BLACK: Man, 64, arrested in Manhattan on DNA evidence from 1994 cold case strangulation deaths of BW 2 women: NYPD

Arheel's Uncle

Senior Reporter

Manhattan

Man, 64, arrested in Manhattan cold case strangulation deaths of 2 women: NYPD​

by: Aliza Chasan

Posted: Jan 23, 2023 / 04:31 PM EST

Updated: Jan 23, 2023 / 08:26 PM EST

AA16FrsK.img

Larry Atkinson, 64, is removed from the NYPD 50th Precinct station house in the Bronx, New York, on Monday, January 23, after being charged with a 1994 double murder.

Both victims were strangled in their bedrooms, officials said at the time.

Sarah Roberts’ body was found on a bed in one room of the apartment and her daughter Sharon’s was in a second bedroom — a woolen stocking wrapped around her neck.

Larry Atkinson, 64, was charged Monday with murdering the 57-year-old mother and her 25-year-old daughter inside their Grant Houses apartment on W. 125th St.

The suspect was dating the home health care aide who found the victims dead on Feb. 20, 1994, police sources said.

The aide was investigated at the time but cleared.

DNA recovered from the scene — a cigarette butt, tubing, a fingernail scraping from the mother and dried biological evidence from the daughter’s hand — did not initially link to any suspect.

But last year, an NYPD cold case detective took a fresh look at the crime, with the DNA again submitted for testing. The fingernail scraping and the dry biological evidence linked to Atkinson.

Atkinson, who has three aliases and 28 prior arrests and has served five stints in state prison, denied any wrongdoing when he was picked up.

After his arrest, the suspected killer, who lives in the Bronx, was taken to Bronx Care Health System, where he was scheduled for a chemotherapy treatment for cancer, sources said.

On Monday night, Atkinson was carried out of the 50th Precinct stationhouse strapped to a stretcher and wearing an oxygen mask. He was then loaded into an ambulance.

Cops said Atkinson claimed to have an injury and was headed to a hospital.

It was not immediately clear why he allegedly killed the victims or how he gained entry to their apartment.

The apartment had been partially ransacked, but there were no signs of forced entry. The caretaker, Celeste Cornelius, 65, who made the grisly discovery nearly 30 years ago, insisted Atkinson didn’t do it.

“He’s a good guy. He’s a good guy,” she said. ”He didn’t. I know he didn’t. I don’t care nothing about DNA — none of that mess. He didn’t do it.”

Atkinson’s parole ended in July 2016, three years after he was released from prison after serving two years for a drug sale conviction.

Neighbor Juliette Wilson, 84, said Cornelius and Atkinson were very nice people. They still live together, accord to residents.

“Yesterday he brought me packages, clothes for my daughter from Amazon,“ Wilson said. “He’s a good person. I’m surprised.”

In 1992, as Lee Jackson, he was convicted of attempted robbery and later paroled.

His first conviction, under his birth name, was in 1985 for assault. He served two years and was paroled in August 1987, records show.

With Mark Stamey

Last edited:

Ex-con Larry Atkinson charged in 1994 NYC double-slay claims he’s innocent in court: ‘I didn’t do it!’​

By
Elizabeth Rosner,

Georgett Roberts and

Jorge Fitz-Gibbon

January 24, 2023 7:08pm
Updated

The ex-con charged in the brutal 1994 double slaying of a Harlem mom and her daughter yelled out in a Manhattan courtroom to proclaim his innocence Tuesday.
“I’d like to say something, judge,” career criminal Larry Atkinson called out during his arraignment in Manhattan Criminal Court. “I didn’t do it!”
Atkinson, 64, wore jeans and an olive sweatshirt — and used a walker — as he appeared before Criminal Court Judge Jay Weiner facing two counts of second-degree murder in the case.
He was busted by the NYPD Cold Case Squad at 7:30 a.m. Monday in the decades-old deaths of Sarah Roberts, 57, and her 25-year-old daughter.
The two victims were found inside their apartment in the Grant Houses public housing complex on Feb. 20, 1994, with the case remaining a mystery until now.
Detectives used new DNA technology to link a cigarette butt and fingernail clippings from the crime scene to Atkinson, cops said.

Larry AtkinsonLarry Atkinson, 64, was arraigned on murder charges stemming from a 1994 Harlem double slaying.Steven Hirsch Larry Atkinson, 64.Atkinson was ordered to be held without bail despite his attorney’s saying the 64-year-old was ill with cancer and other health issues.Steven Hirsch

What do you think? Post a comment.

In court Tuesday, Atkinson’s lawyer argued for her ailing client to be released pending trial.

“My client is now in his 60s and he suffers from numerous medical conditions,” Legal Aid attorney Michelle Villasenor-Grant told the judge. “My client was diagnosed with prostate cancer 11 months ago, he gets chemo every week.”

Villasenor-Grant said Atkinson also has cataracts and is due for surgery next month.

The judge denied the request and ordered him held without bail.

Atkinson was dating a home health care aide who cared for Sharon Roberts, who was developmentally disabled, at the time of the killings, police said.

Double murder in Harlem in 1994. The 1994 strangulation deaths of Sarah Roberts and her daughter, Sharon, remain unsolved until this week, cops said.New York Post
The aide, Celeste Cornelius, still lives with the accused killer and defended him.

“I know he didn’t do it,” she said Monday outside their Harlem apartment. “I don’t want you to misquote me but I know he didn’t do it. I don’t care about the DNA — none of that mess. He didn’t do it.”

Cops found no evidence of forced entry in the sixth-floor apartment after the home attendant made the grisly discovery and called 911, The Post reported at the time.

Sarah Roberts was found on her bed and her daughter was on the floor with “a woolen stocking wrapped around her neck,” cops said in 1994.

Police said a cassette video recorder and several hundred dollars in cash were stolen, but it remains unclear why Atkinson allegedly killed the pair.

Sharon Roberts, 25.Sharon Atkinson, a 25-year-old special needs woman, was found strangled to death along with her mother in Harlem in 1994. Francis Spekcer/New York Post
Atkinson has a total of 28 arrests on his rap sheet and served state prison time on five separate occasions, according to the NYPD.

His time behind bars dates to 1985, when he was sentenced to two years in prison on an assault conviction and was paroled in 1987, online state records show.

Atkinson, who also did state time on assault, drug and attempted robbery raps, was last paroled in 2013 after serving another two years on an attempted drug sale conviction.

Back