911 operator poses as cop, fondles 17 y.o. girl

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter

911 Dispatcher Accused Of Impersonating Officer, Fondling Girl

JACKSON, MIss. -- A Jackson woman called the police department last week looking for help, but what she got was a dispatcher who allegedly impersonated an officer and fondled her 17-year-old daughter.

The dispatcher, Travell Powell, was arrested Friday and booked with impersonating an officer and simple assault.

Investigators said instead of sending an officer, Powell responded to a 911 call from a woman who said her daughter was threatening to run away.

"He kept calling, and that's when I got suspicious," said Katherine Bridges.

Police said Powell made several trips to the Bridges' house, still posing as an officer. They said on one occasion, he fondled the girl.

Mayor Frank Melton called the behavior "inexcusable."

"I wa
nted two things to happen," he said. "I wanted the officer fired and then put in jail. I've got a 17-year-old now who's horrified of people who are supposed to be policeman, and this guy wasn't even a policeman."

Police fired Powell Friday and said this appears to be an isolated incident.

Powell had been on the job for just two months -- still within his probationary period.

"I want this to be a warning to anyone who works for the city that the same rules apply that apply to the general public will apply to me and will apply to any of the city employees that are on the tax payer payroll," Melton said.

Police said residents should always look for an officer's badge before letting him in their home.

What's the po
int of being a nigger if you can't act like a nigger.

T.N.B.

Back