Boon Preacher rapes 15 yr old girl

Gman

News Editor
Preacher Gets 10 Years Of Probation, Fine For Sex Crime

4508285.jpg

SAN ANTONIO -- A former San Antonio preacher was sentenced Tuesday to 10 years of probation and a $10,000 fine for raping a 15-year-old girl.

Duane Hammons

On Friday, a jury found Duane Hammons, 47, guilty of four counts of sexual assault and two counts of indecency with a child.

His victim, now 27, said Hammons' punishment should have been more severe.

"It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I know that God is a just God and he'll get his punishment in due time -- whether it be jail time or probation," said Nailah Coggins.

Coggins told jurors that Hammons, her pastor, took advantage of her ne
ed for counseling by sexually assaulting her.

She testified that Hammons picked her up at school during the lunch hour and would take her
to a motel during several occasions in 1993 and 1994.

Coggins' mother addressed Hammons in court on Tuesday.

"I don't want your daughter or wife to go through the hell I've been through," said Dorothea Thompson. "I watched her life deteriorate because of you."

Hammons' wife, Melanie, is a principal at San Antonio's Sam Houston High School.

"Right now, I just have to take care of my children," said Melanie Hammons. "What you hear isn't always the facts. I have to focus on family now and get back to my job."

Going to a boon for counseling is asking to be raped. These dark demons are a TNB episode waiting to happen.

Gman

Back