 years on each count if convicted.

Motions must be filed in the case by Dec. 23.

The deadline for plea bargaining is Jan. 17.

Judge Collier will conduct the final pretrial conference on Feb. 13 at 9:30 a.m. The trial is due to start the next day at 9:30 a.m.

The trial of Sen. War

d Crutchfield, who is also charged in the Tennessee Waltz sting, has also been put off until
after the first of the year. That case is being handled in Memphis.

Attorneys Hank Hill and Mike Little represent Cotton.

Cotton, who entered not guilty pleas, has continued to serve on the County Commission despite the arrest.

State prosecutors have also been looking into his 2002 District 4 County Commission election that he narrowly won over challenger Warren Mackay.

Wake up America and smell the nigger.

T.N.B.

Back