Boy, 14, killed in possible accidental shooting in Bronx after playing with gun with friends: cops

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Boy, 14, killed in possible accidental shooting in Bronx after playing with gun with friends: cops​

By
Amanda Woods and

Oumou Fofana

August 11, 2022 11:54am
Updated

Male teen shot dead inside Bronx apartment building on Aug. 11

0:00
/
0:30

A 14-year-old boy was accidentally shot dead in the lobby of a Bronx apartment building Thursday – and cops are probing whether he and his friends were playing with the gun when it went off, authorities said.
The teen, identified by police as Jacob Borbin, 14, was shot in the chest in the lobby of the building at East 194th Street and Briggs Avenue in Fordham Manor just after 1 a.m., cops said.
Borbin, who lives more than two miles away in the Morris Park neighborhood, was taken to St. Barnabas Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police said.
An officer investigates in front of the East 194th Street and Briggs Avenue building where Jacob Borbin, 14, was fatally shot.Cops are looking into whether a group of people were in the lobby – playing around with a gun – when it accidentally went off, striking Borbin.Seth Gottfried
Investigators are looking into the possibility that there was a group of people in the lobby playing with the gun when the deadly shot rang out and hit the teenager, cops said.
No arrests were immediately made.
“I never felt safe in New York but as of today I definitely don’t feel safe in my own building. I’m afraid,” one building resident told The Post as cops continued to investigate at the scene on Thursday afternoon.
Police respond to the scene where Jacob Borbin, 14, was shot and killed inside a building at East 194th Street and Briggs Avenue.No arrests were immediately made in connection to the teen’s death. Seth Gottfried Officials investigate near the scene of the fatal shooting in the Bronx.Officials investigate near the scene of the fatal shooting in the Bronx.Seth Gottfried
“I have to be afraid. This is senseless,” the resident said. “No mother should have to bury their son because he was shot and killed and a lot of parents have been doing this lately.”
Pamala Santiago, who lives across the street, decried the neighborhood gun violence.
“Something is always happening in The Bronx,” Santiago said. “Why do people carry guns and play with them? Guns are not toys,” Santiago said. “Guns are dangerous. Guns take lives. Little kids shouldn’t have access to guns.”

Bronx Borough President Vanessa Gibson tweeted about the shooting, saying an investigation was underway.

“A mother has received the worst phone call on the loss of her child,” she wrote. “Just unbelievable and happening far too often. Pray for this family.”

Back