Auckland Museum celebrates pillow-biters' festival

William of the White Hand

Junior News Editor
http://blog.aucklandmuseum.com/

Rainbow-museum-510x295.jpg

Auckland Museum is donning rainbow colours tonight to mark Auckland's Pride Festival

Marriage equality, gay marriage, just plain ‘marriage’ – however you want to say it, it is definitely in the news at the moment. Like many people, I have followed news stories from various countries which have debated this topic, and either allowed gay marriage or not – or in the case of California, subsequently repealed it… When the members’ bill from Louisa Wall was selected to be debated by Parliament in July 2012, the online world came alive with petitions asking for support for both pro-marriage and anti-marriage groups. It has even featured in some of St Matthew in the City’s famous billboards. When the bill passed its first hurdle last year, I felt proud to be a Kiwi. I was stoked that our politicians had shown the world that we are ready to have this discussion, and that New Zealand is still on the leading edge of social reform – just as we were in 2004, when we took the first step towards marriage equality. I love the idea that New Zealand is the kind of place where you can wear your beliefs on your chest. It takes a huge amount of guts to get out there and say ‘this is me, this is what I believe in, this is who I love’. In fact, I liked the t-shirt from Mr Vintage so much that I wore it to the Lust LATE last year.
Me-and-Siren-510x680.jpg

Collection Manager Megan Harvey in her "I do" t-shirt with colleague Collection Manager Siren Deluxe at the LATE Lust event

So this Friday night, the Museum will be donning her equivalent of my ‘I Do’ t-shirt to celebrate the Pride Parade taking place on Ponsonby Road tomorrow (Saturday, 16 February). Will you be going to the parade? Have you been to any of the other Auckland Pride Festival events? I’d love to know what t-shirts you wore…

Back