BLACK OR BROWN ON WHITE: SoCal repo man killed on the job, suspect at large; Compton demographics has both ethnic groups.

Arheel's Uncle

Senior Reporter

Southern California repo man killed on the job, suspect at large

Story by Vivian Chow • 48m
Loved ones are devastated and searching for answers after a man was shot and killed Tuesday while on the job.

AA1lAn8K.img

The victim, Blaine LaPrairie, 46, worked as a repo man and was repossessing a vehicle when a suspect opened fire and shot him.

Loved ones describe Blaine as a big-hearted, kind and thoughtful man.

“He was a very sweet soul and he would do anything for you,” said Ryan LaPrairie, Blaine’s older brother.

Blaine was repossessing a car at the Jasmine Garden Apartment complex in Compton when he was murdered.

“I can’t believe he’s gone,” Ryan said tearfully. “I really can’t. And I don’t know what I’m going to do about it. I don’t know how I’m going to get by. I go to sleep crying and I wake up and realize what’s happening and I go and cry again.”

Protesters calling for ceasefire in Gaza block roads near LAX

Both Ryan and Blaine drove two trucks for Nation’s Recovery Services, Inc., a business in South El Monte.

“We worked together side by side for 17 years, in different tow trucks, but we worked the same hours at the same time,” Ryan said.

The night Blaine was killed, Ryan had traveled to Orange County for a repossession job while Blaine headed to South L.A.

Despite being veterans of the job, Ryan said he and his brother were aware of the dangers surrounding their specific career.

SoCal street vendor activist arrested, accused of manipulating social media videos

“We talked about this all the time,” Ryan said. ”This was one of the fears he had, to die the way he actually died.”

Despite wearing a protective vest, Blaine, a jiu-jitsu black belt, died from a single gunshot wound.

Ryan said he now lives with guilt over not taking the South L.A. assignment that night.

“If you love someone, let them know all the time because if you don’t, one day you won’t be able to do it,” he said. “And you’re going to hate yourself for it.”

Blaine was reportedly wearing a body camera when he was killed and there are cameras installed on his tow truck that investigators are likely reviewing.

The shooter has not been identified and no arrests have been made so far. The case remains under investigation.

A GoFundMe page has been created to help Blaine’s family with funeral expenses.

Last edited:
Blaine was repossessing a car at the Jasmine Garden Apartment complex in Compton

Jasmine Garden Apartments - Compton, CA | Zillow

Jasmine Garden is a 164 unit project based section 8 community in Compton, CA. The community sits on over 13 acres of land so all of our 65 buildings are spaced out comfortably. In addition, our professional on-site staff is available to assist you 5 days a ...

Homicides are rampant there in Compton hood, all black or Latino victims, a couple Asians.

Last edited:

CUCollector/CURepossession

834 followers

Repo Agent Murdered in Compton Compton, CA – December 13, 2023 – A 20-year veteran repossession agent was gunned down outside of his truck during a repossession in the south-central Los Angeles city of Compton. Blaine La Prairie was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital after being found with a gunshot wound to the torso. Blaine was a family man and a longtime employee of Nations Recovery of El Monte, California. #murder #repossession #fundraiser https://lnkd.in/d3xD9R-t

Repo Agent Murdered in Compton​

Editor December 14, 2023

Repo Agent Murdered in Compton

Repo Agent Murdered in Compton​

Compton, CA – December 13, 2023 – A 20-year veteran repossession agent was gunned down outside of his truck during a repossession in the south-central Los Angeles city of Compton. Blaine La Prairie was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital after being found with a gunshot wound to the torso. Blaine was a family man and a longtime employee of Nations Recovery of El Monte, California.
Blaine La Prairie
According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, the unnamed repossession agent was found with a gunshot wound to his torso at about 11:09PM on Tuesday night at the 600 block of West Corregidor Street between South Center Avenue and Alondra Boulevard.
Personnel from the Compton Fire Department arrived and transported La Prairie to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.
According to sources, the incident occurred during the repossession of a green Honda. One well known California agency owner arrived at the scene of the murder just as police were towing the agent’s tow truck away.
It is reported by sources that Blaine was shot outside of his truck, indicating some sort of altercation with a borrower or others.
The Sheriff’s Department has yet to provide any additional details or information about potential suspects. They withheld La Prairie’s identity from the public as they investigate the killing.
No suspect is named, but it is likely that detectives have a suspect and are actively searching for them.

Officials have appealed to the public for assistance. “Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500,” the department’s press release stated. For those wishing to remain anonymous, “Crime Stoppers” can be contacted by calling (800) 222-TIPS (8477) or by using their website or mobile apps.
The agency owner and his company are still trying to digest this tragic loss. This was a long-time employee and, according to an agent from a different company, the victim was not one to take unnecessary risks.
A GoFundMe site has been started by his coworkers at Nation’s Recovery.

Give To Support Blaine’s Family Here!

In Memory of Blaine LaPrairie -Supporting the Family of a Fallen Repossessor
Dear friends, colleagues, and community members,
It is with heavy hearts that we come together to remember and honor the life of our beloved colleague, Blaine LaPrairie, who tragically lost his life as a dedicated repossession professional. Blaine was not only a valued employee but a cherished member of our work family, and his absence leaves a void that can never be filled.
Blaine dedicated his career with unwavering dedication and professionalism. Unfortunately, he paid the ultimate price, leaving behind a grieving family who now faces not only the emotional burden but also the financial challenges that come with such a devastating loss.
This GoFundMe campaign has been created to provide support and relief to Blaine’s family during this incredibly difficult time. The funds raised will go towards covering immediate expenses, such as funeral costs, memorial services, and other financial comfort to the grieving family.
In memory of Blaine LaPrairie, let us come together as a community to support the family he leaves behind. Your generosity will not only help alleviate the financial burdens they face but will also serve as a testament to the impact Blaine had on our lives.
Thank you for your compassion and support during this difficult time.
Nations Recovery Services Inc.

Give To Support Blaine’s Family Here!

This marks the sixth repossession agent murdered on the job in 2023. I have done exhaustive research for my book on this topic and can find no other year that even comes close to the number of deaths in the field, in fact, this year surpasses some decades. As 2023 comes to an end, it is already the deadliest year in the history of the repossession industry.

Back