Blacks Attack Asiatics in Madison, WI!

D

Dartagnan

w.nbc15.com/2022/06/17/after-alleged-attack-rally-against-asian-hate-set-friday-evening/

Protesters march against Asian hate after alleged attacks in downtown Madison

An alleged attack on a man who was walking in downtown Madison recently is the third such instance in the past two weeks, the Madison Police Dept. reported.

Published: Jun. 17, 2022 at 11:41 AM MDT|Updated: 21 hours ago

MADISON, Wis. (WMTV) - Protesters marched down State Street Friday after alleged attacks of Asian students at and around UW-Madison campus.

Organizers behind the Rally Against Asian Hate in Madison wrote on Facebook that on June 14, a male PhD student was “randomly attacked by five young male strangers.”

They continued in their post, “Incidents with such racist nature are not something new on campus.”

Protesters met on Capitol Square at 4 p.m. and walked to the Library Mall.

“I felt really sad and so scared myself,” Karisa Liu said, who knows of the victim, said. “He was just a student walking back to his apartment from the [gym] after working out.”

The 5th-year PhD student shared photos of his face after the alleged attack, showing blood around his ear and nose. He did not want to be identified.

He confirmed with NBC15 that the Madison Police Department is investigating his case.

Police wrote Friday that the battery took place on June 14 on the 400 block of W. Gilman Street. The victim was allegedly kicked and punched while on the ground.

MPD wrote in a statement to NBC15 Friday, in part: “Detectives have no information to believe Tuesday’s attack was racially motivated. No comments or remarks were directed at the victim at the time of Tuesday’s attacks.”

The UW-Madison Police Department told NBC15 the same persons of interest were believed to be involved in a separate incident Tuesday night.

“When they saw me they used banana to hit my back,” Curtis Wang, a UW-Madison student, said. “They used all their force to hit my back. At that moment, I [felt pain] and shocked because I didn’t even know people were going to hit me.”

Wang said he was walking home from the Memorial Union when the group approached him.

Campus police said they believe this was a random act and not racially motivated.

The university and UWPD shared a joint statement Friday, in part: “While we don’t have evidence these incidents were motivated by race, we know that each time incidents like these occur, it has an impact on the well-being of all our students, and particularly our Asian, Pacific Islander and Desi American students, faculty, and staff, and other communities of color. We are committed to creating a safe community at UW–Madison where everyone feels they belong, and we know we have more work to do.”

Back