3 Stories About Politics & Crime in Detroit

mr.mojo

Registered
detnews.com

Ecorse Mayor Pro Tem Theresa Peguese believes the Monday morning firebombing of her home was politically motivated.

Peguese, the first-term councilwoman, would not say why she believes that nor who may be responsible.

"I don't have a problem with anybody personally," said Peguese, who is up for re-election Nov. 8. "I've been accused of taking money and contracts while in office and they kept my name off the ballot. I don't know why someone would try to threaten me and my children's lives over a political race. That's the only problem I'm having in my life right now. I just thank God we're all alive."

Peguese was awakened by an explosion shortly before 4 a.m. and saw smoke in the hallway of her three-bedroom ranch on Ninth near

Francis. The councilwoman jumped out of the window; her husband and two sons -- one is a 18 and the
other is 10 -- escaped unharmed via a side door.

Ecorse firefighters were able to control the blaze, which damaged the living room.

The Michigan State Police Fire Investigation unit is looking into the case. Sgt. Kenneth Hersha knew of no motive Monday.

Hersha said the investigation found that the fire was started by a Molotov cocktail that was thrown through a window.

m011-firebombpeguese-1005y_10-11-2005_0791AMU.jpg

detnews.com

The son of mayoral candidate Freman Hendrix was arrested early Monday in Ann Arbor and was to be arraigned today on a charge of domestic violence, police and family members said.

Hendrix, flanked by his wife and daughter, told reporters outs
ide
his Rosedale Park home on Monday about the arrest but said he doesn't know details and hasn't been allowed to speak with his son, Stephen Hendrix, 21, an undergraduate at the University
of Michigan Business School.

"This incident will no doubt become a public issue," said Hendrix, who canceled his campaign appearances for the rest of the day.

Stephen Hendrix was to be charged with domestic violence, a misdemeanor.

m023-City4-0305y_03-23-2005_GL50DE3-2.jpg

Freman Hendrix

detnews.com

The Wayne County Prosecutor's Office may decide this week if it will request case files of the investigation into the alleged wild party at the Manoogian Mansion, the official residence of the Detroit mayor.

Maria Miller, the spokeswoman for Wayne County Prosecutor Kym
Worthy
, said Monday that her office had not received any information regarding the case from state Attorney General Mike Cox or the Michigan State Police.

The two agencies had been investigating the alleged incident.

"If we do receive something, we will thoroughly and completely review any
thing that is given to us," Miller said. "If we don't receive it later in the week, there will be a determination if we will request it."

Reports of a party involving strippers at the Manoogian Mansion in the fall of 2002 have swirled in Metro Detroit for three years.

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick has adamantly denied that such a party ever took place. On Monday, Ceeon Quiett, his spokeswoman, said: "He's not commenting on that at this time."

Kwame_Kilpatrick_060703.jpg

Kwame Kilpatrick

Back